Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • GDPR – When you just cant be arsed
  • trailwagger
    Free Member
    P-Jay
    Free Member

Seems they have zero presence in the EU, or indeed anywhere outside of the US (and probably don’t want to) it’s the probably the cheapest and easiest way not to fall foul of the rules.

simon_g

LA Times, Chiago Tribune and other news sites are the same. I’m guessing cost of working out how to be compliant is more than the revenue lost by blocking.

maccruiskeen

Maybe they’re just dicks

chakaping
    Free Member

Absolutely.

Firm I work for got one of it’s major personnel systems pulled due to non-compliance.

They can’t even tell why it’s non-compliant, just that it isn’t. The US-based company only has a couple of EU clients and it’s definitely not worth their while.

BillOddie

Just use a VPN if you’re that bothered.  I had to do that when doing a bit of pre-holiday planning earlier in the year.

spekkie
    Free Member

Site works fine for me . . . . Currently in NYC though.

😉

drnosh
    Free Member

On a recent visit to one of my suppliers, I found that the name, company, date, reg no etc fill in boxes were blacked out and hence I could not see what I was writing.

When I asked what was that all about, the line trotted out was Data Protection…….

So, when I next see one of these I will just scribble something, anything just in order to protect my true identity – My data protected 100%.

Only 1 supplier out of many I must add. Obviously an over zealous employee inventing ‘data protection’ where none is probably not actually needed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

LA Times, Chiago Tribune and other news sites are the same. I’m guessing cost of working out how to be compliant is more than the revenue lost by blocking.

Or the revenue from selling data and not telling the locals what you are doing with it is worth more to them. GDPR must have started a lot of conversations outside of Europe about data

ajaj
    Free Member

They’ve got a year before they’ll need a similar banner for California.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Even a VPN didn’t enable me to do a Whois query on a domain name to see whether a website was fraudulent. GDPR has definitely not done the public any favours there. Business details are not personal information and shouldn’t be treated as such.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Add http://www.competitivecyclist.com to the list as well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes, but do they value my privacy?

Cougar

“Shucky darn, Duane, it’s 25 after 5 on a Friday night, what in the sam hill are we going to do about this GDPR thing they’re talking about over in the ol’ US of E?”

“Doggone it Leroy, I’d forgotten all about… wait, hold my beer a while would ya, I have me an idea!”

(five minutes later…)

“Great job Duane! Now, let’s go and shoot some stuff!” *high fives*

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘GDPR – When you just cant be arsed’ is closed to new replies.