• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by diz.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Generator to run power tools
  • diz

What size/power generator would I need to run a drill, grinder or circular saw. I would only ever be running one power tool at a time. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

nickjb
    Free Member

There should be a power rating on the side of the tools. 1.5kw maybe. Bigger is better though

wrightyson
    Free Member

Id go for Pramac 3/4kva ish. Quality make. Will run a couple of light duty things together no problem. Usually has 110/240 switchability. Kettle pulls the nuts out of them though.

MrOvershoot

Honda 2.7Kva

Or for a bit more as wrightyson says a Pramac 3.7Kva

TooTall
    Free Member

Is there any reason you couldn’t use battery powered tools instead?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Basic power tools can put up with quite poorly regulated electricity so a old style Honda would be fine. If you have the cash go for a inverter as you can run electronics off of it, also tend to be quieter.

maccruiskeen

Basic power tools can put up with quite poorly regulated electricity so a old style Honda would be fine.

Indeed – drill and grinder will be fine – circular saw probably fine also, but higher end saws that have electronic speed control (more particularly control to maintain the cutting speed under load rather than basic fast/slow) can be upset by standard generators and need to be run from Inverter / Sinewave type genies

As above, depending on what you’re sawing and grinding then makita’s cordless grinders and saws have gotten really good in the last few years. If you’re cutting up bit of ply rather than doing rip cuts in wet wood then makita’s brushless circ saw is pretty blimmin ace. Similarly for trimming and fettling rather than long cuts then the cordless grinder is better than the mains ones

But 1.5 – 2kva should be plenty to run any of the tools one at a time

TheBrick
    Free Member

Good point about speed control and inverters. I find a generator is useful to have for any big job as running large SDS breakers, ripping wood, table saws e.t.c all use a lot of juice. Plus you can hold a free party.

diz

Thank you looks like it will be a pramac 3.7kva.

MrOvershot how are you doing I will text you. Karl (Ccm)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Generator to run power tools’ is closed to new replies.