Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Generating house floor plans – Free software / web-app recomendations?
  • snownrock

Hi all, I’m looking to do some sketching/thinking for potential extensions and modifying the layout of our house. Does anyone have any recommendations for a simple FREE software that I can use? I can use and have access to CAD but looking for something a little simpler and i’m not that familiar with sketchup. Most I have found seem to be free trial based/very limited free versions (Floorplanner/Smartdraw). Roomsketcher seems to be about the best I have found.

I’m not looking for endless features, just something quick to use that generates 2D floorplans as per you get with your average property listing.

5lab

just use powerpoint if you’re familiar with it. its just boxes on a page

snownrock

@5lab I did start with that, but thought there must be something a little more technical/purpose built available in the vast ether of open source software.

boombang
    Free Member

https://floorplancreator.net/

I used this one to confirm I have **** all skill at designing a workable space.

It’s fiddly but ok for simple stuff, just note on the free version you only get one project and can’t easily export / print.

alanl
    Free Member

Not meeting your criteria of free, but £5.50 for each drawing seems pretty good to me.
    I’ve not had a good play with it yet, but as a CAD newbie, it seems pretty simple.
    Zplan CAD

avdave2

I use Sketchup at work for all our venue floor plans but when it came to building work at home I just used graph paper and made graph paper cut outs for all the furniture and kitchen units. I just found it the best way to really quickly move things around to work out the best possible layout and where walls would come and go.  and if you are doing it with someone else it’s really easy to show them different option and for them to try different options.

eckinspain
    Free Member

The IKEA kitchen planner.
    Seriously, it’s pretty good.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I use roomarranger. A bit noddy but simple to use and has a virtual reality view
    https://www.roomarranger.com/

MarkyG82

FloorplannerHere

thebunk

I’ve used Excel/Gsheets before. Set each cell to be square and then it’s easy to do whatever scale you want.

I also really like https://home.by.me/en/. Good free tier and easy to start off with a simple floor plan, but powerful enough to do a lot more with it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you have and can use CAD i genuinely think you’ll find anything else just more painful than getting on with it*.

* other than paper, which is easily the best options for ideasing.

snownrock

Thanks for the suggestions all, a few to look into there.

GrahamS

@snownrock:
    I’ve been using ArchiTouch 3D on the iPad and been able to do multi-level floor plans plus nice 3D visuals. It’s a pretty nice touch-based interface. You can do most of it for free, you do have to pay a sub if you want to do edit multiple plans.

They have a YouTube channel with examples and tutorials:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.