Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gathering firewood from the beach
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How much longer to ‘season’ the wood from the beach for a log burner, than standard cut wood?.

Cheers.

geoffj

None – if anything the water helps with the seasoning and may speed it up.

project
    Free Member

You need to obtain a licence to take anything from a beach as theyre all owned by the queen and her government,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bassspine
    Free Member

I often collect driftwood to burn. it is usually woodburnerable immediately.

I’ve never heard of having a license to collect driftwood, it’s either flotsam, jetsam or salvage, aharrrr! 🙂 I suspect if you started to take large quantities of pebbles or lorry loads of sand you might be breaking laws…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Great.

Bugger to her maj.

Nico
    Free Member

Presumably you are using wood that you know hasn’t been treated, so you aren’t releasing dioxins into your living room?

Thought not.

You’ll probably die.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Nico – the dioxins in the driftwood will have already been absorbed by the sea …….. and was in that tuna sandwich what you ate.

bassspine
    Free Member

the dioxins (if there’s any left) will go up the chimney. thus becoming a SEP.

zokes
    Free Member

Presumably you are using wood that you know hasn’t been treated, so you aren’t releasing dioxins into your living room?

Why would they go into his room? Isn’t that what chimneys are for?

project
    Free Member

Expect a visit from the persom soon with little interpersonal skills , the, stealing, wood off the beach, then burning it on a wood burner, releasing dioxins and other nasties in to the atmosphere, producing smoke, if youre in a smokeless zone area, then theres the possibilty of your chimney catching fire due to the build up of resins from the timber, as well as sparks blowing onto the carpet, and setting fire to tyour house, not to mention the other possibility of more sparks going into a neighhbours open window, and setting fire to a neighbours house.You may also get a splinter off the so called free wood, that may infect your finger, this may carry on into your body and result in an early death.

Dont do it, its not worth it.

bassspine
    Free Member

I think project wants to keep all the driftwood to himself

Strangelove
    Free Member

do you mean collecting wood like this?

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

The saltwater helps to season the wood pretty well. Obviously it is a matter of personal tatse, but a dash of cayenne or paprika should round it off nicely for a nice smokey burn 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gathering firewood from the beach’ is closed to new replies.