Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gear indexing with a boosted Pro4
  • submarined
    Free Member

TL:DR Has anyone had any issues with getting the shifting working well on Shimano 12sp with a Boost converted Pro4?

I purchased an Aeris 120 mid last year, and being the owner of a 12×142 Pro4, bought the boost kit for it from Hope. Since then I have never been able to get the upshift right when coming down the block in the first 3 or 4 gears. It goes up the block fine, indexing is perfect, but when coming back down there’s always significant hesitancy in those first few (but it’s nice and quiet when it does get there).
    Initially it was an all Deore 12sp setup, then I changed the shifter to an XT – still the same. Changed the rear mech to a brand new XT one yesterday and it’s still the same.

Rear hanger is straight (using a proper tool), have tried new inners and outer, complete re-set up several times, chain is on the correct way round. Chain and cassette have stayed the same (Deore) B screw is set using the guide on the back of the mech, and the chain length is correct. It’s a bit better with the clutch off, but not really.

I’m wondering if that extra offset created by the drive side boost spacer is just a stretch too far for the 12sp mech?

swanny853

Do you still have room to wind out the high limit screw further? That would suggest you’re not at the limit of the mech yet.

Possibles

Mine was a bit reluctant shifting off the big sprocket, a little bit of tweaking the b screw helped a lot.

OHs 12s rear mech was getting really sticky going to smaller sprockets, took the whole clutch/main pivot assembly apart and regressed it. It’s mostly better now, although I think it might need a new axle as the old one was actually rusty.

honourablegeorge

Yeah, I didn’t liek the Hope boost kit for that reason. Wolf tooth one does a better job, you get the proper boost chainline, although needs a dish. And it’s twice the price, of course.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    swanny853

I’ll do add- not quite the same but my 11s xt mech worked fine with a Hope rear wheel boosted the way you’ve done it, so it *can* be done but I guess there may be tolerance issues at the extremes?

ogden
    Free Member

B screw, new cables, chain in the correct direction, bent hanger, chain length all checked…… done everything I’d check. Could the mech be bent?

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s worked nicely for me with an 11 speed mech (Sram XX1 and Sram X01). Unfortunately not the same as your 12 speed set up but it shouldn’t make much difference.

I have now replaced the Hope wheels with another non-boost wheel and put two spacers on the NDS though, it just seems a more sensible way to do it.

MartynS

Are you absolutely 100% sure your cable is routed the correct way around the mech cable clamp?
    It actually looks wrong when it’s right… does that make sense?
    The cable should come nearest the cassette and loop around the clamp to face out.

You sound like you are having the issues I had by getting this wrong!!

submarined
    Free Member

Thanks all, some great input! And I’m frequently total idiot, so yes, get me to check everything!
    Cable is definitely correct, and it’s done this on two different mechs, so I’m pretty sure the cage isn’t bent (although it’s hard to tell on Shimano 12sp…)

Yep, there’s adjustment left on the limit screw. I just wondered if it was a bit of a stretch over. I think I’m going to play around with the B screw into a ‘not Shimano recommended’ range before I look at other boost kits/solutions – TBH if it comes to that I may just end up buying another hub/wheel with a boost hub instead :/ Would be a bugger though as I’ve just re rimmed this one with spokes to fit accordingly.

damascus
    Free Member

Can you change your chainring to get a better chain line?

I’ve got a boosted rear hope pro 4 with the hope kit and the chain line isn’t brilliant.

I think I’ll swop the rear hub out as I need a new freehub as hope have stopped selling their cassette and a freehub is £60!

submarined
    Free Member

Unfortunately it’s a Shimano crank, so I don’t think I can change the chainline with a ring.

@damascus
    if an xD freehub is any good, drop me a message. I’ve got one with ‘not the greatest’ bearings I’d be glad to part with for pretty cheap.

submarined
    Free Member

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I think it’s always good to update when a solution is found.
    I spent ages trying to get the indexing working, in the end decided to try a different boost kit. Took off the Hope that adds 3mm to both sides and doesn’t require a redish, and put on a generic one that adds 6mm to the NDS and needed a redish.

After setting up the mech, shifting is now perfect. Very happy.

I can only guess that the issues were related to that one particular frame/boost kit combo, as I know plenty of people have used the Hope one work no issue.

damascus
    Free Member

I replaced my rear hub with a boost hope hub and it improved the shifting. Frame is an on one scandal with a non boost Chainset.

What kit did you use? The reason I went for hope was I got fed up of the spaces falling out when I removed the axle.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I used the Wolftooth one. Longer non drive side end cap, spacer and longer bolts for the disc, a small dish adjustment and you wouldn’t know you didn’t have a proper boost hub until you take the disc off

Boostinator

haggis1978

I spoke with Hope several months back regarding using a Microspline cassette on a boosted 142 Pro4. Turns out you need a different spacer kit for Microspline. Hence drop them an email if you have issues.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

^^^ this ^^^ you need to buy the boost kit plus a drive side spacer.

submarined
    Free Member

I did both of the above. Used the 2mm Barrel Spacer (I’d emailed Hope before purchase for advice)

The kit I used was a 10 quid Brand X from CRC put a wrap of clear gorilla tape around the NDS spacer and end cap to hold them together.

haggis1978

Sorry not sure if I’m understanding you right. I got an official hope spacer from them, free of charge as well, fitted it and no more problems.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.