Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • General expense
  • mboy
    Free Member

The simple answer, no matter what anyone says, is that we live to our means. I hate feeling poor as much as the next person, and have been known to moan about the price of things (usually diesel to be fair), but we all adjust to suit.

Last time I was on the dole for any length of time I got my weekly food expenditure down to below £20, perhaps closer to £15. And as anybody who knows me (or has even just seen me eat!) will testify, that’s probably more of an achievement (no offence intended) than the girls on here surviving on a tenner a week! 😉

It wasn’t enjoyable though, but I survived. In times of plenty I’ve probably spent £70 a week on myself at the supermarket (and enjoyed it) though to make up for it. The problem is when this becomes an unbreakable habit.

Regarding the whole house price issue thing. PP, the thing you missed is that whilst nobody in a position of authority said anything, who listens to authority anyway? As a nation we generally only pay attention to the media, and when media hype is telling us that this is a bubble that isn’t going to burst, people will borrow like mad!

Dare I say it, but once again the country is in the same situation it always finds itself in after a Labour Government. They might have had ideals about closing the poverty gap, but all they’ve succeeded in doing is (in relative terms) making the (very few at the) top of the pile richer, whilst making everyone else poorer.

TooTall
    Free Member

Just about doable for a fiver but not exciting.

or nutritionally very good either.

I presume we are talking about someone eating the conventional breakfast,lunch and tea.
    So far today I have had some sugar puffs with milk,glass of juice and several cups of tea.
    Milk was a quid for two pints, cereal £1.50 a box (third off in sainsburys ) and waitrose essential grapefruit juice at about £1.80 a carton

Conventional for you – not for me. You pay far too much for your milk and fruit juice BTW. Your cereal is a lot of money for sweetened fresh air as well.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I can’t say i really worry about or know how much i spend on food, one night out on the booze obliterates any savings on that and then quite a bit more! but things are getting dearer of that there is now doubt…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    becky_kirk43
    Free Member

yes. but if you can only afford £1.42 a day for food then what are you doing wasting time on a mtb forum when you could sell the computer, cancel the internet and have more money to buy food (or look for a better paying job)

As a student I made the choice that having access to the internet is important, we live in a shared house so its about £10 a month each (I paid in a lump sum at the beginning of the year) which covers broadband and tv, yes we didn’t need such an expensive package but I don’t drink and don’t enjoying clubbing and spending evenings online or in front of the tv most nights is a lot cheaper than going out on the town!

I also decided that it was important to continue with mountain biking whilst at uni, and I wanted to do some races as well so that takes a lot out of my budget.

I’m happy to spend 7 months of the year (home for most of the holidays) living off pasta / rice / mince / veg / cheap cereal/ basics stuff for lunch etc. because it means I can still do the things I want to, £10 is what I budget myself a week but sometimes I go under that, and quite often my spending on the car and the bike is under budget so I do have more than £10 some weeks.

Some people, maybe even with a family, only have that much to spend on food because that really is all they have left after paying bills and stuff, and I’m glad that’s not the situation I’m in. An old computer can be picked up very cheap, and there are a lot of deals out there to get internet for just a few £s a month and I would say these days having access to the net is almost vital, and its not going to make much of a difference to the budget to stop that.

Oh, a despite prices going up if you lived off sainsburys basics noodles (which someone in the same corridor as me did for a term last year)…assuming 6 packets a day…that’s £4.20 a week…

nickf
    Free Member

Suggesting that you’re earning a fair wedge and are probably a bit of a miser too.

Or you’re not very good at maths

Edit: Quick calc says that if you’re only spending £200 a month then your salary is in excess of £250k.

D’oh!

Should learn to check what I type. 4.4 not 1.4%, FWIW

Junkyard
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    Just about doable for a fiver but not exciting.
    or nutritionally very good either.

Suppose it depends on what you mean by mutationally very good – but yes broadly true though I could spend a lot more money and eat less well. Cheese, cakes, hydrogenated fats, processes sugary cereal etc. When I see folk who spend a lot of money on food their belly size suggest that their is a hint of unbalance there as well.

El-bent
    Free Member

Dare I say it, but once again the country is in the same situation it always finds itself in after a Labour Government. They might have had ideals about closing the poverty gap, but all they’ve succeeded in doing is (in relative terms) making the (very few at the) top of the pile richer, whilst making everyone else poorer.

It’s the price paid when a labour Government follows tory style economic policies which it had to to win elections. Says a lot about the electorate and it’s dream or should I say aspirations, which Molgrips and PP dismiss. While no one in a particular political party mapped this dream out, it simply evolved into what we have now.

steve-g
    Free Member

If I go shopping on my own then I feed the 3 of us for about 20 quid a week. If the wife does the shopping she spends a million pounds in the supermarket at the weekend and by tuesday we have run out of meals.

I make a massive roast dinner Sunday, all the leftover chicken and veg goes into a risotto that becomes packed lunches for the first 2 or 3 days of the week. Monday and Tuesday night we eat cheap lazy stuff like omelettes, or frozen pizza and garlic bread, Wednesday I make a massive chilli or spag bol for dinner and have leftover that for lunch for thursday and maybe friday. Thursday night back to cheap lazy food. Friday evening cook something nice like lasagne. Breakfast is always porridge and a bag of that for £1 lasts about 2 weeks.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

You pay far too much for your milk and fruit juice BTW

No I don’t, I like jersey milk for my cereal and waitrose grapefruit juice, why is it too much?
    Nothing worse than that white water and cheap juice that burns ones gullet

All relative really and i’m not trying to live on a tenner a week, just querying how anyone else can

molgrips
    Free Member

Says a lot about the electorate and it’s dream or should I say aspirations, which Molgrips and PP dismiss

I don’t dismiss that people dream greedy things. I do dismiss the idea that we were “sold a dream”.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So far today I have had some sugar puffs with milk,glass of juice and several cups of tea.
    Milk was a quid for two pints, cereal £1.50 a box (third off in sainsburys ) and waitrose essential grapefruit juice at about £1.80 a carton

Yeah, and how many bowls of cereal do you get from a box? 10? (15p/serving)
    2 pints = 5 bowls of cereal (20p serving)
    Juice = 5 big glasses from 1l and you can get grapefruit juice a LOT cheper than that! 3 for £2.50 at Tesco IIRC. (17p a serving)

52p for your breakfast….. 🙂

crispo
    Free Member

52p x 7 = £3.64, so over a third of your weeks budget gone on (arguably) the cheapest and simplest meal of the day! 😆

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Yeah, and how many bowls of cereal do you get from a box? 10?

Haven’t got any bowls that small, sound more like egg cups and tesco grapefruit juice is like undiluted citric acid

I don’t intend to spend a tenner a week on food, but it is hard to believe anyone can eat three meals day with a balanced fruit and veg diet for that amount

No point keeping on about the person you know who eats one water biscuit a fortnight, this is about general household outgoings and how they have risen in price

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Waitrose own grapefruit juice is £1 a litre and my nearest Tesco was doing it 3 for £2.80 the pink grapefruit juice is dearer about £1.80 litre from Waitrose.

philconsequence
    Free Member

tesco chocosnaps = 1.74 for 600g, reccomending serving size = 30g
    skimmed milk for breakfast = 4pints(2.272ltrs) for 1.49, reccomended amount to use with chochsnaps = 125ml

cereal = 20 portions for £1.74
    milk for cereal = £18.176 portions for 1.49

so even if you went over the recommended portion size and got 18 portions out of a box you’re looking at a total breakfast cost of 18p per day for breakfast. (well…. 17.9444444444444444444444p to be exact) so thats £1.26 a week on breakfast 🙂

as i mentioned in an earlier post, you can make the choice to have smaller portions, that will effect your food budget dramatically.

nickf
    Free Member

you can make the choice to have smaller portions not eat Tesco ChocoSugarCrapSnaps, that will effect your food budget[b] improve your diet[/b] dramatically.

philconsequence
    Free Member

lol i’m not the one eating chocosnaps, mrsconsequence is 😀 and i think we’ve already established earlier on that she had accepted a restricted diet was inevitable when eating for 10pounds a week 8)

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

It’s this one, very nice too at 3 for £4.50 Juice
    Should add my nearest tesco is six miles away and not about to waste all that petrol going up there when I can walk to Waitrose in five minutes. What I save in fuel means I can buy the juice I like, their free range scotch eggs are rather tasty too

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just spent £4.90 on a baguette and a piece of Victoria sponge.

Add to that the muesli, 2 bananas and 50g of nuts I’ve also eaten I guess I shouldn’t be eating again until Wednesday 🙁

TooTall
    Free Member

Suppose it depends on what you mean by mutationally very good

I mean not a great variety of fruit and veg in there as well as your pulses and grains. I just think you’d be dropping too far and relying on the bulk to fill you rather than a good nutritional balance to sustain you healthily.

Spending more on food =/= better nutrition – of course.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Waitrose is my nearest supermarket and it’s about 6 miles away 🙂 with an ASDA next door. I find the veg better in ASDA than Waitrose.

Edukator
    Free Member

“There is more chance of Elvis landing on Mars than a housing market crash,” says John Wriglesworth at the Wriglesworth Consultancy. “No, there’s more chance of finding a rose tree in the desert. We’re nowhere near a property crash.”

From an article in the Telegraph in 04. I got flamed on both STW and BM at the time for describing the property market as a bubble dspite the fact that other articles in the Telegraph at the same time in the same paper supported the view.

It’s a bull-bear issue and you’ll always find someone to sell you prices rising (and a house to go with it) and someone to point out that boom and bust will continue for as long as supply is limited and demand is dependent on interest rates and the ability to borrow.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I spend about £90-100 a week on food for one and do not consider myself to be particularly extravagant.

😆

No; really??

Eating out ramps costs up proper steeply, and such incredibly poor value relatively. Nice though.

A tenner a week is mental though. What on Earth do you eat? No meat, I assume.

£25-40 a week here, just for little me, and I shop at LiDLs quite a bit for basics, Waitrose for other bits, the odd butchers, y’know. Works out ok.

Dunno how I’d survive on tenner a week though….

5thElefant
    Free Member

“There is more chance of Elvis landing on Mars than a housing market crash,” says John Wriglesworth at the Wriglesworth Consultancy. “No, there’s more chance of finding a rose tree in the desert. We’re nowhere near a property crash.”

From an article in the Telegraph in 04.
    He was right then. When was the crash? 2008?

Kuco

Probably spend about £30 a week on myself and a bit more when I need crap like toothpaste, bog rolls and the like.

Like to see your shopping list if your spending £100 a week for yourself.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

she had accepted a restricted diet was inevitable when eating for 10pounds a week

Shiz not fayt though is she tenner a week on food.

philconsequence
    Free Member

nope, not fat at all.

she’s not living on a tenner a week anymore… probably about 20 a week if you consider its between 35 and 50 a week for the two of us and 10pounds of that is mineral water and the delivery cost. we’re all extravagant and stuff nowadays 8) splashing the cash about like its going out of fashion innit.

cinnamon_girl

£10 a week for mineral water? 😯 A filter jug would be cheaper shirley?

philconsequence
    Free Member

10pahnds = 4-6quid for delivery of said shopping and the rest on mineral water (many many litres – the tap water in reading is disgusting!!!)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We were then sold the dream that houses would continue to rise and rise

Lolz. People will make up anything to support their world view aye.

While no one in a particular political party mapped this dream out, it simply evolved into what we have now.

I do dismiss the idea that we were “sold a dream”.

There’s a few people in denial here. The British people were sold the dream that house prices would continue to rise and rise. They were positively encouraged to invest in bricks and mortar on the grounds that it represented extremely sound investment.

Lenders were even prepared to lend well over 100% of the cost of a home, assured as they were that house prices would continue to rise and rise.

As a consequence people mortgaged themselves up to the eyeballs, in the belief that it was a fail-safe investment which had the potential to reap huge rewards.

And this dream was positively sold to the electorate by political parties. Starting in the mid seventies by the then leader of the Opposition Margaret Thatcher, right up to the last general election by New Labour.

Labour manifesto 2010 :

“Owning your own home is the aspiration of most families.

We will widen home ownership: over 160,000 households have been supported into ownership through government action since 1997.”

And the dream hasn’t just turned sour in the UK, across the sea in the USA more than one in four American home-owners have also seen their dream turn into a nightmare :

28% of US Homeowners Now in Negative Equity

Taff
    Free Member

£70 a week, if our shopping is more than £80 for two weeks my backside squeaks!! We’re trying to save for a holiday too and seem to be spending more money than usual. My car is having bits in having work as that’s cheaper by £10 and a lot of hassle than me doing it myself and got stung for gas, electric and water bills. Petrol is ridiculous at £60 a tank from empty [206!!] hence looking for a more economical car [more expense]. I do private work on the side too to get a bit of extra pay but that money is usually swollowed up by some financial issue like car going wrong, cats etc etc

cinnamon_girl

phil – can’t believe the water in Reading is worse than at home?

philconsequence
    Free Member

indeed CG – its like watching milk come out the taps its so damn cloudy! home isnt as bad as that but even at home tap water doesnt appeal to me at all!

Edukator
    Free Member

How much do you spend on cat food, cat liiter, vet’s bills and so on, Taff? A dog is more expensive and has a similar environmental impact to a Porsche Cayenne according to a local news report. As for a horse, a small car is cheaper yet I’ve seen a lady pleading poverty and complaining about the vet’s bills for her horse in the same paragraph.

molgrips
    Free Member

They were positively encouraged to invest in bricks and mortar on the grounds that it represented extremely sound investment

It is, in the long term. All the 120% mortgage stuff is clearly silly tho.

And why do we have scorn poured on us for thinking it’s important to want to own a home?

cinnamon_girl

phil – that sounds grim! Even though I use a filter jug, when I’ve boiled the kettle it still looks a bit cloudy.

And why do we have scorn poured on us for thinking it’s important to want to own a home?

molgrips – I actually question the wisdom of this, even though I’m guilty.

thomthumb
    Free Member

used to eat for £5 a week at uni. when i had to. wasn’t good though. and it normally wasn’t when i had any thinking or moving to do (summer hols between loans)

2kg of pasta
    1 bulb of garlic
    small bit of cheese.
    the balance on pick and mix

1 meal a day.

one day pasta/ garlic
    one day pasta/ cheese
    one day pasta/ garlic and cheese

pick and mix when i wanted to cry.

other than going to work, where i would see what was available for less than 50p in the staff shop (my mate once bought dog food by accident!!), i would lay in the garden for 10+ hours a day.

got skinny and a good tan!

Edukator
    Free Member

So you are convinced property is a good investment in the long term, Molgrips. Assuming a constantly growing economy it might be but can you be sure the economy will continue to grow as oil and other resources run out? A response to poverty is cost cutting which will IMO lead to more people under one roof and a decline in demand for property. Population growth is dependent on immigration and people feeling rich enough to have kids. Take a look at Spain if you want to see what happens to house (mainly flat) prices when poverty reduces demand to buy or let, and the desire to start a family.

Tinners

Thomthumb……used to eat for £5 a week at uni

Yeah, but, come on……you are only one inch tall. A single thread of spaghetti would probably last a fortnight.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I bought a house because the mortgage is cheaper than rent. If it is worth 50 p at the end of 25 years I will still have saved money over renting. I dont think owning property is a great and noble goal but renting would need to be cheaper to tempt me tbh.

I once had only 2 kg of rice and a bottle of tomato sauce and was working 12 hour days when travelling- was working a week in hand. Took me about 10 years to eat rice again.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘General expense’ is closed to new replies.