Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • genesis longitude sizing query
  • burko73

Hi

The observant of you will know I just bought a Longitude (2017) F&F to build up. I ordered a medium. What has arrived was in a large box, I don’t know if it was the correct box. I had a bargain on the frame.

on the bb shell is stamped 8 L-480 opposite the frame no. The Genesis sizing for a large (centre BB to top) is 480mm or 19″. I measured my seat tube from mid bb shell to the top of the seat collar flush with the top of seat tube and its approx 480mm/ 19″.

I’m guessing then that I’ve been sent a Large. I just wanted to confirm this and that the convention is to measure to top of seat tube and not the top of the top tube where it meets the seat tube (Ie where you get the standover height) surely it would say this in the Genesis catalogue.

I’m 5’8″ on a good day and usually I ride a 17.5″ frame – my last genesis, a latitude is a 16.5″ and if anything thats a little too small.

Thing is, I don’t want to go build it and find out it’s too long/ high. I’d rather send it back, get the right size.

survivor

Not sure on new model but the 2015 is longitude in name and long in nature. Top tube is massive.

Check the reach on your frame will be ok for you as well. You might be able to live with a slightly longer seat tube.

burko73

That was my worry really, the top tube length. How is tt length measured?

jimdubleyou

Is there a nice geometry picture on their website showing where things are measured to / from?

steezysix
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ and have ordered a large, which is about 30mm longer than my 19″ High Latitude – I atually wanted a bit more length for all/multi day rides, but even if you use a really short stem it sounds like you will be a bit stretched out. Personally I’d sent it back and get the right size. If you’ve been sent the wrong size in error, legally it’s up to the bike shop to cover any postage/collection costs.

STATO
    Free Member

survivor – Member
    Not sure on new model but the 2015 is longitude in name

…but is a completely different bike.

FYI, the easyest way the determine the size of a bike if your not sure… is to measure the headtube and compare that to the geo chart 😀 . Its usually easier to measure the headtube as there is no ambiguity in where to measure to (as long as they change length each size obviously, some frames dont). In the genesis case its 95mm for the medium and 105mm for the large.

If you know the age of your old latitude you could compare the reach/stack with the newer bikes. Thats the important factor.

Hooter
    Free Member

It’s a size large you’ve got, you can see on the website the 19″ size measure is from centre of BB to top of seat tube. I’m 5’8″ and ride a size small frame from the first year they made them (2014?), I’d be worried even a medium would be too reachy for me.

burko73

Stato, I did try the headtube trick but I think the genesis website must be wrong as the headtube end to end is 145mm. Obviously I haven’t included the headset in this measurement in case anyone thinks I have.

It’s deffo a large. The genesis diagram shows centre of bb shell to top of seat tube. That makes 480mm and that makes it a large. I emailed the guy this morning and he’ll take it back and give me a refund. I found a compete bike in a medium which I fancy and by the time I’ve built this one up it’s prob better value to go the whole bike route as so much has changed from my old genesis.

letmetalktomark

145mm HT would indicate a L.

My XL has a 160mm HT.

burko73

Yep, it’s going back. It’s a l

Unless anyone wants it and can pick up from the new forest?

STATO
    Free Member

Stato, I did try the headtube trick but I think the genesis website must be wrong as the headtube end to end is 145mm. Obviously I haven’t included the headset in this measurement in case anyone thinks I have.

Hmm, i bet they have listed the previous versions Geo chart which had the option of a sus fork.

bohngy
    Free Member

Where did you buy it from, Burko? How much of ‘a deal’ was it?

burko73

its mint, if you’re interested pm me. Otherwise I’ll send it back.

burko73

the guy took it back and refunded me no probs, paid postage etc. offered me a medium frame for the same price but stripped down from a complete bike or the whole medium bike with the same discount and free postage. great customer service after a genuine mistake. I went for the complete bike in the end. cheaper than building it myself!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘genesis longitude sizing query’ is closed to new replies.