Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gears skipping on a Heckler…
  • somouk
    Free Member

Hey Guys,

Just been out for my first blast around the chase on my ’99 ebay bargain heckler and had some real problems with the gears skipping.

They run perfect on the flat so I’m assuming it is something to do with how the cable is routed through the rear swing arm and the compression of the gear cable.

Is there an easy way around this or am I buying a jacketed cable and cable tieing it in a better place?

Does anyone have any pics of the cable routing on their heckler, preferably a newer one so I can attempt to copy it?

Cheers,
    Martin

PS, the skill compensator worked really well, never been so comfortable blasting down tackeroo.

flow
    Free Member

One of the outers might be too short if they are adjusted properly or not in need of replacing. Can’t help you with a pic though, sorry.

somouk
    Free Member

THey are all new outers that I fitted yesterday so possible one is too short. Would need pics of other people gear routing on a heckler to see though.

Cheers,
    Martin

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of the rear mech cable routing on my old Heckler, as long as you have the kink from frame to swingarm and a decent radius to the rear mech it should be ok, never had any problems and the cable outer from the frame to the swingarm compresses under suspension action so shouldn’t affect it?

Have you checked the main bearings for play? If wobbley you can get them from SCUK and they are an absolute doddle to replace.

Good bike btw, took my old one over the Alps last year, no problems at all. I’ve got some UTurn Rebas on mine 80-115mm perfect.

somouk
    Free Member

There’s no play in the bearing but I might change them anyway as they’re a bit of an unknown, trying to source bushings for the shock as well. Do you have a link to the correct bearings?

The section from the frame to the rear triangle on mine looks like its going to need some more slack looking at that picture.

I’ll get a new gear cable and find out LOL.

Thanks for the picture and help!

Cheers,
    Martin

trail_rat
    Free Member

What colour is it ? What shocks on it ? I had a lovely green un up till a couple years back – just wondering if it still lives !

juiced
    Free Member

i had this problem when i first fitted cables to my 2006 heckler. I now run overly long full length cables as opposed to cable and cable stops and the problem has gone.

If iirc I thought the inital cable length was fine by looking at it – it was too short. Doubt the full length cable bit has much to do with it – just the length.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

The bearings are 1614RS, I found them a bit difficult to find from normal bearing suppliers, I think they are an imperial size and don’t have a metric equivelent, I waited about a year before SCUK had some in stock, luckily I had a set already that I’d replaced and just wanted some spares, first time I changed them! Didn’t think mine had any play until I changed the shock from a vanilla to a float then you could feel it with no shock in place.

Click HERE

Although they have them listed as old Superlight, they are not, I have a 2002 Superlight and they are a different bearing, phone them just to check and make sure they DO have them in stock. I found the best place for shock bushings to be mojo, just let them know the bike and year and they’ll supply a pair the correct size.

trail rat, me or the op? Think the op’s is a black and polished one?

somouk
    Free Member

Thanks for the links.

Mine is indeed a black and polished one.

I’ll get some bearings and bushes I think to tighten it up along with my new gear cable!

Cheers,
    Martin

trail_rat
    Free Member

bah mines was an all green

sold up before going to cycle round some other countrys

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gears skipping on a Heckler…’ is closed to new replies.