Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Gravel bikes with mudguards appreciation…
  • faustus

Another recommendation for V-O guards, They’re expensive but very well made and will last me a long time. Coverage is fantastic and they are solid – and look nice. Got some 650x58mm smooth ones on my Camino and lots of room for the 47mm tyres. I tried some Edge Als in 56mm and the square profile didn;t fit the frame clearances well, which is something to think about, as they are maximum width at the attachment points as opposed to curved. They are solid but the hooped stay clips on the inside of the guard, so not ideal for mud clearance and close fitment.

" alt="" />
    " alt="" />

zippykona

Full mudguards on a bike are like wellies on a kid.
    Making puddles fun.
    I know it’s not gravel.
    Crud xl with the lip on the back melted straight and a bodged mudflap.
    bike

easily
    Free Member

Those VElo-Orange fenders do look good. It’s annoying that the £ price seems to be bigger than the $ price on the UK and US sites though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    razorrazoo

My long suffering CDA, which now just wears the brake calipers from the original spec.  After I bought a proper road bike I put Blumels on it and they’ve not come off since, was a revelation getting back from a wet ride not covered in filth.

rodderz
    Free Member

Just put an Ass Saver on my Aspero. No mounts but I knew that. Spend a lot of time where I’d get mud caught and trapped.

jameso

@easily they should fit fine. Can’t remember what FD was on that bike now, the early gen 11s Shimano FDs are a possible contact point but there shouldn’t be any probs at fork or stays when fitting over a 38mm tyre.

funkmasterp

Thanks for the recommendations scotroutes and jameso

flip456
    Free Member

Any suggestions for a cx bike using mini v brakes?
    I’m looking for more coverage than some old mtb crud catchers. I offered up some sks chromoplastics but the v brake noodle clashed. I suppose I could dremel a clearance channel but it might effect the mudguards strength.

Daffy

damitamit
    Free Member

Put my SKS Edge AL 56 on the Niner this week. Still need to make some flaps…

roverpig

A quick question for the Blumels owners. Mine have arrived and I’ve realised that while my frame has a bridge on the seat stays there isn’t a hole in it. So how important is that bracket? Can I just ignore it or do I need to bodge something?

solarider
    Free Member

In my experience the more you can anchor the mudguards, the less they will rattle and the less likely they will shift and rub your tyre. So, yes I would do something.

BTW, are you sure it isn’t drilled underneath? It would be odd for a frame to have mudguard mounts on the dropouts but not on the bridge.

If the bridge doesn’t have a mount, I suggest that you use a p-clip which offers a very neat solution to the problem assuming your bridge has a round profile.

Kryton57

Does anyone know if I can buy an extension to the fork mounting bracket from somewhere?  I literally need another inch of the sticky-out bit to reach the hole in the fork.

roverpig

Oops. Thanks @solarider you’re quite right. There is a hole on one side, which I assume is threaded. It was just full of mud.

dkelman
    Free Member

@Kryton57, if your fork has threaded mounts on the bottom of the dropout (i.e. facing downwards) you might need an angled bracket. I used the these (in 20mm flavour) and they worked a treat:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Angle-Bracket-L-90-Corner-Brace-20-30-40-50mm-Mending-Galvanised-Plates-13mm/223896747896?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=522644227008&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

faustus

I bought one of these to get the length needed for 650b guards…now sold out here, but see if you can find elsewhere. Fitted perfectly for £3

https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/pdw-tall-front-hanger-12652-p.asp

p7eaven
    Free Member

@roverpig

A quick question for the Blumels owners. Mine have arrived and I’ve realised that while my frame has a bridge on the seat stays there isn’t a hole in it. So how important is that bracket? Can I just ignore it or do I need to bodge something?

I’d say quite important. Although I’m obsessive with getting as near to silent mudguards as possible, so rubber-washer (or cut old pieces of inner-tube) everything.

P-clip or ziptie. I used a ziptie on the Vagabond as it has the same issue as yours. May want to use a little innertube and glue-wrap to keep the ziptie from sliding around be ause no matter how tight you do them the glossy finishes of zipties and clearcoat don’t cause enough friction to stay in place without help.

Again, a (small) coated p-clip should do it. I was going to upgrade the ziptie to one of these anyway. Measure the bridge diameter and source accordingly.

damitamit
    Free Member

Does anyone know if I can buy an extension to the fork mounting bracket from somewhere? I literally need another inch of the sticky-out bit to reach the hole in the fork.

I just made one out of a old blackburn rack stay. Has held up fine for months.

Kryton57

Yes thats what I need….

roverpig

Next problem seems to be that none of the bolts are long enough to go through the hole in the front forks. I’ve nicked the funny “cylindrical nut” from the front brake of the road bike, which does fit in the hole at the rear of the forks, but I still need to find a bolt the right size as all the ones with the Bluemels are too thin. Never expected fitting mudguards to be this hard.

easily
    Free Member

Thanks jameso.

I’ve actually managed to stop the rattling on my old mudguards, for the moment at least. I used some of the silicone seals that I get when I buy e-cigarettes, they seem to have damped the vibration enough. I always knew that smoking was cool.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Never expected fitting mudguards to be this hard.

It never used to be, it’s just that fixings and bits and drabs tend to be online and in bags of 50 these days. Years ago you’d go into an LBS and say have you got one of these and drop a few tokens in the box. Or a hardware/ironmongers shop. Etc. You can still get lucky. Last year went on a hunt for a long M5 bolt to make a stand-off mudguard stay-mount from the L/F dropout mount (to clear the disc caliper) and ended up in an older city LBS, and they gave me three different length ones with a handful of nuts and washers all for a couple of quid.

I actually enjoy fitting and fettling mudguards/fashioning/customising bits and pieces. But it takes beer, and peanuts, and all of Sunday 😉

iainc

Zefal Swan and Croozer on my Fugio 30, with 650 x 47s. Keep my pretty dry and go on and off in less than a minute. If they were 10mm wider they would be ideal, which they were on my Croix de Fer with 700 x 35c tyres.

ajantom

Keep meaning to take a pic now I’ve fitted the SKS Speedrockers.

Very easy set up (less than 15 minutes all in), they come off and go back on in under a minute.
    Fitted the wide stays and forks of the Vagabond no problem.

Very nearly full coverage (rear doesn’t go quite down to the BB), and they’ve not moved a mm over 2 long rides now. Including a section of a mellow red trail centre trail today.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Zefal £8 quid amazon special. Works a treat. Nub end optional.

eskay

Perfect choice today from some damp muddy lanes, still needed a bit of a wipe-over when I got home though.

roverpig

I’ve now joined the ranks of the guarded (thanks to this thread). There is the odd rattle on rough ground and nobody would say it’s improved the looks, but there is a certain joy in riding along a wet and mucky road or track and not getting covered in crap. I even aimed for a few puddles on the shakedown ride 😀

If it wasn’t before, I’d say it’s definitely a tourer now. Not that there is anything wrong with tourers.

rOcKeTdOg

Not pretty but effective

PXL_20201125_154046589

ginkster

@roverpig

Next problem seems to be that none of the bolts are long enough to go through the hole in the front forks.

I had a similar problem so just used a short bolt and only put it through the rear hole in the fork crown. Drop the front wheel out and you should be able to pop a short bolt in from the bottom of the steerer. Hope that makes sense! Makes for a nice neat finish.

roverpig

Now why didn’t I think of that 😩 I ended up ordering some 80mm M5 bolts, which work fine but that’s a much neater solution.

seosamh77
    Free Member

….

faustus

I did the same as ginkster..just popped it through the rear hole and held bolt in place with allen key through front hole. Means you also have the front hole for a light bracket if required…

anagallis_arvensis

dufresneorama
    Free Member

45mm sks bluemel Olympic matt Black.
    Can comfortably run 38mm tyres in them on the full monty sl.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Gone for Gravelhuggers myself – as said previously, not the prettiest but they do the job. This was this morning on way to work and tyres were slick with mud.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of rides with the Kinesis alu guards: they give good coverage and they don’t rattle. So far, so good.

luket

Gravelhuggers here too. A few rides in and they’re effective but the back one is just so spectacularly ugly I can’t bring myself to post a photo of my previously prettiest bike! Front one fairly discreet though.

One disadvantage seems to be a fair bit of the caught mud ends up round BB and chainring and ultimately seems to affect the drivetrain compared with running no guard. I wonder whether a full length guard would spit it out lower and negate this.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I wonder whether a full length guard would spit it out lower and negate this.

Depends how far it extends down. Full-length SKS I’ve run on a few gravel/touring bikes always seem to leave the entire bike clean. Flaps are fitted. Only problem with running long and close guards could be mud-clearance and/or flex interfering with tyre on bumpy sections. Optimal fitting and correct tyre-size/guard-size can avoid all such problems

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Gravel bikes with mudguards appreciation…’ is closed to new replies.