Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin software rant
  • stcolin
    Free Member

So I’m trying to update the maps on my Edge 520 Plus. And have been for the last 2 days. Garmin software must be the most unreliable software I’ve ever used. I have updated Garmin Express to the lastest version, on 3 machines, 2 laptops and 1 desktop. None have worked. The upload gets to about 20% and then fails. It also took multiple attempts to get Garmin Express updated to the latest version. If it wasn’t for the decent hardware, I’d never use it.

I haven’t raised a ticket with Garmin yet, as the last time I did that about bluetooth connection issues with a Forerunner watch, they were useless.

Does anyone have any tips?

hopster
    Free Member

Have you tried to factory reset the device? I’ve generally been lucky with the Garmin devices I have owned and none have had software issues (perhaps I’ve been lucky). When I did have a problem my Garmin Support experience was also managed efficiently. Unrelated to software, battery issue.

stcolin
    Free Member

I haven’t done a factory reset yet. My understanding is that you are downloading the .img file to your computer and then it is installed to the device. This is issue seems to be related to the download of that file.

igm

Garmin Connect on the phone?

PJay
    Free Member

There are some ideas here – https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=GuclsqmdI02dC0ULxHR2T6 (although most of it’s the usual “it’s your hardware/software that’s at fault”).

It’s a bit of a stab in the dark, but my Oregon plays better with certain usb ports than others (I also have a vague recollection that removing an installed SD card might help).

RDL-82
    Free Member

Mac or Windows?

Theres definitely issues on Mac and well documented, but I think that’s more watches and how MacOS chooses to use usb or something.

With both OS’es though shouldn’t the 520 ‘mount’ as a removable drive/device and you can just drag and drop the map file.

Or is it an official Garmin map update you are trying to update and need to use Express?

stcolin
    Free Member

I’m on Windows. It’s the official Garmin map through Garmin Express.

The device is only recognised as a ‘hard drive’ if plugged into a USB3.0 port. It has worked in the past with other map updates, but they took only a couple of attempts.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Delete all of the activity history on the 520 if you haven’t already, and try again.

robvalentine

sounds like a memory issue… I delete all activity every so often, and usually solves issues such as telling you to turn, just after you have passed the junction.

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll try deleting the history.

riddoch

Have you got enough disk space on the area that Garmin express is installed too?

My edge causes my PCs to blue screen when it changes to the connected mode. It’s fine on other machines just that one PC on any USB port.

rickmeister

Download the maps to the computer, then update the GPS?

fossy

I’ve got an Explore now (already have a 705 and 200) and only do the updates over bluetooth with the phone and Garmin Connect on the Explore. Never plugged it into the PC, unlike the 705 and 200.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin software rant’ is closed to new replies.