Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • garmin watch charging issues
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve had a refurbed Garmin Instinct watch since July and now can’t imagine life without Garmin data.

However, im having issues charging it. It holds charge well but getting it to charge when its kaput is a bit hit and miss.

The only method that works is to give the charging connectorss a wash with baby wipes and it seems to work, although sketchy

presumably this is because the female connector sits next to my sweaty wrist and needs to be cleaned. Just wondering does anyone have this issue and deal with it this way or perhaps its a warranty issue or replace the charging cable?

My other question is: if I replace will a Forerunner do the job? I only use the Instinct for timing, HRM, GPS / distance etc etc. A lot of features don’t get used

MSP

Yep, I wipe the contacts with an alcohol swab every now and then when I start getting charging problems. I have had this with a couple of fenix’s and my current descent.

ta11pau1

I bought a 2 pack charging cable off Amazon (round disc type) which came with a baggie of little silicon charge port covers, apart from one of the chargers being a bit finicky I’ve not had any issues in the 2.5 years I’ve had my forerunner 245.

Edit: this one

https://amzn.eu/d/cICILVz

leegee

Former colleague gave me his Forerunner 235 which stopped charging, I bought a new cable and got 2 years use out of it.

aide

Ended up buying some of the wee silicon charge ports off ebay so I wouldn’t get this problem, seems to have worked so far

5lab

I’ve never had to clean the back of my instinct to get it to charge. Try a new cable otherwise send the watch back

dissonance

Would definitely start by cleaning the connectors. They arent in the best position.
    I brought a pack of charge port covers which seems to help.

Hedgehopper

Are you using the same power source to charge it? I had problems with my Forerunner charging and have found that with some sources it won’t and others it will. Same cable so not that.

aide

Also found that the round charger bases seems to help as the watch fits better on it than just a standard charger

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve not had an issue with mine charging, but I do take it off and give it/my wrist a good scrub each morning in the shower as I find otherwise the skin gets sore. Maybe that’s enough to keep the contacts clean. I would have thought the stainless connectors on the watch would be fine, but the cable itself may be plated copper?

ta11pau1

but I do take it off and give it/my wrist a good scrub each morning in the shower as I find otherwise the skin gets sore.

I used to get that quite often as the salt from your sweat accumulates on the strap and irritates the skin – I’ve switched to a nylon strap (like the ultrafit band on the enduro 2, but a cheap Amazon one) and it’s solved it completely.

ayjaydoubleyou

Yes, me and the girlfriend both have this issue.
    Really annoying if it is completely dead.
    If theres still some charge, the green light that does the heart rate monitor – if that light is on or flashing, that means it isnt charging.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to get that quite often as the salt from your sweat accumulates on the strap and irritates the skin – I’ve switched to a nylon strap (like the ultrafit band on the enduro 2, but a cheap Amazon one) and it’s solved it completely.

Yea, annoyingly I bought a nice stretchy nylon band thinking it would be a bit more breathable, but the garmin uses 2.5mm pins and the strap takes 1.8mm pins (which fall straight through the holes in the watch body.

fingerbang
    Free Member

thanks everyone, Tallpaul – I’ve bought that cable and port covers cheers

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Replace the cable is a cheap first option and revived mine to the point it was only this thread that reminded me I had ever had an issue.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

My Garmin charging problems were related to the male connector going a bit wobbly and it not seating properly into the watch. It was fixed by getting a pair of needle nose pliers and squeezing the metal tab bits slightly inwards. The connection was then much more solid and charging back to normal.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.