• This topic has 79 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Genesis 27.5+ hardtail.
  • iainc

our C2W scheme is May, here’s hoping I can delay using voucher and squeeze one in somehow….

cokie

That looks like a fun bike.
    Sounds like Genesis has the best two build options- budget/functional and bling/light.

I’m intrigued as to what fork will be able to take 27.5+.
    I think I’m in for the budget version.

scotroutes

Alb – will the rigid fork be available to buy separately (for those wanting an option)?

rOcKeTdOg

Will it still be 148mm spacing?

It’s a good job an lbs told me yesterday all the longtitude framesets are sold out

Alb
    Free Member

Sorry, forgot the frameset option. It’ll ship with frame, rigid fork, rear thru-axle and headset. We’ll be carrying fork spare stock also. Fork-wise existing 29er dimensions apply (120mm sus corrected – 495mm a-c/51mm offset). Frame will be 148x12mm spaced, fork 110x15mm

cokie

This will be cracker. Hope the weight is reasonable.
    Question is, will Hope do some 148×12 spacers for the normal Pro II..

superstu
    Free Member

Great to get some further insight, thanks Alb. On my wanted list!

scotroutes

And 110×15?

Andy-R

Have I missed it somewhere? – is the rigid fork steel (I very much hope so) or aluminium (I hope not…)

scotroutes

I’d say steel

Alb
    Free Member

It’s aluminium. Suspension-corrected at a height of 495mm out of steel would req. 31.8mm fork blades to get it through current EN and future ISO testing regs. The thinking was that the increased air volume from the 3.0″ tyre helps to take some sting out of the move to an aluminium fork with the added bonus that you’re not left with a boat anchor out front (and that’s without factoring in a steel tapered steerer – not sure that’d you’d need it though tbh). Very limited options for thru-axle dropouts in steel vs. aluminium too – unless you tool up for your own casting. Would’ve loved to have gone with a steel fork but the cons outweighed the pros on this one.

iainc

Real pity its going to be over the C2W limit 🙁

Gotama
    Free Member

What’s the head angle with a 120mm fork? Also chainstay as well please? And lastly given its 650b+ will a 29er 2.4 ardent fit in the rear or is the outer diameter too big for the stays?

Edit sorry just seen the headangle is 68 with a 120mm fork.

Andy-R

Alb – Member
    It’s aluminium. Would’ve loved to have gone with a steel fork but the cons outweighed the pros on this one

😥

fudge9202
    Free Member

After all that info, still want one!

Gotama
    Free Member

Andy – if you can spare a few more pennies then the Kinesis carbon fork is 490mm corrected and I’m pretty certain can take a knard so should take a 650b+ if the genesis fork doesn’t work for you.

sillyoldman

Kinesis fork is too narrow – got one on my High Latitude, and a 29×3.00 Chronicle on my Fortitude. Wafer thin clearance on the combo – not enough to be practical.

Better to build the bike right rather than hit C2W – esp as that bike would clearly ripping the piss out of C2W.
    😉

Gotama
    Free Member

^^^ I stand corrected 😀

Andy-R

Gotama – Member
    Andy – if you can spare a few more pennies then the Kinesis carbon fork is 490mm corrected and I’m pretty certain can take a knard so should take a 650b+ if the genesis fork doesn’t work for you.

I’m sure the Genesis fork would be fine – it’s just me, I’ve never liked aluminium rigid forks, even the idea of them. Or carbon, for that matter.

sillyoldman

Alloy fork will be grand. Got a Jones unicrown on the Fortitude. Cush comes from the Chronicle, not the fork.

riddoch

hope boost 148 hub
    So hope are doing a boost 148 hub but it has a different shell so maybe no converter cokie.

iainc

fair pointe re getting the spec right rather than hitting the magic £1k C2W, although I disagree that such a bike on the scheme would be ripping the p… – the ethos of many of the schemes, incl my Employers one, is to get a fitter workforce, who are in theory less sick and better motivated and in this regard they aren’t too fussed that the bike isn’t used for regular commuting….

anyway, back on topic, looking forward to hearing full spec details and more info on launch date and costings when they are available 🙂

fudge9202
    Free Member

Seatpost size for dropper?

cupra
    Free Member

Well that looks like my next bike sorted and it gives me time to save up some pennies 🙂

iainc

interestingly, looking on the Genesis site at spec and price of the Longitude, this looks similarly specced in Deore guise, so would hope it could be similarly priced as a 27.5 equivalent… ? The Longitude is £1k.

coomber
    Free Member

Ianinc see above

A smidgen over unfortunately. Still a limited pool of parts to choose from so this hikes up the spec (and therefore price) in areas we’d ideally go with lower level parts to meet a certain pricepoint. Mainly hubs, rims and tyres in this particular case. Lower level stuff will undoubtedly follow but it’ll take a while to filter down.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

iainc – Member

our C2W scheme is May, here’s hoping I can delay using voucher and squeeze one in somehow….

Ahhh… just as well our C2W scheme allows bikes up to 3K 8)

iainc

nobeer – you really can be annoying when you try 🙂 Will have to see what our LBS guys can do…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks Iain, you’re making me blush…

I’m sure our LBS guys may play a blinder, as ever…

iainc

🙂

Alb
    Free Member

Seatpost size for dropper?

31.6mm – stealth dropper port on the ST. Shares the cable routing along the DT for the side-swing FD. Trying to find a decent length shim to offer the more affordable model with a shimmed 27.2mm post.

cokie

Trying to find a decent length shim to offer the more affordable model with a shimmed 27.2mm post.

Interesting.. is the 27.2mm to try and incorporate more flex and make it more comfortable? Surely the large ST diameter will negate this. Plus, as you say with the Ali fork, the 3.0” tyres offer enough give to take away the sting.

Personally I’d prefer the 31.6mm post. I hate shims.

avdave2

I’d like something very much like that with 100/135 spacing to allow me to use my Son dynamo hub and Rohloff, obviously I’d also want an ebb or sliding dropouts. It seems to me that it would make a great winter bike set up like that. In fact for me it would probably be the only bike I’d want all year round.

fudge9202
    Free Member

@Alb cheers for that, 31.6mm dropper. A straight swap over with my Thomson dropper post, ace.

iainc

so in the real world how would this, in rigid mode, compare to a Longitude ? My other mtb is a Soul…

Paceman
    Free Member

iainc – Member

so in the real world how would this, in rigid mode, compare to a Longitude ? My other mtb is a Soul…

650B… the trails will come alive 😉

I ride a Surly Krampus with 50mm rims and 3″ tyres (very similar to a Longitude) so would also be interested to demo one of these as a comparison.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Found a photo of the FF29 B+ at Core Bike. Not the best photo I’m afraid but I’d have it over the Genesis any day. It just looked so much more compact.

[/url]FF29 B+ by perfectbalancecycles, on Flickr[/img]

iainc

Paceman – Member

iainc – Member

650B… the trails will come alive 🙂

I ride a Surly Krampus with 50mm rims and 3″ tyres (very similar to a Longitude) so would also be interested to demo one of these as a comparison.

🙂

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I have to say, it does just scream fun exactly as it is there. I am more interested in the Monstercross though, that doesn’t seem to have generated as much interest.

iainc

^^ It does look like a lot of fun 🙂 I do wonder whether it would be ‘different enough’ to my conventional hard tail, but I reckon for winter mank and some wilder adventure stuff it most likely would be…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Genesis 27.5+ hardtail.’ is closed to new replies.