Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Genesis Croix de fer opinions
  • mr_stru

Looking to get one of these through the bike to work scheme and thought I’d see if anyone here has one and what they think of it.

It’ll be to replace my Trek 1000 which is fine but I fancy something that’s I can take through some of the woods that are sort of on my commute. And also fed up of watching brake pads dissolve in the rain.

Kahurangi

I like mine. Put fat slicks and mudguards on it and does everything I want it to. Might even put the knobblies back on in the summer. The discs were a little squeally but better now. It’s fairly heavy compared to a similar priced road/ss but I imagine there’s a fair bit of scope to loose weight. Replaced the rusty cheese chain to stop the cassette dissolving.

Onzadog
    Free Member

will it take a rack without resorting to P clips?

mr_stru

Onzadog: as far as I can tell it has rackmounts.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

It has rackmounts. Thought it was what I wanted – replace the road bike with something tougher (commute, touring and a wee bit of CX racing… maybe) – that was until I lifted it!!! weighs more than a similar priced (and better specced) MTB. Looks good but not convinced so bought a Cannondale CAAD9 instead… 08 model for 1k down from £1200.

What a bike… light, tough and more nippy than the genesis.

I would consider the Genesis, but try a ‘dale or the Specialized Tricross first.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a Tricross which does everything I want but I’m not happy with the brakes. I’m really not sold on the mini V STi lever set up. Pads are set really close to the rims and I can still get the lever to the bars while braking. That’s why I’m thinking of a new frame/fraks and fitting Avid BB7s

mr_stru

When you say heavy do you have any idea of how heavy?

That said I mostly intend to use it as a commuting bike so it’ll be lumbered with a rack and panniers anyway.

james-o
    Free Member

i’ve not weighed one but i think its around 23 1/2 – 24lbs – if you can get an mtb for a grand under 26lbs you’re doing very well, but yes it is heavier than an alu ‘cross or road bike. it will be, it’s steel, pretty tough, and has discs. there is nothing to really compare it against that i know of but if there is i’d expect it to be a very similar weight or heavier.
    there’s no overweight kit on it, the rims, stem, saddle etc are all light, forks are 650g with alu steerer for example, but a steel crosser with discs will never be a light bike in comparison to a road bike.

boxelder

james-o
    I’m after some carbon cx forks with disc mount. Do Genesis sell them separately.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Croix de fer opinions’ is closed to new replies.