• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by spev.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin vivosmart hr +
  • spev

Anybody used one for cycling? I know it is primarily a runner/activity tracker and it doesn’t have a dedicated cycle mode.  Some people seem to use it but they seem very vague as to how good or suitable it is. I’ve got the chance to acquire one at a good price through work.

I’ve got no interest in running by I like to track my walking and cycling for calories and I like to sync to strava.

hols2
    Free Member

I have a Vivoactive with GPS. The cycling mode is an app. I assume the Vivosmart will also be able to run that. Not having GPS will limit it for cycling though. I basically only use mine to upload to Strava, I don’t much like the Garmin software.

spev

The plus has a gps but seems geared to running, it’s got an “other” setting which seems to be for any sport other than running,  will give it a go I think, just a shame it doesn’t have a “bike ” optionp

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If all you are doing is tracking then no need for a specific bike option, just use other and specify cycling when you upload.

dmorts

I have one. I have used it for cycling and it works ok. The GPS is less accurate than a phone though (unsurprisingly). If you’re doing twisty trails under tree cover it tends to straight line routes more than a phone. It can take a while to get a GPS lock sometimes too.

If you want more accuracy, you should be able to do the GPS tracking with Strava on your phone and your the heart rate from the watch, via Ant+ (not tried this yet though).

dmorts

If all you are doing is tracking then no need for a specific bike option, just use other and specify cycling when you upload

This is true but a tailored option can help, e.g. logging waypoints more frequently as you’re moving faster when cycling compare to walking or swimming. I don’t know if you can change the frequency of logging on the watch.

scaredypants

<derailment>

Polar 430? – has a cycling mode and tracks pretty well on “high” GPS setting.  HR seems fairly accurate compared to chest strap

It’s big and fairly ugly, mind – and costs more than a garmin (on RRP).  Is it only garmin that you can get cheap?

spev

I can get Lezyne at a reasonable deal as well, just not as good as the Garmin at the moment (and the HR is a belt which I dislike). If I can increase the frequency of the logging then that’s fine. I use Strava for logging but am unconcerned about KOM’s and the like ( im happy being in the top half results at my age).

Thanks for all your comments I think I’ll give it a go and report back how it is.

spev

I’ve just read the manual through again and it doesn’t mention whether you can adjust the frequency of data logging GPS date ( My Etrex Legend has this option) so more googling for me 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin vivosmart hr +’ is closed to new replies.