Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Gay Scottish minister – to be debated
  • PrinceJohn

according to bbc news…

Now surely it’d be easier to just ask God & ask if it’s ok to appoint him, if he says yes all good, if he says no, then he’ll have to look for a new job.

pigyn
    Free Member

How big a debate?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Fabulously big.

DezB
    Free Member

The epitomy of wgaf

franksinatra

Massive debate

fnar fnar fnar

retro83
    Free Member

Surely God made him how he is, so to turn him away would be an insult to God’s design?

El-bent
    Free Member

Do people really care? Perhaps one day they’ll realise how irrelevant they have become.

pigyn
    Free Member

ministers or homosexuals?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Doesn’t the scottish high church way of protesting against these kind of things involving scattering tacks in front of him as he makes his way to work?

project
    Free Member

Disgusting, shouldnt these people have better things to do on a saturday, than a useles and pointless debate.

Homosexuality is seen as a sin in the catholic church, , and priests are not allowed to mary,perhaps thats the reason for all the claims of sexual abuse recently.

Trimix
    Free Member

Is it not illegal to discriminate ?

scraprider
    Free Member

it does say in the bible man shall not lie with man ( or words to that effect), i have gay mates, im not homofobic , but you cant have it allways .

IanMunro
    Free Member

In fairness the bit of the bible which says that, also states that shellfish are an abomination. But oddly the church doesn’t seem to get so het up by ministers commiting the mortal sin of scoffing on a bit of scampi and chips.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The epitomy of wgaf

I agree – unless you’re a member of the Baptist Church, I can’t see why you might be interested.

“Homosexuality is seen as a sin in the catholic church”

I’m pretty sure that being homosexuality isn’t seen as a sin in the catholic church, although shagging someone outside marriage, I believe is. Which I guess puts a damper on that sort of stuff. Quite how this relates to the Baptist Church which makes it own rules up, I’m not entirely sure.

SamThomas
    Free Member

I’m friends with a few gays and like the people but cant stand what they do.

I cant believe how people are know so accepting of homosexuality and how De-sensitized people are to it now.

Its obviously not natural.

I’m with these protesters.

scraprider
    Free Member

fair comment ian, wot a kerfuffle, bloody religeon again.

CaptJon
    Free Member

it does say in the bible man shall not lie with man ( or words to that effect), i have gay mates, im not homofobic , but you cant have it allways .

Who cares what the Bible says. It is an edited volume of roughly translated and interpreted books written hundreds of years before they were arranged in a compilation album. Who really knows what the authors of the books meant without asking them, or knowing the full context, and, who knows how they interpreted the events/teachings/etc they are writing about. What books didn’t make the cut? That’s before you get on to questions about how someone would know what God is thinking/doing/saying.

scraprider
    Free Member

thats what it says mate,in black and white,

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

iWho cares what the Bible says
    i suspect at least some of the many millions of christians may give a bit of a ****, regardless of the provenance of their favourite book of bedtime tales.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m led to believe that it is very natural if you happen to be homosexual.

I cant believe how people are know so accepting of homosexuality and how De-sensitized people are to it now.

I’m not desensitised. If another bloke tried to shag me up the ar5e I feel fairly confident that I would notice. And no, I wouldn’t be ‘so accepting’.

However, what other people do in the privacy of the their own bedrooms is their business, not mine. And I’m surprised that you apparently think that it’s your business 😯

mudshark
    Free Member

In fairness the bit of the bible which says that, also states that shellfish are an abomination.

Jesus said it was OK to eat everything – that’s why the Jews are fussier eaters than Christians. Jesus made no comment on homosexuality which is why it’d difficult for the church to work out what’s the best thing to do. However people such as St Paul said that sex outside marriage is wrong therefore it would seem OK to be gay as long as you are celibate – from a Christian perspective.

scraprider
    Free Member

some good veiws , if only the church would come out and say somthing , then people would / may be more accepting.

crikey
    Free Member

Is there anything in the bible about having sex with children?

Seems to be a popular hobby among those in the know…

There have been homosexuals for a lot longer than there have been Christians; it’s time the church got over it and got on with slowly becoming extinct.

Norton
    Free Member

I’m friends with a few gays and like the people but cant stand what they do.

You sound like a nice guy Sam – you sure those gays are friends of yours…?

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Seems fine for Catholic Priests to have sex with children. Is that fine with you Sam Thomas? For Christ’s sake you can’t even spell correctly, so your mental machinations are really worth paying attention to!

tankslapper
    Free Member

This is a debate? Really!

And here’s me thinking we were past all this

WTF Next? Expenses!

(This is only breaking the monotony of my own life btw)

SamThomas
    Free Member

Seems fine for Catholic Priests to have sex with children. Is that fine with you Sam Thomas?

Sorry, Have I missed something?

Its obviously not fine, is it?

I am also very sorry that my spelling let me down, 1 word.

JxL
    Free Member

SamThomas – Member

Neither is flying on an airplane, or driving a car, or riding a bike, or many other things in the civilized world.

Mark

It’s perfectly natural.. Homosexuality is observed in the vast majority of other species from fish to monkeys. It’s belief in an omnipotent supernatural being that is obviously bonkers. Some people seem intent on confusing ‘not to my liking’ with ‘Not natural’. By that logic Marmite is completely unnatural.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s belief in an omnipotent supernatural being that is obviously bonkers.

And of course unique to the most intelligent species this planet has ever seen.

btw, I’ve heard of stuff which some people apparently do with Marmite, which doesn’t sound at all natural 😯

eldridge
    Free Member

If God disapproved of homosexuality s/he wouldn’t have made the anus such an (allegedly) comfortable and satisfyingly tight fit to the average erect penis.

After all, there are other orifices in the body. God clearly didn’t intend us to indulge in ear sex, or nostril sex, or eurethra sex, or tear-duct sex

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Rats do it, dogs do it, monkeys do it, bovines indulge. What’s unnatural about it?

Unless you think we are not animals, I don’t see the problem.

And that is where the problem lies…

Mark

Marmite eating freaks! They should all be rounded up and ‘cured’ somehow. I think there should be a Marmite register online so we all know if there are any living in our streets. Think of the kids! Would you want your kids playing in the street if there was a marmexual living there? I mean.. would you?

Oxboy
    Free Member

Come on chaps try a bit harder, this has got to be another chance for you to bash the BNP???? Surely those that dont agree with gay ministers are Nazi BNP Goose stepping UKIP fascists who should be taken out and shot at dawn because intolerence cannot be . . . er . . . tolerated!!!

😆

konabunny
    Free Member

unless you’re a member of the Baptist Church, I can’t see why you might be interested.

Did anyone actually read the article?

The appointment is to a position within the Church of Scotland. The Church of Scotland is not the same as the/any Baptist Church. This particular Zion Baptist Church is a single, evangelical church in Glasgow. It is not part of the Church of Scotland.

The appointment of a gay (well, apparently happy and openly gay, unlike the others) minister is potentially of interest to people who aren’t Baptists – like, for instance, members of the Church of Scotland or anyone that’s interested in justice and religion (not that those two things go together than often).

WTF it has to do with the rentamob from Zion Baptist Church is less clear – perhaps it just makes a change from protesting outside Marilyn Manson gigs. (I bet Brian would have been touched by their presence and appreciated the kerfuffle – it’s been ages since anyone found him outrageous). And I have no idea why the BBC bothered mentioning those Kansas bampots, as they have no presence in Scotland and are nothing to do with the issue whatsoever.

konabunny
    Free Member

PS

Rest of the poster on the right reads
    “to San Jose
    without delay,
    by the way”

miketually
    Free Member

Things that are not natural: using a knife and fork; central heating; television; teh internets; justice.

Things that are natural: infanticide; gang rape; cannibalism; necrophilia.

Whether something is natural or not is a bit of a silly argument for whether we should be doing it.

Personally, I think that if Jesus had particularly strong views on homosexuality, he’d have said something about not touching other men’s bottoms. He was very explicit on his views on divorce, though that’s something that many Christians are less vocal about strangely.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did anyone actually read the article?

Yeah I read the article – something about some people getting worked up about some gay guy being chosen as some sort of religious bod.

The Zion Baptist Church is the same as the Church of Scotland is it ? Oh well there you go – didn’t know that. Is it all part of the same religion started up by that overweight english serial wife murderer ?

Still, I can’t see why it would be a problem for anyone if they’re not a member of that religion. Personally I couldn’t give a toss if they insisted that only ginger-headed people were allowed to become their ministers – it’s their religion and they can make up whatever rules they want as far as I’m concerned. Can’t see what it’s got to do with anyone else, anymore than whether someone is gay has anything to do with anyone else. People should be able to choose how to live their lives without interference from other people imo.

Anyway, I’m glad I got the Zion Baptist Church/Church of Scotland bit completely wrong, it was worth it – just to make bunnyboy grumpy in the middle of the night.

Oxboy – since you’re back on here flying the BNP banner again and getting all defensive about them, fancy answering my question ?

You know, the one about whether you’re urging just white STW forum users to vote BNP, or whether you think black, asian, chinese, etc, STW forum users should also vote BNP ?

I think you should answer the question, don’t you ? After all, you appear to be keen to mention the BNP at any opportunity.

miketually
    Free Member

One of those ministers, the Rev David Randall, said he believed that “a minister is somebody who ought to live by the Bible”. He said: “We believe that the Bible’s teaching is quite clear in this matter – that marriage is the right and only context for sexual relationships. “After all, if a minister sought to move in with a man, with a woman, to whom he was not married, that would obviously be unacceptable – how much more so when we’re talking about a homosexual.”

To me, that sounds like a great argument for the church to acknowledge gay marriage, rather than a reason why homosexuals shouldn’t be allowed to be ministers.

sq225917
    Free Member

If slightly stupid people dislike benders, what’s the problem? I’m sure some Gays dislike some stupid people.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Gay Scottish minister – to be debated’ is closed to new replies.