• This topic has 59 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Gel wrapper droppers. Name & shame.
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Just brainless!

Yeah, who runs tubes now anyway…

molgrips
    Free Member

too many knobs take themselves and what they do way too seriously

Right, so racing and training etc is wrong, is it? Should I not do it?

uplink
    Free Member

I did a ride on Exmoor last week and, walking on part of the route the day after, noticed that someone had chucked an inner tube into the hedge.

Just brainless!

I take it there's no lamposts on Exmoor?

alpin
    Free Member

^^
    i think he was pointing at those recreational riders that buy into the idea that they need gels to get them over the line.

i saw it, too, over summer. those that arrived on some plastic carbon bikes were usually those that pulled out the gels after the first 50m ascent of a 1200m climb. just keep pedalling and you'll be fine.

and those with carbon bikes were usually the fattest/mos unfit.

carbon statt kondition.

allthepies – Member

As a guide I'd expect a friendly word about littering, including banana skins etc. But to "go mental" at a guest is unprofessional IMO.

maybe, but i also think it's bloody minded to throw your litter into the wild.

to be fair, i always said at the beginning of a tour that i didn't want to see anyone throwing any litter into the bushes and that i had a small plastic bag (those that you get at the supermarket when buying your banannas) in my bag. most people then took their own litter bag and were considerate towards the environment they were outside utilising for their own pleasure.

but, some people are pig minded.

cheers_drive

Stuff dropped around feedstations at organised events is fine as they have a cleanup afterwards.

The Market Place here at home also has a cleanup each day – so I take it it's OK to just to drop litter?

I think we're talking about different situations – I was thinking more of feed stations where you don't stop and just get handed something as you go past. Maybe this applied to running and bike races more. Obviously stopping at a sportive feed station having a cake and chatting then tossing the rubbish on the floor is pretty stupid.

Sandwich

toys19
    Free Member

I am severely anti litter and often collect litter on the trail, nut I really can’t see the problem with bannna skins or any organic material, good for the environment and the critters. How long does it take for animal poo or a dead animal to decompose? Just as long I suspect. I see banana skins as part of the natural environment. Gel packs however are not.

alpin where do you guide? It would be good to know as you sound like someone I would pay not to be near.

jenbe
    Free Member

energy gels taste like shit, why do people eat this carp!

charliedontsurf

Problem is that these gel droppers are racing too fast.
    No one else, not a soul, gives a hoot where you finish in a race.
    Stuffing sickly gel in your face so you can finish in 46th place rather than 53rd.
    These folk should take a look at the new method of racing I have developed.
    You race flat out, until you get weak. Stop for some cheese, pie, olives and sometimes smoked oysters. Wash down with the traditional Italian power drink of chianti.
    Chill out and watch the race go by. Pack your rubbish back In your pack.
    Then get back on your bike and race flat out.
    If you time it right you get to race the race leaders – they just happen to be one lap ahead.

jonb
    Free Member

There is no excuse for dropping gel/bar wrapper. I can understand if people occasionally miss their pockets or whatever but to just throw them on the ground is moronic. At some I’ve been to you get disqualified for littering. At others you got discounted gels if you handed in wrappers at the end of the race.

I have no issue with bananas generally but you need to give a moments thought to wif and where you should be throwing them. If you are somewhere where they will be obvious or persistant then best not too. Also if you are doing a sportive and there are 1000 riders behind you then perhaps the pocket is the way forward.

Charlie, the guy who inspired me to start this thread dropped the gel wrapper just as I was about to overtake him. That gives you some idea of how far off elite pace he was if he couldn’t even keep up with me.

rustler
    Free Member

Sorry children, but Daddy wont be coming from that much deserved, & very expensive week biking in the Alps. He lost is footing retrieving a banana skin, & fell to his death. But a nice bi-lingual man who owns the Alps, got off on berating Daddy in front of his mate before he fell.

Nothing like free advertising eh. 🙄
    To be fair, the way your post read you just sounded a bit pedantic, I’m pretty certain that your not. 😉

But, time again to remind Zak, who rides the Monkey trail at Cannock, to take his sandwich bags home with him. Or at the very least tell his Mummy not to write his name on the bag if he’s going to skewer them on a tree at the start of the last run.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

alpin – Member
    …and yes, this is germany. it’s called ‘Beleidigung’ “er hat mich beleidigt”. > “he insulted me.”
    and best of all, there is a sliding scale of offences and fines to match.
    my mate got fined 900€ for calling a bus driver (that almost ran him over) an arsehole, waynker, and motherfecker. it’d have been a bit less if the guy wasn’t in uniform and lots more if it was a copper.
    you can even get done for giving someone the finger.
    i find it’s cheaper to blow them a kiss and winds them up just as much.

A sliding scale of offences!
    I must see that with translations!
    😀

druidh
    Free Member

Personally, I like the cut of young alpins jib. I’d rather be out with a guide that cared about the environment he was riding in and introducing his clients to than one who treated the countryside like a waste bin.

And those advocating throwing your “organic” litter around. I guess it’s OK for you, but not if everyone did it eh? Would you want to be out somewhere that 1,000 other countryside (ab)users had also thrown their crap around before you got there??

jonnyrobertson

I did a half marathon a couple of years back, first organised event i’d ever done (being an anti social git it’s not really my thing) and i decided to wear my camelback rather than use drink stations, carry my top for when i finished etc. More than one person had a pop as to why i had to carry my gear with me but when i saw people taking water bottles, having a couple of swigs then tossing the bottle away (part of this run went through a residential area, litter was being chucked into people’s gardens) and the amount of litter that was lying around was sickening. I finished about a third of the way up a field of about 9000 so i dread to think of the mess left behind me. Oh yeah, and the tagline of the run? The race against climate change.

Did the public stage of the tour of Britain as well and the amount of discarded gel wrappers was sickening, just being chucked into the undergrowth. Lots of those wrappers will have lain undiscovered, how much bother is it to take a wrapper home? But litter is a problem in this country, it’s everywhere you go. There’s no excuse for it, it’s just ignorance, arrogance, laziness and a lack of pride and respect for the surroundings. No matter what it is, whether it be organic or not, should we not at least make the effort to take away what we brought out with us?

Moe

I litter pick most of the Thetford MTB Racing events post race and on the whole most of the litter was already there before the event so therefore we leave the forest cleaner than we found it. There is no need to drop any litter and there should be no expectation that it is ‘someone elses job’ but it is bound to happen. I even pick up the gel tags (those that I see) and at the end of the day if the area end up cleaner than it started it helps ensure the continued use of the forest to do what we all love doing whether it be MTB, running, enduro etc.

It’s not just the events either TIMBER has two trailers kitted out with bins and litter pickers and do regular litter patrols across the forest (mostly cycle trails) so if you use the forest and care about it join and take part or at the very least join and we’ll put your fiver to good use building and maintaining the cycle trails you love to ride!

downgrade
    Free Member

charlie the bikemonger – Member
    These folk should take a look at the new method of racing I have developed.
    You race flat out, until you get weak. Stop for some cheese, pie, olives and sometimes smoked oysters. Wash down with the traditional Italian power drink of chianti.
    Chill out and watch the race go by. Pack your rubbish back In your pack.
    Then get back on your bike and race flat out.

where do I sign up? 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

Gel, what a joke, too many knobs take themselves and what they do way too seriously. Water and bananas is fine…

Agreed.

Personally, I like the cut of young alpins jib. I’d rather be out with a guide that cared about the environment he was riding in and introducing his clients to than one who treated the countryside like a waste bin.

Again, agreed.

banginon

I run the SXC and other events at Drumlanrig.

At the end of a busy race weekend setting up the course, marshalling, taking down tape etc at the end of it all; the last thing I need is to be picking up gel wrappers off the trail or even out of the undergrowth (where some halfwits think it’s a good idea throw them).

It’s hard enough to get volunteers to marshall a days racing, let alone asking them to pick up some selfish t0sspots litter at the end of it.

So if you’re racing or at an event don’t assume that there’s a bunch of happy litter pickers looking after your sh1t;

JUST DON”T DROP IT!!!!!!!!!

Moe

bangin on, That’s my philosophy, if the organiser puts in all the work of organising the event the least I can do as a local is spend a couple of hours supporting that effort to help ensure the events continue to be organised. There seems to be an attitude in some quarters that you pay your money (to enter an event) and you expect a service as you would in a commercial or retail situation. There does have to be some gain for an individual carrying the burden of organisation and risk but all those who enter events also have to realise that there can come a point where an organiser can just say ‘sod the hassel’ and walk away resulting in one or more events less on the calander! They are not obliged to lay on events, generally they are also enthusiasts with a (masochistic?) ability to want to organise an event for fellow enthusiasts. Those that see it as a way of making a quick buck will not often last the course because they will not be completely aware of what their ‘target’ audience expect. Any organiser should and will happily expect constructive feedback, it’s all too easy in these days of forums for some ‘wannabe atherton’ to flame an event for some minor issue they had (often of their own making) and undermining a lot of the hard work put in by a lot of people to supply the MTB community with a wealth of events across the country!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Gel wrapper droppers. Name & shame.’ is closed to new replies.