Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Gravel bikes with mudguards appreciation…
  • dkelman
    Free Member

null

Maybe this will work?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@TheBrick fret not. I removed the bell from the bar end as it was going to go free-range on the descent. I popped it back in after. No coring occurred.

@jameso
    I think the Gilles Berthoud U-stay with single perpendicular bolt is the ideal for the carbon guards but it looks like the project isn’t happening.

jimdubleyou

I have these one my gravel bike – keeps the worst of the crap off, but flexible enough not to snap if something gets stuck.

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/zefal-trail-city-mudguards-chizmg309/

That said, the bike is on the turbo for the foreseeable so ho hum…

unclezaskar
    Free Member

Here’s my winter graveller…running 700×42 with SKS full guards

picture hosts

solarider
    Free Member

I have the luxury of a few nice bikes, but this is my absolute favourite.

Long lasting and comfortable ti frame. Fast deep section rims. Wide range cassette. 1 x up front. Laughs in the face of rough roads, wet weather, hills and mud. Not the lightest bike in the garage, not the fastest, but by far the comfiest and I love the mix of old and new school look.

Keep those mudguards. They look decidedly less ridiculous than a spray of s**t up your back and face.

a11y

Just to add the SKS Edge AL guards are bloody awesome. I bought some in 56mm width for my gravelly bike after munrobiker’s comments on here, and they just about cover a set of 700×50. Much more robust than any other mudguards I’ve used before too.

Not even going to try and post an image.

footflaps

My Gravel bike + mudguards.

Mudguards look crap IMO, but are very useful unless you like being covered in crap…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hVzaQd]2019 Specialized Diverge Sport[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

ajantom

I’ve struggled to fit full length guards to my Genesis Vagabond due to the stay and fork width, and the the gap/distance to the seat stay bridge and fork crown.

Just ordered a set of SKS speedrocker mudguards which look good as a compromise between clip on and full-length guards.

funkmasterp

Timely thread. I’m looking for some full guards for my Fugio 30, but can’t find much information on what will work with the stock 47c 650b tyres. Tried mailing Genesis and they were utterly vague. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

dkelman
    Free Member

grandurance with rear mudguard

tenfoot

" alt="Arkose" />

I’ve recently had my first ride with full length mudguards since I was a kid on my Raleigh Hustler GT.

I tried some normal mudguards but couldn’t fit them as I’m running 40 Nanos on a 2015 Arkose frame, so there isn’t much clearance.

The Speedrockers do a great job. Went out yesterday and came back spotless even though the ground was wet and muddy. I still think full mudguards look rubbish, but it’s nice to stay dry for once.

Kryton57

@dkelman great to see another Bergamont!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Has the newly announced, £1700 carbon Boardman ADV 9.0 got guards?

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2375-adv-9.0-2021.html

roverpig

I’m with the OP. I still can’t get myself to click buy on a set of guards for the gravel thing, despite promising myself that I would last winter. So far I’ve got by using waterproof shorts and jacket when it is wet, but maybe I’ll crack at some point.

Kryton57

Well halfway there…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2k69dR1]20201113_160715[/url]

The front doesnt fit under the fork even with some strategic bending, so I need to think of tools I don’t have to cut away, smooth – and repaint with enamel modelling paint I guess – that section of the front guard.   The rear guard is a tight fit so its lucky I don’t do proper off road with it, and your advice is taken re mounting the light etc.

The spacers/bar are deliberately high btw as this is very much a social/z2 bike and I suffer from neck issues so that helps a little.

Looks miles better even with the temporary front race blade.

simondbarnes

I haven’t got a gravel bike. I do currently have mudguards on my cyclocross bike though

damitamit
    Free Member

The front doesnt fit under the fork even with some strategic bending

If you mean width ways, I stuck mine in a vice to crimped the sides to make it fit.

Kryton57

If you mean width ways, I stuck mine in a vice to crimped the sides to make it fit.

I did exactly the same, but that stopped at the bends of the essential 3 sided Guard making the “sides” now long enough to rub on the tire.   I’ve done it neatly and it can be put back and would fit if I could make the mounting bracket – where the bolt goes through – about 3/4 inch taller or some clever solution to bridge the 3/4 inch gap between the bolt and bracket.

specky4eyes
    Free Member

Stigmata with SKS Alu Edge guards

specky4eyes
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2k6aW5W]IMG_20201028_110153_4[/url] by N HERCBERG, on Flickr

Santa Cruz Stigmata with SKS All 56 guards. Maxxis Ravager 40mm tyres. No problems.Had to cut the rear guard behind the bottom bracket so it would fit the contours of the frame.

jameso

I’m looking for some full guards for my Fugio 30, but can’t find much information on what will work with the stock 47c 650b tyres

700 x 50 or 55mm guards should work fine on most bikes that will take 650 x 47 ime, 50s just need a bit more space above to get a decent side gap. The radius of a 700C guard is about what you’d need for a 650 x 47.
    (oddly most 700c guards are the same radius even as the width increases for a larger OD/radius tyre)

scotroutes

@funkmasterp I’m using 53mm SKS Bluemels on my Amazon with 650×47 Byways.

martymac

OP, that looks much better already, they’re much less noticeable when fitted properly. I’m just waiting on my guards arriving in the lbs.
    I went with cube acid guards, they’re the ones that cube spec on my bike if it’s bought fully equipped. My rack is also the cube one, it looks very similar to munrobikers setup on page 1.

p7eaven
    Free Member

and I suffer from neck issues so that helps a little.

Flipping the stem may help further?

p7eaven
    Free Member

I’ve struggled to fit full length guards to my Genesis Vagabond due to the stay and fork width, and the the gap/distance to the seat stay bridge and fork crown.

What tyres? I fitted some 45c IIRC (Schwalbe Silento) and a set of Bluemels

If memory serves:

– Made bend/s in the front (L) stay to clear the brake caliper
    – Used a slotted stainless plate to lengthen/lower the fork-crown bracket*
    – put a long bolt between the rear rack carriers on the seat stay to make a ‘bridge’ for attaching rear guard centre clip.

*You can see it behind the fork crown on the pic here where I’d just fitted the,. Still had yet to trim off the stays, and the zip-tie at the ‘bridge’ (bolt between rack-mounts on seat stays)

soundninjauk

This is all making me feel much better about my intent to fit full length mudguards to my Mason Bokeh when it turns up in a couple of weeks (SKS bluemels in 45mm width).

p7eaven
    Free Member

@ajantom

*edit – Sorry, may have confused my seat-bridge finagling with a Longitude project. It’s been a while. re the Vagabond, not sure now if I didn’t just zip-tie the rear-guard bracket to the existing s-stay bridge. Seems likely.

prezet
    Free Member

Just finshed winterising my new Diverge…

dukeduvet

Just fitted some old crud catchers on mine. Only been on the road so far but kept me dry. I quite like the mix of mtb and road aesthetic. Hope the pic works.

https://flic.kr/p/2k6onTk

dukeduvet

marin

I’ll see if this works too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mine are SKS something or anothers, came with the bike. Theyr’e ok but the back wheel wouldn’t go round after a clarty stretch of BW last Thursday.
    May have to put a Mudhugger on. Either that or use the HT.

125370652_432797034391803_5597946732824798951_n

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ longer stays required at the back? Looks too snug for mud tbh

fingerbike
    Free Member

@munrobiker What rack do you have there exactly? Looks great.

matt_outandabout

^ longer stays required at the back? Looks too snug for mud tbh

I fitted mrs_oab and middle_oab’s guards too close, having only ever seen guards on road bikes before. Thankfully I had enough mm of stay left to up them an extra bit.
    I plan on fitting mine with a few more mm again.

roverpig

Well it turned out that one more wet descent on a forest track with my chest and face being blasted with gritty water was all it took to crack my no-mudguards resolve. That and confirmation from @scotroutes that they work with 47mm Byways (thanks) mean that a set of 53mm SKS Bluemels are now on order.

fudge9202
    Free Member
    chrisdb
    Free Member

Whilst they aren’t particularly aesthetically pleasing, I do love my full length mudguards at this time of year.

abingham

I finally embraced mudguard lyfe on my Surly 1×1 commuter a few years back and went straight for a set of Velo-Orange guards. Best by far for my money.

Yes, a bit pricey, and yes are a bit of a faff to fit initially, but no rattles or squeaks, look about as classy as mudguards can and just quietly do their job!

I’ve got a set of 650b V-O Zepplins (in 50mm flavour, and black) on the Pipedream and they clear 47mm WTB Horizons with a pleasingly tight fitment and no rub.

easily
    Free Member

I see that @jameso is on this thread.

Jameso, would the SKS Edge 46s shown by munrobiker earlier in the thread fit a 2018 Arkose three? I’m using 700×38 tyres. At the moment I’m using blumenthals, but I cannot get them to stop rattling so I’m looking for something else. The Edges look great.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Gravel bikes with mudguards appreciation…’ is closed to new replies.