Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • GBDURO dot watch
  • daiboy
    Free Member

For all you dotwatchers who have some free time now that HT550 and Tour Divide are over, here’s another event to follow

GBDURO started on Saturday morning. Its not all about the sharp end but it has been astonishing to watch Lachlan Morton power through to Mid Wales by Sunday. He’s currently approaching Scotland!

daiboy
    Free Member

Oops Tour Divide still going. Didn’t mean to shortchange their efforts!!

apedoctor
    Free Member

Yep I’ve been following it. That dudes incredible. He’s going to waiting around a couple of days for the party…

andytherocketeer

Seemed like a potentially interesting race that.

But then am I right in thinking that the guy in the lead was one of those EF Education UCI pro tour guys that raced the (amateur) Dirty Kanza? and then Amgen Tour of California as a warmup for a UK (amateur) ultra endurance race?  or is that someone else?

And then I come across one of the (roadie) youtuber guys, whose girlfriend is the media team, doing MTB descents on a gravel bike, calling the race a gravel bike race, when I suspect it might be more of an MTB bike packing route?

I’d quite like to see what the other riders are riding… proper bike packing bikes?

Certainly like the concept/route, ie the hilliest and most mountainous route through all 3 countries of the mainland from end to end.  But they should scrap the 4 stages, keep the clock ticking from grand depart to finish. But maybe have compulsory check points TCR style to prove you’ve followed the route, and/or relegate people that can’t finish in time.

mrmo
    Free Member

The clock ticking issue is deliberate. Over tired riders and getting killed by traffic.

qwerty
    Free Member

Lachlan Morton is indeed the EF Education UCI pro tour guy, he’s comments on the Dirty Kansa video about why they were doing stuff like this was pretty open & honest, they just wanna ride, be challenged & have fun. I believe that they may be documenting his GBDuro ride, but i’m pretty certain it’ll be under the scrutiny of The Racing Collective & their ethos of no support. Mike Dion did it with Ride The divide & the race still maintained its integrity, but showcased the concept to the masses.

I think even for a Pro UCI World Tour rider, used to pre/post ride massage, bottles being handed to him from a car, luxury hotels etc, his efforts are pretty phenomenal.

Check out Instagram #gbduro19 for the other riders & their bikes. Local to me, Andy Deacon is in the main group battling it out, he’s on a full fat bike.

daiboy
    Free Member

andytherocketeer, I wouldn’t worry yourself. I don’t think the organiser cares if you’re pro or amateur (just all long as you’ve got some outdoor sense!). Personally I would have no issues with being whooped by a pro. It’s fascinating to see how they compare with us norms. Lachlan admits to this being way out of his comfort zone and he seems respectful of the spirit of the event.

As mrmo says, the suggested stops at the checkpoints discourages sleep deprived riding and encourages a more sociable element.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Francis Cade gets support from someone in his video, isn’t that against the rules?

daiboy
    Free Member

Probs. Report him. PS who cares he scratched.

andytherocketeer

No he was definitely carrying that double airbed and 2 man tent in his seat pack 😉

I guess there are riders coming from quite different backgrounds… UCI pro tour, self-supported ultra endurance, supported multistage sportive, etc. so I guess it’s only to be expected that there’s slightly differing take on the spirit of the rules (and my take is probably a bit different, as I’m sitting here stalking Tour Divide dots, and seeing some respectfully relegating themselves from racing to touring after interacting with outside friendly assistance).

Several of the Spot trackers in GBduro weren’t updating for hours at a time (like all day for some riders!). So impossible to follow anyway.  Maybe some of the media stuff is covering “all” riders, but I just haven’t seen it yet.

UCI pro tour riders competing in amateur events is probably one for another thread.

daiboy
    Free Member

Let’s reassess after the 3 Peaks!!!

whitestone
    Free Member

The Tour Aotearoa in New Zealand has this rule:

Between 9am one day and 9am the next, every rider must spend at least one block of at least six hours not travelling. In other words, the maximum time any rider may spend riding each day will be 18 hours (between each 9am-to-9am period).

External help? Depends if it was a stranger or support known to him or another rider.

cookeaa

That looks like a great event, How come I only heard about it three days after it started?

I think it’s especially encouraging to see a pro like Lachlan Morton participating in something like this, but bugger me his pace is ridiculous! (assuming the spots are accurate) he’s like double the pace of anyone else…

daiboy
    Free Member

Don’t forget that many of the riders opted to take a rest between stages 1 and 2 at CP1. Lachlan probably has a plane to catch to recommence his day job!

scud
    Free Member

I have no issue with the pros giving it a go, i know it is part of EF Education/ Rapha collaboration to widen what they do as a team, i think because they do not have the funding of the likes of Ineos to garner sponsorship, but they can raise their profile and media interest by doing things a little differently.

I always liked events where as an amateur you could ride the sportive on the saturday then watch the pros on the sunday, like Paris-Roubaix or Flanders, makes you appreciate just how good they are.

Houns

Just found out about this (via YouTube) looks a great ride to add to the ‘one day’ list

cosmokramer
    Free Member

Anyone know where exactly CP3 is?

Lachy is about 130 miles from my house at the moment, was hoping to catch a few miles with him this afternoon but doesn’t appear to be moving yet?

beej

This is full of lovely pics – it’s great to see a WT rider do some of these challenges, gives an idea of how strong the are compared to us mortals.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/06/lachlan-morton-just-keeps-riding/

jimdubleyou

Met Miles Resso at Loch Ossian hostel this morning.

His quote something like, this isn’t racing anymore, it’s survival.

He’s pushed on a bit today but not sure he’ll make the finishers party tomorrow…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘GBDURO dot watch’ is closed to new replies.