Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Gas BBQs, any good deals?
  • mudmuncher

Always been a hardcore charcoal, burnt on the outside salmonella on the inside kind of a man and thought gas BBQs were cheating.

Had a BBQ round at a mates on his gas BBQ and was pretty impressed. Any recommendations for a gas BBQ in the £150-200 range? Ideally would like one with a side burner.

Cheers!

bigblackshed

Argos have some Outback BBQs on offer ATM.

OUTBACK @ ARGOS

My Outback has been great. 8 years old and still going strong.

jonnyrockymountain

Weber q1200 with stand £194.99 at wowbbq.co.uk
    Fantastic bit of kit with 5 yr warranty

craigxxl
    Free Member

Outback +1

Had mine for about a decade. Still works and looks like new.

djflexure

This was the best deal I found
    The new outbacks are not built like the old ones. I think that goes for most of what you find on offer. Would not want to pay more than 200 for that reason. The Beefeater has been good so far, comes with side burner and griddle.

samuri
    Free Member

Make sure the one you get is easy to clean. Ours is a nightmare. The base plate where all the grease collects is fixed in place and it’s really hard to reach it round the burners.
    Apart from that it’s great for cooking stuff on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cast Iron grill is key, another vote for webber Q, on our second as we had to leave one in the UK when moving to Oz

IanW
    Free Member

The Outback finally expired (c.10yrs of living outside) with the burner rusted to nothing. Its temporarily replaced with a traditional kettle type that I’m quite enjoying.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We have an outback sort and two Weber Q (100 at the beach and 200 at the house).
    Outback type is good but possible too big for our family of 5. Weber Q are pretty much faultless. Cast griddle, alloy casing (so no rust) and easy to strip and clean if you feel so inclined.

mudmuncher

Seems to be a lot of thumbs up for the webers, but it looks like they take special canisters rather than plugging into a standard gas bottle. Doesn’t that get a bet expensive and I imagine they don’t last long?

spacehopper

Ive got a barely used Weber Q200 for sale including a gas bottle if anyone’s interested?

Based in Leeds..

sharkbait
    Free Member

The Weber Q100 is suposed to take [fairly standard] small cylinders but I cut the pipe and inserted a quick release fitting so that i can now run it off either little cylinders or a standard 15kg job.
    The Q200 runs off small patio gas cylinder.
    It’s really just down to the regulator.

alibongo001

How much for the Q200 Spacehopper?

I am near leeds and have an aging B&Q special that I could to to replace

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Gas BBQ ??? Really ?

Just get a Weber charcoal kettle job it will last decades combined with a chimney starter and you are good to go.

If you are burning the outside and getting raw inside you need to brush up your techniques, I had a gas BBQ but now use a charcoal Weber kettle and am loveing it

bigblackshed

I just knew someone would be along and start dissing the gas. Horses for courses. I’ve got 3, gas Outback flatbed, Webber charcoal kettle and a Webber Go Anywhere portable charcoal.

The convenience of gas when you want to grill some bits and bobs, the slow ritual of charcoal when you want to roast a joint or you have some good quality steak.

I was bought the Webber pizza stone for Fathers Day, that’s so getting used tomorrow.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Djflex… just went on to buy one of those beefeaters, they look good, but they want 50 quid delivery…. did you pay that much?

spacehopper

how does £95 sound?

Mikeypies
    Free Member

You misunderstand not dissing gas BBQ (I had one for several years) but tbh the kettle charcoal type seem to be better mind I might have had a rubbish one. Also the charcoal is cheaper to buy and not much to go wrong.

This site has a good review of both,I rate this site as it not only gives you recipes it explains why and how it is my go to site for all BBQ info and so far all the info has been good

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/grills/charcoal_grills_vs_gas_grills.html

djflexure

Djflex… just went on to buy one of those beefeaters, they look good, but they want 50 quid delivery…. did you pay that much?

Delivery was free a couple of months ago for us.

poonprice
    Free Member

I’d say don’t go too cheap with a gas BBQ, we had a cheap £120 one from Homebase and it never really got hot enough. This was good as it was hard to burn food but took ages to cook!

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I have both a Weber charcoal kettle for roasts and large gatherings and a Weber Q120 for mid-week bbq’s after work and would not be without both.

bigblackshed

Sorry Mikey

Gas BBQ ??? Really ?

So I jumped up and started sharpening the pitch fork. 😉

My Outback has been great. Really solid build. It’s actualy 10 years old not 8 like i said up there. ^^^^^ The latest ones don’t seem quite as well built, but then they are half the price I paid.

When it dies I’ll buy a Webber. My 2 charcoal ones are superb.

mudmuncher

I wonder if you could just buy a burner that you could temporally place inside a charcoal bbq.

Then you’d have the best of both worlds. Satisfying the primal instinct to cook with fire, but when you just want a quick BBQ without the hassle then place a burner inside where the charcoal normally sits and away you go.

notlocal
    Free Member

Groupon have a couple on offer just now. Not sure of the make, but could be worth a look.

mudmuncher

Thanks for the groupon tip.

Leaning a bit towards the gas webers though.

anyone know if the q1200 stand easily detaches so you can also use it as a portable BBQ?

rkk01
    Free Member

Gas BBQ ??? Really ?
    Just get a Weber charcoal kettle job it will last decades combined with a chimney starter and you are good to go.
    If you are burning the outside and getting raw inside you need to brush up your techniques, I had a gas BBQ but now use a charcoal Weber kettle and am loveing it

This. 1000 times over.

Gas, really? Just go inside and use the hob.

Utterly, utterly pointless

sharkbait
    Free Member

Gas, really? Just go inside and use the hob

A bit tricky at the beach to be fair.
    Waiting 45 minutes for the charcoal to be ready (and another hour after cooking while it cools down) just for 10 minutes cooking is

Utterly, utterly pointless

YMMV

mudmuncher

Gas, really? Just go inside and use the hob.

Mmmm, the point is I just want to go outside and use the hob/grill.

Not denying the charms of the charcoal BBQ as stated in my first post and may also invest in a charcoal weber as my current charcoal one is on its last legs.

What I’d like to do is do a lot more cooking outside during the summer maybe 4 or 5 days a week, including cooking the kids tea so I can keep an eye on them while they play outside and gas would be a lot quicker and convenient and my clothes won’t stink of smoke/lighter fluid/petrol and I won’t have to get the washing off the clothes line beforehand.

notlocal
    Free Member

Surely, if the anti gas snobs want authentic bbq, then the only method is a large hole in the ground and a large fire in said hole. Containing the fire and embers in a metal box just isn’t the same. Totally ruins that authentic flavour 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Gas BBQs, any good deals?’ is closed to new replies.