Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Genesis longitude-29+
  • beefy

So, I have a new longitude frame and fork. Very nice it is too.

I was looking for a 29+ frame that would work with hub gears but the only options I could find were surly’s, but they were not available until next year.

I stumbled across the longitude and decided to build it as a plus mullet as I couldn’t find any alternative.

Thing is, now I have it built up with 27.5+, there is LOADS of room in the back for a 29+ wheel.

Does anyone run it as a 29+?

p7eaven
    Free Member

I have the ‘designed for 29+‘ Longitude MK1 (2015)frame, yet my rims aren’t wide enough to yet enable it’s demi-fat superpowers. I run it as a 20spd gravelthing on 2.2s and it bollocks across pretty much everything at a decent rate except for jumps and washboards. To make it more versatile I think I’d like wider rims/tyres but not convinced that the current mix of terrain I travel on it would warrant the extra hassle\expense

Everything I’ve read says that consecutive models (MK2 – ) are 27.5+/standard 29?

That doesn’t necessarily mean that I’ve been given good information. How’s the chain clearance on yrs?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Apparently the Unit X can also run 29+

sillyoldman

Pretty sure it has room for 29+ but BB height may end up too high depending on your preferences.

andy5390

There was plenty room on mine for 29×2.4, not sure about a + size though. Doubt they would have been any good on a i19 rim 😀

beefy

Ok, so here is the clearance at the back. I think the rear wheel is not dished properly (I built it) so it can go over a bit and I am running a hub gear so the chain line is constant, this can also be moved over a bit.

Longitude

beefy

Why won’t this work!!!

beefy

Why can’t I post an image!?!?!

beefy
    bungalistic
    Free Member

Right click on your image link, copy image address, post inside the IMG tag

chainstay space

beefy

Ta.

steezysix
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s any difference between the 2015 (29+) and the 2017-current (27.5+) frame, only the 2016 was different, then they switched back. Someone else might know for sure though. I’ve got 27.5×3.0″ tyres in mine, clearance is at the limit on the sides like yours but there’s definitely over 19mm free both at the frame and fork which should be all you need for the bigger wheelsize?

letmetalktomark

What year is yours?

I believe there was a cross over year when some of the 29 plus frames were the same as the 29/650b frames that came next.

My 29 plus frame has about that ^^ clearance with a Chronicle on a RH rim running a pair of Surly Monkey Nuts as the frame has looooong slotted track ends

Seeing that I’d be tempted to give it a go pending where the wheel sits in the dropout.

beefy

Mine is a 2020 version (I think).

I have a 29+ Up front and it does fit with no apparent issues.

Just curious why they would say the max tyre size was 27.5×2.8.

Hey ho, will give it a go and see.

steezysix
    Free Member

Just curious why they would say the max tyre size was 27.5×2.8

I think it’s because that’s the max tyre size you can run with the stock 2x gearing, any bigger and the chain rubs the tyre in the lowest gears. With a 1x system that’s not such an issue.

beefy

That makes sense. Hurrah for hub gears then!

johnhe

Let us know how you get on, I don’t have a 29-er. But after running 2.6 tyres on my 27.5 hardtail, I never again want to run any tyre thinner than that. They’re wonderful.

letmetalktomark

Don’t forget you can usually flip an Alfine sprocket so it’s dished “out” for even moar clearance 😎

andyjm
    Free Member

What crankset are you using to enable hub gears on the Longitude? I’ve been trying to figure it out but even with flipping the sprocket I can’t work out how to get a decent chainline!

beefy

I am using a truvativ 4 arm 104bcd chain set, not sure of the exact one, got the chainring mounted on the inner side of the arms. I have put one spacer on the bb to move it out a little more.

I messed about with this for ages as I was getting a bit of tyre rub when the chain was slack. I have now found an elegantly simple solution, I have dished the wheel slightly towards the left hand side.

Works perfectly well and no chain rub. No doubt haters will comment about how the world may now well end, but so far it’s been fine.

Dunno if I mentioned it, but I am running this as a mullet at the moment with a 29+ on the front and a 27.5+ on the back as I am just waiting on a rim. 29+ definitely fits though.

johnmcandrew
    Free Member

Old thread but yesterday I managed to squeeze in a Hugo 52mm rim with a 29×3″ Knard into the 2018. Still runs 2×10 but needs a boost crank to do so. The chain only has about 3mm of clearance from the tyre but it is a true 29 plus.

kaiser
    Free Member

That’s interesting re the boost crank .
    I contacted Genesis and asked them about whether all models would take 29 plus in the rear . They replied that they should do but you’d have to run a single ring up front to avoid chain tyre rub . Nothing like certainty !
    I was lucky enough to be given a 2015 frame by an incredibly generous fellow STWer but haven’t built her up yet.
    Agree re the fatter tyres .. pump them hard and fine on road but drop the pressures with tubeless and wonderful off road too.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.