• This topic has 27 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Gas bbq's..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

What’s the point of them? Any time I’ve tried to use one they just cremate the food, this is exacerbated by the fat which drips down and stokes the flames.

No smokey charcoal effect on the food as with a traditional coal bbq.

Is it a technique thing?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any time I’ve tried to use one they just cremate the food, this is exacerbated BT the fat which drips down and stokes the flames.

Operator Error?

I could do just about anything on the Webber from a toasted BLT to perfect Halloumi, great fish and the ability to tune the heat/fire to perfection for what you are trying to cook.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

gas? no point mights as well do it in the kitchen. Charcol taste is the point. Fat dripping, crap cheap meat/burgers too hot operator error. Cremation is operator error, I cook fish and all sort on BBQ.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

gas? no point mights as well do it in the kitchen.

You have a gas grill in the kitchen?

Charcol taste is the point.

Lots of the flavour in the food I cook comes from the flavour I put in it

loddrik
    Free Member

Surely the point of a bbq is the coals are ready when the flames have gone and the coals have turned from black to grey? The gas bbq relies on flames.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not really loddrik, the flames creat the heat, the lid on works to keep it hot. The Weber has a gas ring round the outside so the entire middle is free of flames.
    Also lots of the big aussie gas BBQ’s have a solid plate on one section so no flames at all.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Nice fence

brack
    Free Member

I have to say I totally agree with the OP’s comments re creating food. We live by the beach and barbecue all year.. We’ve tried most of the ‘portable’ gas barbecues but most go back to the shop as they are utter pap.

For portable barbecuing now we just use a basic camping stove with a girdle plate.

For authentic barbecuing weve built a brick one at home.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not my fence or BBQ just had 2 of those and they are just really good, easy and portable. Not found anything I can’t cook better than on a charcoal BBQ and it can be good to go in about 10 mins from cold so perfect for cooking when you feel with it.

RustyMac

Got a smaller version of mikewsmith’s BBQ a Q100 that is now a Q1000.

Works fantastically.

I often don’t have the chance to wait for a charcoal BBQ to get to ready for cooking on but have been mighty impressed with the webber since we got it.

ourmaninthenorth

Deffo technique.

And I speak as a committed charcoal user. Going to roast two chickens shortly….

sharkbait
    Free Member

3 x weber Q here – if you burn something you’ve done it wrong. Cheap gas bbq are fairly crap though.
    I like charcoal too but it’s just not as quick and easy so needs more planning. Certainly no good for my bbq bacon butty in the morning.

jonnyrockymountain

Weber q200 here superb, wouldn’t touch charcoal now!!!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What is the definition of a BBQ? I say something powered by gas isn’t a bbq ….

theotherjonv

Had a long discussion on this with a friend earlier as we waited for our food to cook (perfectly) on my Weber gas grill.

Barbecue means many things to many folks. A southern states barbecue is a low, slow, roasting affair. An Argentinian barbecue is direct heat and intense high speed cooking. I grew up on cremated outsides and raw middles on a charcoal grill, I now prefer the control of a gas grill but with the cover down to add the smoke, but I’ll whack it up high and direct heat chicken kebabs or steaks. Or even get the charcoal out for that if I can be bothered.

The sooner we do away with ‘barbecue’ as a term to cover all these techniques the better. And if you’re burning your food on a gas grill, there’s some phrase about workmen and tools that springs to mind.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

howsyourdad1 – Member
    What is the definition of a BBQ? I say something powered by gas isn’t a bbq ….
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Australia disagrees. I some ways the English “to bbq” has nothing to do with cooking more the art of flapping round claiming to be a real man by cooking with fire while serving charred food 2hrs later than planned then running back inside when it starts to rain.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Briquettes… Lol. Suppose for one day a year it’s fun. You know restaurants with Michelin stars use gas grills? They seem to get flavour. Waste of time on Oz we use gas as we tend to cook and eat outdoor a fair bit.

TooTall
    Free Member

We have a gas grill and it uses indirect heat. Works really well – sort of like a charcoal grill without the faff and with way more control. People who live in warmer places and who grill more often tend to use gas for the convenience and cleanliness. It’s just how it is.

As for using briquettes? No thanks. 😥

[video]https://youtu.be/f3TZROSXHxI[/video]

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Here in Thailand, I and our friends barbeque maybe three times a week.

Gas BBQs are great as they’re easy and you still have the cooking-outside experience. Piles and piles of the stone charcoal briquette-things give less smoke and better control of the temp. Often, getting them really hot and then turning the flames off is enough to cook with. Throwing a handful of well-soaked wood chips gives the smokey flavour.

Having said that, I use one of these

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I have no idea on what defines a bbq just thought it was a relatively interesting point . My guess would be some smoke had to be involved . Not claiming to know , but in my little world gas isn’t really a BBQ. oh and mikewsmith, chill my man.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oh and mikewsmith, chill my man.

chilled enough here.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Die hard charcoal here….

Well, until just moved to Oz. Weber Q200 All the way now. So quick. Cooks to perfection.
    No nuking.

theotherjonv

Like I said, trying to get all these different techniques under one banner is a bit like saying it’s all just biking. I wouldn’t take a road TT bike down a downhill course, it’s the wrong tool, despite still being a bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

that might be the case but it’s all about cooking outside and making good food. It’s entirely possible and quite easy.

Olly
    Free Member

Outdoor Oven. BBQ = Charcoal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Olly – Member
    Outdoor Oven. BBQ = Charcoal.

Outdoor oven?

It’s amazing how much it seems to offend people that charcoal isn’t the only choice, if it cooks well what’s the problem?

Olly
    Free Member

Not offended, just seems a bit pointless. if i wanted my dinner cooked to perfection, i would do it in my oven! I want that slightly elevated cancer risk!

“She” wants a wood firied pizza oven, but im pretty sure it would fill our back yard so am resisting. That and its a good brownie points project to keep up ones sleeve for when she goes away for a week

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Gas bbq's..?’ is closed to new replies.