• This topic has 35 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Gas bottle log burners
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Anyone have any links to sellers? Anyone bought one lately?

Ive found a few on eBay. Some seem a bit ropey, others are very nice.
    Need something for the garage (thanks for reminding me wrightyson! 😉 ) but it needs to be v cheap.

Show me pics of yours?

bruneep

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gas-Bottle-Wood-Burner/

Thought a man of your skills could knock one together.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Didnt they result in a court case preventing them from being sold ?

Bear
    Free Member

one of these?

Stoner
    Free Member

One thing I havent bothered getting the equipment for is welding. Even the cheapest arc welder from Machine mart costs £110+ for one that might manage 4mm.

I used to weld on the farm though, so maybe I could borrow someones kit from the pub. ❓

Ive seen some non-weld ones and they all look a bit leaky. Hmm maybe some fire rope and fire cement could be put into use.

My biggest problem is flueing. My roofing is highly combustible (Bitumen sheeting) so unless I spend a load on some twinwall, I need to work out how to flue safely. I dont think I have much alterantive.

May be I just have a small brazier instead and no flueing – there’s plenty of air space in the workshop and enough drafts….just have to use dry wood.

Bear – maybe I could integrate a solar controller/thermal store with a chiminea eh?

emsz
    Free Member

Ohhh are you building things again?

ace.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Out the wall and up the outside of he building ?

Id offer you my welder but i aint posting

Ps gumtree for cheap descent powered arcs, i see them often. Been tempted to pick un up to use for welding in tight spaces, easier to get a rod in than the torch on the glue gun at times.

Guess its because folks underestimate the practice needed to get a good clean weld with an arc as oppose the ease of using a mig.

Stoner
    Free Member

Running your workshop flue externally should be avoided if possible.

http://www.workshopstoves.co.uk/workshop-flue-readme.asp

The more I think of it the more I know I cant flue at all.
    Damn.

I think Im going to have sort out some kind of small firepit/brazier thing and just have it burn open in the shed.

Stoner
    Free Member

maybe something like this.

It’s going to mainly be burning off cuts of timber etc. As long as avoid stuff with heavy glues or dipped/tanalised stuff it should be ok.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If possible ….. Doesnt say you will blow up 🙂

Up the inside…. 2 feet below roofline, stick it outside to avoid the roof.

My main stoves got a 90 degree bend out the back of the stove and a 45 to meet up with the chimney and its got a hell of a draw on it

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dude, your gonna get smoked to death with that ….. I have one of them in the garden for bbqs and parties and its good for that but i would not be lighting it inside !

Stoner
    Free Member

for various complex reasons involving someone else’s large bovine livestock and low roofs the flue definitely can not go out the side and then up.

Smoky even with kiln dried construction timber?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Get anew roof or fit an alternative heating method
    You cannot seriously be considering an open fire in a room without a chimney

Been in winterised yurts with open fires [ they still had a roof opening that vented but no actual chimney] it will be smoky to the point of unsafe/unpleasant as that was just smoky and unpleasant.

geoffj

Machine mart used to do cheap log burners.
    Can you not replace a section of roof panel with a safer alternative – corrugated steel sheet perhaps 😉 and then run the flue through that?

Stoner
    Free Member

bollox to it 🙁

Karinofnine

! there are signs at the site warning us not to use barbecues or wood fires in tents or awnings – there have been several deaths from carbon monoxide. If you look at the Albion Canvas website you will see they have stoves with chimneys that go out through the roof of their yurts so they must have figured out how to deal with the heat.

Bear
    Free Member

Stoner – they are known as bombs on wheels because of the potential danger with them, mostly co poisoning.

Sure you can’t flue through roof with some twin wall and a lead slate to provide air gap? Might gather some twin wall from a few jobs in the future……

andyl
    Free Member

machinemart have small burners starting at £90 + vat. Just stump up for some twinwall and do it properly. You know it makes sense.

ourmaninthenorth

Twinwall.

If the roof is low, this’ll me you won’t have much vitreous flue (if you’re doing it by the book, which you are right…?), so won’t get the same heat benefit and may need a slightly more powerful stove in there.

alibongo001

Not sure of the exact make up of your shed Stoner, but I saw a log burner with the fitting kit for a Yurt on Ebay!

I would have thought if you can have a flue through some material, you should be able to get one through a shed roof safely!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stove-Wood-burner-for-Bell-tent-/320983255730?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&hash=item4abc17cab2

This sort of thing!

Sorry, missed a couple of posts and see others have mentioned yurts etc worth a look on Ebay to see how they do it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

AFAIK They are technically illegal to make and the HSE will prosecute due to the inherent dangers involved in making them. It can be done safely but it can also go wrong.

sweepy
    Free Member

linkHave a look at rocket stoves/ mass heaters, they are very efficient and the exhaust is pretty cool.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do you not know anyone with decent woodworking kit that might be stopping by that would jigsaw a neat hole in the roof? 🙂

Bear
    Free Member

And of course if you had my suggestion it would have all the flue you need supplied with it and a lead slate……

mattsccm
    Free Member

Technically easy to make and the “dangers” are theoretical based on modern H&S bs.
    Empty cylinder and leave open for a few days to really empty. Point valve away from you and hit with sledge hammer. Nowt will happen if you have emptied it apart from the valve falling off.. If you are really paranoid fill it with water now to flush it.
    I belive my brother is planning a mk 2 on its side with a door at the end. Allows 4 foot timber.
    I think the flue sounds your biggest headache. Might have to spend money which is to be avoided.

TooTall
    Free Member

Stoner – they are known as bombs on wheels because of the potential danger with them, mostly co poisoning.

Really? I’ve heard them called ‘bombolas’ in Italy because that is what the gas bottles are called there. As for ‘potential danger’? I suppose anything that combusts without proper air supply has the same ‘potential danger’. Not many statistics to back up your Daily Mail-esque scare either.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We had a gas heater for years when we were kids. Used it all winter. It used to make us very sleepy, mind.

Stoner
    Free Member

and as far as I can tell hasnt affected your brain function that much really DD….

Stoner
    Free Member

Roight. Maybe time to look at a short length of twin wall, through a silicone flashing sitting on a length of single wall. Then find some twinwall s/h on ebay.

Marko

I have a old Arc welder you can borrow if you go down the DIY stove route. I think I also have a pile of rods somewhere.

You’d need to collect it, but I’m not that far from you.
    Hth
    Marko

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

and as far as I can tell hasnt affected your brain function that much really DD….

Nurrrrrrrrrrrr

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers Marko, will bear in mind.

ski
    Free Member

Stoner have you seen these portable wood burning stoves and the tent flashing kit they do for it? 😯

http://www.belltent.co.uk/truly_portable_wood_burning_stove

Stoner
    Free Member

looks neat ski. But £180 before I get a flashing….
    So £210ish all in.

Maybe that’s not so bad as a gas bottle burner is about £90, s/h flue will be £20 (single) + £20 adaptor + £50 twin wall….and then the flashing…

hmmmm..and I could pack it in the camper van 😉

EDIT: or even (as my trusty brainy wife has pointed out) to the coppice if I manage to buy the one at auction Im after….

Ski. I think I love you.

Bear
    Free Member

TT – room volume required for a 4kw heater is about 80m3 from memory.

plus approx 120cm2 of airvent.

How many times do you see them installed in rooms much smaller than that? How many times when they are on do you see the windows run with condensation? How many times do you see a purpose provided air brick?

The answer to most of those I know hence why they are bombs on wheels, they are used in the most inappropriate of situations. They are a FLUELESS appliance.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Gas bottle log burners’ is closed to new replies.