Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gear Cables – will galvanised do?
  • jasonm945
    Free Member

Quite a boring and inane subject, but having just seen 100 Galvanized gear cables for £25, and being that my Gears are all sealed, is it worth getting and would I notice any difference to stainless…

What’s the collective opinion (if any)?

Thanks

Jay

Onzadog
    Free Member

They’ll work, but they’ll go manky more quickly. Still, you could replace them every month and be okay for two years. Personally, I’d buy fewer stainless ones.

coatesy
    Free Member

+1

colande
    Free Member

really wouldn’t bother,
    we don’t even give the option for customers if they need replacement inners.
    stick with stainless

nmdbase
    Free Member

They are shite

perthmtb
    Free Member

Don’t they stretch more – mild steel versus stainless?

jasonm945
    Free Member

OK so SS is unequivocally a better cable, but how much difference would it make in a sealed system, does it shift better?
    I’m looking at it from an economical point of view, Galvanised cable bought in bulk would be 25p a cable, cheapest I can find SS at is 60p a cable (£59.99 for 100). Would I get 135% more wear out of the SS in a sealed system?

I only looked at the bulk option because I seem to change stuff around quite a bit (tinkering) and on average change cables every 3 months.

Jay

Milkie
    Free Member

OK so SS is unequivocally a better cable, but how much difference would it make in a sealed system, does it shift better?

Now here’s a debate, sealed system may create more friction, but stays cleaner.. Unsealed provides less friction, but can get dirty and create extra friction..

Would I get 135% more wear out of the SS in a sealed system?

I dunno, but thinking about it probably cost you more than 40p. 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

You also need to consider that better cables have a smoother surface which will make more difference than anything else.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gear Cables – will galvanised do?’ is closed to new replies.