Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Garmin Virb (Elite) battery life – how long in reality ?
  • fubar
    Free Member

I used my Virb Elite for the 1st time yesterday and was disappointed to find it closed down in under 2 hours (about 1:50). I never expected to see the advertised 3 hours but reviews had suggested around 2:20 or 2:25.

I’m interested to know how long other people are getting out of it (& any tips to extend). Not sure what I can do about it now (other than buy a 2nd battery) as I bought it back in February from Amazon. Could always call Garmin I guess.

(Fully charged again this morning and running a 2nd test right now)

Rubber_Buccaneer

I only dug mine out recently to use on holiday next week. First test ride, after messing around with setting it up in the shed using wifi etc, it cut out as soon as I tried to record some footage out on a ride 👿 A search of the internet found loads of people with the same problem and the solution was to leave it charging all night then try again. Worked a treat.

Don’t know how long I get now but my reason for telling you this lengthy story is…give it a cycle through flat to fully charged, maybe even leaving it charging longer than it says it wants and you may find battery life improves.

jonathan
    Free Member

How are you using it? You’ll get longer battery life for recording with the GPS switched off. Similarly you’ll get longer power for GPS if you’re not recording video. When I got it I’m pretty sure I got near to 3 hours out of it, but that was minimizing the video recording towards the end to make sure it lasted for the GPS tracking.

Having used it again recently after ages sat in a drawer I’d echo the “leave it charging for ages” thing. Despite claiming it was fully charged, mine kept cutting out after an annoying 20s footage. One loooong charge later and it was fine.

fubar
    Free Member

2nd attempt a much more reasonable 2hr 30min. I left it charging for a couple of hours after the charging lamp turned green, also turned the gps off since I was indoors. I’ll give it another long charge and try it outdoors again. I’ll probably be buying a 2nd battery or external power pack (guess problem there is water would get to the usb connectors). Great, over 2 hours is fine (under wasn’t).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Virb (Elite) battery life – how long in reality ?’ is closed to new replies.