Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Genesis Day One Sizing Advice…
  • oddnumber
    Free Member

Morning all, I’m looking for a steel single speed for no other reason than i miss having just one gear. I’ve been looking for a Pompino for a while but nothing suitable has come up, so I’ve looked further afield and quite like the Day One. I’m 176cm (5’9ish) so top end medium/bottom end large in terms of frame sizing.

Has anyone got one who is around my height, and if so which size did you go for? I’d really appreciate the advice, ta.

colin9

I have a 2015 Day One. I’m 6’2. The bike is a size 56. It fits me fine with plenty of standover for off road. However, I see Genesis have moved to Medium/Large etc. now so I’m not sure this information will be any help to you!

rsl1
    Free Member

I got a large from biketart (good deals a few months ago) I’m 185cm and would say the large is a bit of a gate. At 176 I think you might struggle – I’m at the limits of my reach really, although I was used to a smaller nippy vapour prior to that.

2 thoughts, if you live somewhere flat, allow price for changing ratios. It’s ideally geared to get up occasional steep hill but 30mph is a pipe dream. Also the head angle is pretty slack so it’s not particularly nippy. The mudguards are awesome though, front reaches right to the floor so even feet stay dry

sillyoldman

Medium

kazafaza
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ with shorty legs and lots of torso and I’ve had the Reynolds 520 version in 58cm which was a good fit, and then the 2016(?) Decade version in Large which was great if a tad too small and then swapped to the X-Large which was a bit of a gate.
    I would definitelly advice against the Large for someone at 5’9″ – it’s easier to make small bike bigger than the other way round.

martymac

I’m 5’9”, i have four bikes, 3 of them are medium.
    The road bike is a56cm, so technically a large, but i sized up as my lbs advised it was quite short.
    I’d say go medium.
    Edit: 4 bikes from 3 different manufacturers.

w00dster

I had the Day One Disc, CDF and the Flyer. I’m 174cm. I was on a Medium (54) on the Day One and it was a smidge too big, went for a 52 in the others.
    (I prefer small frames in my road bikes, I generally ride a 51 or a 52 frame with a longer stem)

oddnumber
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks all I really appreciate it. I was erring on the side of sizing down, as I generally tend to do, and that’s confirmed it.

Generally how do you like the Day One? The spec looks pretty good but for the cup and cone hubs. I have a weird thing about them, probably irrationally.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2016 ish Day One Disk 52cm – I’m 5’9″ with out a 30″ inseam and it fits me nice 🙂

Great bike btw – cant go far wrong with it.

martymac

A mate has a day one 853, it’s a good bike, all the parts are well thought out and of good quality.
    In fact, id say that’s true of all genesis bikes.
    Cup/cone hubs are fine, just make sure there’s grease in em.

kazafaza
    Free Member

…because it’s always nice to look at some bike pics:

day1
    day1a
    null
    decade1
    decade1a

darkroomtim
    Free Member

null

oddnumber
    Free Member

How do they fare off road? That’s what drew me to the Pompino originally.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

I use mine for mild off-road local training ride – goes well enough – fairly comfy ( due to steel I guess) – run 35c WTB CrossBoss – single speed means very little maintenance and good for fitness.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Day One Sizing Advice…’ is closed to new replies.