Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gearing for cyclogravel bikes
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I have an Trek X01 with road gearing from the previous owner.

I want to get a better gearing for hills and offroad and have at my disposal a 22/32 deore chainset, a 11-34 cassette and derailleur; the brifters are Tiagra 10 speed; will it work?

aP
    Free Member

Probably 😉
    I’d just think that 32/11 is quite limiting. I’m running 44/30 12/32 and that gets me up most things.

simondbarnes

You’ll need a 9 spd mtb mech, not a 10spd one. A road front mech might struggle with 22/32 but a mtb mech can be tricky to get working nicely with road shifters.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Chhers aP

Will the brifters pull enough cable is my initial thought.

Whats the average ring on 1x 9/10/11 that people use, it would be on 33 mm cross tyres; not those huge things that are the vogue.

seosamh77
    Free Member

a 22/32 deore chainset, a 11-34 cassette

way to many gears on the granny end.

22/34 – 0.64
    32/11 – 2.9

I’ve got 11-40 50/34 on my bike.
    34/40 – 0.85
    50/11 – 4.5

Just to give you an idea of what easy gravel gearing would be around.

rOcKeTdOg

you’ll need a mtb BB which is wider than the road version so the front mech might struggle to shift out enough and the Q factor will be wider. if the shifters are 4700 versions they won’t play nicely with an mtb mech, other tiagra versions will work with 9sp mtb mechs though

seosamh77
    Free Member

you’ll need a mtb BB which is wider than the road version

If there actual any difference in the road and the mtb version? just curious, cause I was trying to diagnose a creak a while back and it’s just the middle bit plastic internal muck cover that’s different, was interchangeable.

Just wondered if there was any other differences? Never noticed when I had them out togther.

simondbarnes

Just wondered if there was any other differences? Never noticed when I had them out togther.

Road bb cups are 1mm wider than mtb ones iirc

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Ref the 1x question-
    40t ring with 11/32-36 depending on course for dry.
    36t ring with 11/30 for mud.
    42t ring for road with 11/32.
    All fine.

seosamh77
    Free Member

simondbarnes

Subscriber

Road bb cups are 1mm wider than mtb ones iirc

cool, cheers.

simondbarnes

cool, cheers.

But they run without spacers on a 68mm bb shell. You’ll need to add spacers to run a mtb chainset as the axle is longer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gearing for cyclogravel bikes’ is closed to new replies.