• This topic has 79 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Genesis 27.5+ hardtail.
  • Andy-R

That’ll do me, just like that with rigid forks – that’ll do everything that I want to do. Perfect 8)

When’s it available?

superstu
    Free Member

That looks lovely. Want.

steveoath
    Free Member

+1000000

fudge9202
    Free Member

Suit me too, that is very nice and will do everything I need.

rOcKeTdOg

Bung a carbon fork on it & I’m in

velomanic
    Free Member

Looks like a whole lot of fun 🙂

scotroutes

What size is that new Aksium wheel on the road bike beside it?

BigDummy
    Free Member

This looks brilliant!

I’ve wanted a Krampus since I first saw pictures of them, but it looks as if “+” is going to be 650B+ rather than 29+ as a mainstream platform. It’s all good.

🙂

sheephills
    Free Member

looks really good,
    looks like it need a really short stem..

iainc

really hope the Deore one comes in at a C2W price band 🙂

faustus

Looks fantastic, just don’t want to see yet another axle ‘standard’. I understand why they needed to do it for this bike, but 148/110mm…

650b+ Maxxis chronicle very interesting too…

matty456
    Free Member

Defo need a like button on here!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Wheel standards fail, though.

We’ve already had a 110 axle which was better.

We already have a larger rear axle standard.

Not to mention the other larger axle standards that fat bikes already have. It just seems like enormously hard work to make it ride a certain way whilst dodging existing standards, all for marginal benefit for the people that will end up riding it- most likely not particularly talented nichemongers.

It looks a laugh, but it’s pointlessly impractical as it is.

scotroutes

Oh, it’s completely practical – just **** annoying.

BillOddie

Pressfit BB – yukky.

Rest looks ace though!

Paceman
    Free Member

It looks a laugh, but it’s pointlessly impractical as it is.

This is only a prototype, they’ll sort that out at production stage you’d hope. Personally I like it; I ride a Krampus which I love to bits and this looks like it could well be just as good.

TimP
    Free Member

But different
    😆

Paceman
    Free Member

Yes Tim, i’m sure 1.5″ smaller wheels will make all the difference 😉

rOcKeTdOg

for marginal benefit for the people that will end up riding it- most likely not particularly talented nichemongers.

If talent was the qualifier to ride any bike I’d have given up years ago. What a narrow minded thing to say.

iainc

I think it could be a real success. I for one would like a test ride, as am slightly ‘fat bike curious’ but really cant justify one. Most of my riding is tecky natural west of Scotland xc stuff, and my sole MTB is a Soul with 120 travel and reverb. I reckon that Genesis would compliment it well for a different angle on the same stuff, without going ‘fully fat’. I have been thinking about a Genesis Caribou, but that somehow looks more appropriate..

munrobiker
    Free Member

Rocketdog- talent is no qualifier. But 95% of people that ride bikes aren’t particularly talented, and probably won’t find the benefits of 148 noticeable, or more importantly worth the hassle of trying to find an axle for it in the nearest bike shop having left theirs on the garage floor at home when they were loading the car.

I suspect that the 5% that are talented won’t be particularly interested in a rigid 650b+ Genesis.

rOcKeTdOg

True, Be easy to make it 135/100mm after all genesis make a 29+ compatible with those standards, I suspect it’s a “coz we can” exercise & production might be different. It’s done its job & got us talking about it though

Paceman
    Free Member

It certainly has. I’d prefer a different colour if I was being really picky 😀

sparkyrhino

I could find space for one.

scotroutes

As I understand it, we can have 3″ tyres (like the Krampus) with a 135mm backend (like the Krampus) and a 73mm BB (like the Krampus) as long as we have a single ring up front. Or we can have 2/3 rings up front if we do away with the larger cogs on the cassette. Funny how Surly managed to make all that work and yet now we need more “standards”.

zinaru
    Free Member

i think that looks great

coomber
    Free Member

With deore kit that should sneak in under a grand and cycle to work schemes I’d guess. Looks superb

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Not convinced myself I’m afraid.
    The STW blurb on that bike describes it as ‘long and low’ and ‘slack angled’. If you’re going to have a long bike then why not use the space to fit the biggest wheels you can ie 29+.
    Slack angled implies the intention of rattling down steep, rough trails as fast as possible. If that was going to form a significant part of my riding I’d ride a bike with at least front suspension.
    At Core Bike I saw a Kinesis FF29 fitted with 650B+ wheels and rigid fork. That looked superb, compact and just the tool for ripping up rooty singletrack.

Gotama
    Free Member

I suspect it has been designed around impending suspension fork releases as alluded in the article (although not sure why given i’d have thought a 650b+ must fit a decent size 29er fork) as that rigid fork looks sus corrected to me if we assume the outer diameter is roughly the same as a 29er.

jameso

The STW blurb on that bike describes it as ‘long and low’ and ‘slack angled’. If you’re going to have a long bike then why not use the space to fit the biggest wheels you can ie 29+.
    Slack angled implies the intention of rattling down steep, rough trails as fast as possible. If that was going to form a significant part of my riding I’d ride a bike with at least front suspension

Looks sus-corrected with a good inch shorter back end than a 29+ bike. Boost standard forks due along fairly soon, more room than the forks that have had WTB 2.8s in at some shows. Those tyres look a fair bit bigger. Bike looks good in a back-in-black way : )

cupra
    Free Member

As has been said it looks sus corrected. Having owned three 29+ bikes and finding them all a bit unwieldy for serious trail riding, this looks ideal.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Anyone know of a launch date or confirmed specs.

bikeneil
    Free Member

[/quote]Anyone know of a launch date or confirmed specs.

Have you asked Genesis?

cupra
    Free Member

I have asked Genesis and they haven’t replied. If and when they do I’ll post up on here with anything useful.

Alb
    Free Member

Pleased to say that a few days ago we figured out a way to run a std 73mm threaded BB without having to resort either a press-fit BB (for additional weld surface area) or an expensive and heavy chainstay yoke and still good tyre clearance. That’s what it’ll be running in production guise. Still using the driveside plate but with a heavily worked non-driveside chainstay (1x/2x compatible). Plan is to have it as part of our 2016 lineup available later this summer. x2 models – one affordable build running Deore 2×10 and the rigid fork and another running a new 1×11 groupset, dropper post, new 120mm trail forks (w/35mm stanchions) and some new tubeless tyres. The idea behind the rigid forks was two-fold – have product early as poss. (the suspension fork manuf. don’t seem to be able to react as quickly as the tyre/rim folks) and also have an affordable option. Happy to answer any other questions but can’t go into too much detail about build kit as a lot of it is still to be announced.

TimP
    Free Member

What do Genesis consider “affordable”? Is that going to squeeze in under a grand?

Paceman
    Free Member

They’ll sell lots of those if they can sneak it under £1000.

Alb
    Free Member

A smidgen over unfortunately. Still a limited pool of parts to choose from so this hikes up the spec (and therefore price) in areas we’d ideally go with lower level parts to meet a certain pricepoint. Mainly hubs, rims and tyres in this particular case. Lower level stuff will undoubtedly follow but it’ll take a while to filter down.

Paceman
    Free Member

Still want one 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Genesis 27.5+ hardtail.’ is closed to new replies.