Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Gear danglers
  • charliedontsurf

Gear danglers… In an attempt to illustrate to a customer why gears are a poor design for offroad riding, hanging down there, so close to the ground, fragile and delicate, exposed to extreme risk… I found myself saying;

“It’s like a boxer who has his testicles on his chin”

I think I need a holiday.

matt_outandabout

😆

alexpalacefan

In all my years of riding, I have only seen one rear mech damaged.

Not that I don’t love a SS, but I’m not sure risk is the best reason for doing it.

APF

matt_outandabout

In all my years of riding, I have only seen one rear mech damaged.

You ain’t doing it right… 😉

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

in all my years of riding, I have only seen one rear mech damaged

Mayhem last year I was surprised just how many mechs had been ripped off , I saw maybe 15, which is the most I had ever seen – mental.

beefheart
    Free Member

Nice.

But you could also argue that a rider without gears, is like a boxer with a glass chin.

(I am a singlespeeder, but sometimes, when I’m about to vomit, I wish I had gears….)

Aidan
    Free Member

But you could also argue that a rider without gears, is like a boxer with a glass chin.

More like a boxer who lives in a montage of wood-chopping and step-running and awesomeness.

charliedontsurf

I got through 3 lx mechs in 4 weekends. I then went ss, that was about 13 years ago.

I run a few bikes with gears and only had one catastrophic failure in a few years: mech, cassette, spokes and the frame.

Bollocks.

epicyclo

charlie the bikemonger – Member
    …”It’s like a boxer who has his testicles on his chin”

Thanks. I’ll recycle that – frequently 🙂

jimification
    Free Member

Alexpalacefan: really? Cripes, I’ve done loads. I don’t breathe in when I’m riding somewhere “stick-y”.

Wish someone would make an Alfine that doesn’t weigh a quarter of a ton.

charliedontsurf

Chin testicles in the purbeck hills this afternoon. The bike is two weeks old.

“Collected a small branch in spokes whilst trying to avoid the mud and get some traction on a climb. First time I’ve had to finish a ride early in years “

brakes
    Free Member

singlespeed clearly flatters shit riders who can’t avoid bad gear changes, sticks and rocks.

tonyg2003

Mayhem last year I was surprised just how many mechs had been ripped off , I saw maybe 15, which is the most I had ever seen – mental.

Mayhem was just mental last year. Often you were doing well enough to make forward momentum to rip off a mech.

Keep going Charlie. Just take it on the chin!

BTW love my Alfine but I just wish it was lighter

tazzymtb

singlespeed clearly flatters shit riders who can’t avoid bad gear changes, sticks and rocks.

boring trolly troll troll

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, I have a singlespeed dangler 😕

brakes
    Free Member

boring trolly troll troll

just getting my own back on all the skill compensator claims from the singlespeeders

garage-dweller

Singlespeed dangler like all the best bits of singlespeed with the added ride wrecking mechanicals of gears.

My SS used to dangle too.

avdave2

I’ve got a Rohloff – I don’t care how good a boxer you are when i hit you round the head with it you ain’t getting up.

wwaswas

thing is, if you’re strong enough to lift a Rohloff’ed bike up and hit someone with it you probably won’t get too many people trying to start a fight with you in the first place 😉

mrelectric

“It’s like a boxer who has his testicles on his chin”

There was a top Family Guy episode where Peter strokes his chin, goes ” What the hell are they doing there?”, then puts them down the front of his trousers…

avdave2

thing is, if you’re strong enough to lift a Rohloff’ed bike up and hit someone with it you probably won’t get too many people trying to start a fight with you in the first place

I’m 5’6″ and 8 1/2 stone I rely on people being too embarrassed to start a fight with me. 🙂

TiRed

I have eight singlespeeds. And can shift between them at will. During a ride. Even stationary 8) . Might go back to one gear for weight saving at some time, but it’s not a big deal.

What is this dangler of which you speak? 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Gear danglers’ is closed to new replies.