Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gear Ratios in real life
  • zero-cool
    Free Member

Right,
    I’m looking at converting the Wife’s bike to 1×10 as I’ve been happy with the performance of I/O sprocket on mine.
    And have been looking at gear ratios and wanted some real life feedback as otherwise they’re just numbers on a screen.
    At present she has a 24 tooth granny ring and 11-36 cassette which gives her a low gear of 17.3inches and a 30 tooth sprocket with a 40 tooth expander will give her 19.5 inches.
    And a 30 tooth sprocket with a 42 tooth cassette will give 18.6 inches.

Can anyone shed light on what these actually feel like compared to each other when out on a trail?
    Cheers

Tom kP

drofluf
    Free Member

The 30:40 set up will feel pretty much the same as as 24:32 on here existing set up, 30:42 somewhere between that and the 24:36.

So if she can manage without the largest cog on her existing setup should be fine

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This chart helps a bit as you can see what gear equivilent you would be in. Eg 30x42t is about the same as 24x32t

cookeaa

About one click harder than her current easiest gear.

Has your missus expressed any opinion on the subject at all?

ampthill

Has your missus expressed any opinion on the subject at all?

Does she have a problem with the current set up?

eulach
    Rscott
    Free Member

On you next ride out wind the limiter screw in so she cant access her loowest gear,if she copes go for it.

robdob
    Free Member

Or if she’s happy with it just leave it as it is?

aP
    Free Member

Herself was interested in going 1×11 as I have, but I’ve suggested that it’s probably not a good idea as the jumps on the back are huge and except for racing the gearing is IMHO too compromised. Does build up a super light bike though 😉

eulach

Sorry, the bikecalc link wasn’t really very helpful, was it? Maybe I’ll read the post next time.
    Don’t forget about the other end, I tend to spin out with a 32t front ring.

zero-cool
    Free Member

She hates front mechs with a passion and wants to simplify her gears without losing the ability to climb. No to worried about the high gears as much.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gear Ratios in real life’ is closed to new replies.