Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Genesis Fortitude
  • Clink

Don’t suppose anyone has ridden on yet, or seen a review other than stuff on their website?

kazafaza
    Free Member

Delivery scheduled for 2nd March, test ride for the 3rd…I’ll keep you updated.

Clink

ta

kazafaza
    Free Member

Frame delivered to supplier yesterday, needs to go through QC, hopefully I’ll be able to assemble it by next weekend! I will let you know as soon as I lay my mitts on it, if you’re anywhere near Brum you’re more than welcome to try it out(size 20,5″)

spyke85
    Free Member

One is apparently arriving in Edinburgh Bikes, Manchester for display this coming week

takisawa2

What happened to the fleet of prototypes they had in that video…why not get them sent to a few dealers to at least let folk get to see one in the flesh, even if they are pre-production samples. I wonder how many folk have bought a Solaris or Swift instead of waiting.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

pretty sure i saw one in a box at 18bikes on Thursday.

sillyoldman

They’re at dealers now – saw one on Wednesday.

Had a go on a sample version and loved it – Alfine’s not for me, but otherwise very nice.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…I wonder how many folk have bought a Solaris or Swift instead of waiting.

different fish though aren’t they.

aren’t they? – the fortitude’s a rigid-fork design.

Alfine’s rigid’s not for me, but otherwise very nice.

(just my opinion, but it would have made more sense to me if the fork was a ‘suspension equivalent’ length, allowing us to fit suspension forks if we wanted without doing anything weird to the handling)

sillyoldman

They’re on their way from Genesis ahwiles. Alu, and steel options. SS and geared options on the steel bikes. Look lush.

spyke85
    Free Member

Think you’ll find they are all steel

sillyoldman

Fortitudes are all steel. New range that’s coming (to compliment rather than replace) is alu and steel.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Still with the supplier being QC’d. Was told early next week, can’t wait, will update as soon as I’ve got it!

fishandchips
    Free Member

The prototype from the ice bike vid actually belongs to a mate of mine. Had a quick blast a few months ago and wow. Dom has spent a long time getting the range right and he should rightly be proud, they’re going to be a big hit.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

kazafaza- thats some serious QC- 5 days!!

kazafaza
    Free Member

tell me about it, I’m standing still with the tools ready for last week or so…

stevebrc
    Free Member

The Race and Adventure and frame sets are available now, the SS has been held up in QC, something wasn’t 100% so they are awaiting replacement parts to land before sending them out. Last I heard, they should be in store by the end of the month.

I’ve an Adventure, only a few rides on it at present as the Alfine wasn’t 100%, but initial impressions are very positive.

STATO
    Free Member

I’ve an Adventure, only a few rides on it at present as the Alfine wasn’t 100%, but initial impressions are very positive.

Do you have any experience of other 29ers you can give us a comparison to?

bi6al
    Free Member

my lbs has one looks good.
    Genesis Fortitude 29er

oxym0r0n

Problem with the rear hubs on the ss ones apparently – a friend has one on order

sheck

Really interested in the bike, like the concept, but have one big nagging doubt… my limited understanding of 29ers is that they either need a steep head angle, or a custom fork offset to deal with the characteristics of the big wheel. The Fortitude is based around a standard 440mm rigid fork with 40mm offset (just like my Pace RC31 – which could be a good thing) however, given it’s 69.5 deg head angle – this seems to ignore the stated wisdom of 29er geometry… could it be that current trends towards shorter stems enable this kind of thing or am I missing something?

amplebrew

stevebrc – Member

If you don’t mind me asking…..

What was the issue with the Alfine?

ahwiles
    Free Member

sheck – Member

Really interested in the bike, like the concept, but have one big nagging doubt… my limited understanding of 29ers is that they either need a steep head angle, or a custom fork offset to deal with the characteristics of the big wheel. The Fortitude is based around a standard 440mm rigid fork with 40mm offset (just like my Pace RC31 – which could be a good thing) however, given it’s 69.5 deg head angle – this seems to ignore the stated wisdom of 29er geometry… could it be that current trends towards shorter stems enable this kind of thing or am I missing something?

69.5 degrees? and 700c wheels – it’s practically a road bike…

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

cant put a front mech on it though and an alfine doesn’t go low enough for mountains. shame AS THEY FEEL WONDERFUL

jameso

The Fortitude is based around a standard 440mm rigid fork with 40mm offset (just like my Pace RC31 – which could be a good thing) however, given it’s 69.5 deg head angle – this seems to ignore the stated wisdom of 29er geometry… could it be that current trends towards shorter stems enable this kind of thing

Shorter stems of 60-80mm have been popular for years, it’s not really a current trend. Stated wisdom on 29ers used to be steep head angles to offset the wheel radius but that’s (imo) why a lot of people think 29ers are rubbish – too much weight over the front. The steering trail figures from this set up work out pretty consistent with a 26″ ‘trail’ bike and there’s plenty of choice of 26″ sus-corrected forks that work well for rigid 29ers that aren’t sus-corrected. Shorter forks are better forks.

sheck

I’m not questioning the fortitude… More the fact that for so long 29ers had 72 deg head angles or offset forks. The fact I can use my current rc31 is a bonus but genesis seem to be ploughing their own furrow on this one… .?

Clink

shame AS THEY FEEL WONDERFUL

Alfine or frame?

STATO
    Free Member

I’m not questioning the fortitude… More the fact that for so long 29ers had 72 deg head angles or offset forks. The fact I can use my current rc31 is a bonus but genesis seem to be ploughing their own furrow on this one… .?

Not so long ago 26″ was all about 71deg HA and a ‘DH bike’ was 67-69. Now even 100mm XC bikes are knocking slack angles and DH bikes are practically choppers, and last time i checked no-one had changed the fork offset. Slack is where its at! ;0)

jameso

sheck, that’s just my 2p, not saying it’s right. high offset forks can be great, but i think the main thing is trail numbers and where the bars are compared to the axle (assuming a ‘normal’ stem).

stevebrc
    Free Member

To answer the Q’s above aimed at me….

I’ve tried many 29ers over the years, none felt quite right. Now, upto 18 months ago my riding was much much more aggressive, with “pretend” DH playing. Big part of it, so back then my needs were very different. A knee injury and subsequent operation have meant a total change in my riding, so a 29er working for me now might be as much to do with my different style of riding to 29erz just getting better.

But, previous 29ers just felt cumbersome, like a road bike off road. For me, the Fortitude (and other new generation 29ers) feel far more MTB like.

As for the Alfine, the gears didn’t feel right when shifting. Again, my riding has changed a lot in the last few years, as in that time all I’ve ridden is SS, so it might just be the fact I now don’t like gears, but for the money involved I just didn’t think it shifted as well as it should. Other Alfine bikes I’ve tried felt better, but it might all be in my head. Still, Shimano offered to change the internals, just in case.

I don’t want to plug my business here, I’m not posting here for that, but to answer the other questions raised about the Fortitude, there is a tiny blog post about it on my shop blog, http://www.realcycles.co.uk. Bear in mind I’m not a writer!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Any chance of a Fortitude 26″ being released? I’d be interested and I’m sure there would be a market for it…

amplebrew

stevebrc – Member
    To answer the Q’s above aimed at me….

As for the Alfine, the gears didn’t feel right when shifting. Again, my riding has changed a lot in the last few years, as in that time all I’ve ridden is SS, so it might just be the fact I now don’t like gears, but for the money involved I just didn’t think it shifted as well as it should. Other Alfine bikes I’ve tried felt better, but it might all be in my head. Still, Shimano offered to change the internals, just in case.

Thanks Steve

kazafaza
    Free Member

Built last week, 20,5″ frame with Salsa Cromoto 468mm fork, single speed at the moment…Sturmey Archer 3spd next week or so!

Love the bike, the nicest steel 29er ever ridden, I use it mainly for commuting with 2.35″ Big Apples and for a little bit of towpath, leisure etc., nothing extreme. Good choice after riding iO SS for a few years!

amplebrew

kazafaza – Member

Built last week, 20,5″ frame with Salsa Cromoto 468mm fork, single speed at the moment…Sturmey Archer 3spd next week or so!

Love the bike, the nicest steel 29er ever ridden, I use it mainly for commuting with 2.35″ Big Apples and for a little bit of towpath, leisure etc., nothing extreme. Good choice after riding iO SS for a few years!

What’s the finish like on the frame, welds and paint etc?

Clink

Why the longer fork?

kazafaza
    Free Member

amplebrew: welds are really nice and neat, paint job had one very small chip, apart from it it seems to be nicely done and fairly tough – after leaning against some metal pole it’s still scratch-free!

Clink: I prefer slightly more upright position, sent an email to Genesis and they say although the handling might be somewhat affected it should be fine with the frame in terms of stress and the warranty should not be void. I’m not going to use it for mtb though, it’ll be mainly used for commuting with a little bit of touring and baby carrying option;)

amplebrew

kazafaza – Member
    amplebrew: welds are really nice and neat, paint job had one very small chip, apart from it it seems to be nicely done and fairly tough – after leaning against some metal pole it’s still scratch-free!

Cool, all sounds positive.

Just wish they made them with a gear hanger. I’m not really convinced about the Alfine yet.

I was orginally considering selling my Kona singlespeed and replacing it with a Fortitude Adventure which I was going to use for mountain biking and cycling to work. I’m not convinced however that an Alfine will offer enough spread of gears for me; especially for some of my more hilly routes.

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

Clink
    the frame/ride feels wonderful. but you can’t put a front mech on it so I can’t ride it up mountains when loaded up with my ‘Adventure’ gear strapped to it.
    Andy

stevebrc
    Free Member

The Fortitude Race, bike and frame, has mech hanger.

amplebrew

stevebrc – Member
    The Fortitude Race, bike and frame, has mech hanger.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

The problem with the Race is that it doesn’t have the rack mounts that the Adventure has.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Fortitude’ is closed to new replies.