Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Garmin Scales or cheaper alternative
  • andykentos
    Free Member

Hi

My girlfriend is trying to find a birthday present for me and i have been considering a set of scales. To be honest i am a bit of a data freak and want something that connects to garmin connect and works together with fenix 6. Basically something that i can weigh myself in the morning and will automatically upload to garmin connect.

Is this only acheivable with the garmin scales or is there an alternative available? Also is it actually worthwhile or all in all pretty pointless! Basically looking for some feedback on people that use scales and whether it is worthwhile. Also is it possible that more than one person can use them or would be that for example when my girlfriend uses them here data would appear on my garmin….

Thanks in advance

ANdy

jimdubleyou

We have the withings something or other.

Works well, integrates with most things.

Since we’ve had them, I’ve lost nearly 25% of my mass. The pretty graph it draws is quite motivating.

turboferret

I have a set of Garmin scales and like them.  Multiple users – all you need is a Garmin Connect account and you can add people, it guesses who is on the scales based on the weight, but you can scroll through users by tapping your foot if it’s got it wrong.  This is normally because your partner has weighed themselves and told the scales that they are you!  Easy enough to spot a rogue weight on your graphs and delete that data point.  Does more than just weight, body fat, hydration etc might not be 100% accurate, but gives an interesting metric to compare trends.

DickBarton

Got the Garmin Scales…it doesn’t do anything with Fenix…it connects to your wifi and uploads the stats it collects to your Garmin Connect account.

I like it but I’m needing to stop weighing myself every day – I appear to have large weight fluctuations (weighed about same time every day)…so I’m going to go back to once a week.

tomnavman
    Free Member

I’ve got the original (previous generation) Garmin scales, had them since 2016 and very pleased with them and the new ones look like a good upgrade, but not enough for me to want to change until my set fails. As has been said already, both me and my partner are set up on them and it accurately guesses between us every day.

The only thing I would love to change is having Garmin weight sync to Zwift – there are meant to be work arounds with Garmin -> fitbit -> Zwift but I’ve never got that working, so I just manually update Zwift when my weight changes significantly.

haloric
    Free Member

I have had the Withings scales for several years, they are great.

I like it but I’m needing to stop weighing myself every day – I appear to have large weight fluctuations (weighed about same time every day)…so I’m going to go back to once a week.

I don’t follow this ? If your measured weight varies more than a reasonable amount over 7 daily readings (either due to the weight or dodgy scales) how will only looking at one of those dodgy readings help you get a better picture of what your real weight is ?

Best thing to do is to cover the bit that displays the actual figures on the scale, weigh frequently and only look at the graph on withings/garmin to determine what the true trend is ?

Haze

We have a Withings, uploads to TrainingPeaks but won’t work with Connect.

If I was to buy again I’d be looking at the Garmin as I’m kind of committed (Edge and soon to be Fenix).

Which I guess is what Garmin want and why the Withings won’t work…

Aidy
    Free Member

Got the Garmin Scales…it doesn’t do anything with Fenix…it connects to your wifi and uploads the stats it collects to your Garmin Connect account.

Yes, but then the Fenix will sync the weight from Connect.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, best way to weigh yourself is to weigh daily, then add all 7 readings up at the end of the week then divide by 7 to give a weekly average.

Or use a measuring tape.

dissonance

Which I guess is what Garmin want and why the Withings won’t work…

You can or could anyway use myfitnesspal for the weight only to sit in the middle to sync them. Was a bit flaky but did work.

jon_n
    Free Member

I have a set of the Withings ones – although I’m a Garmin user I went with these over the Garmin ones because their v1 scales apparently had firmware and wifi issues, and the newer ones weren’t out.

The withings ones have been very good – support multiple profiles and their app is fairly good for tracking data. They will sync weight into Garmin connect via MyFitnesspal which works well most of the time – but it’s just weight, none of the body composition stats. It will also push weight into Strava, which should then push it to Zwift but that can be a bit flaky.

Buying today, if it looked like the issues had been fixed with the new Garmin scales, I’d probably choose those.

DrP

To be honest i am a bit of a data freak and want something that connects to garmin connect and works together with fenix 6. Basically something that i can weigh myself in the morning and will automatically upload to garmin connect.

It’s like looking into a mirror! I love data and stats!

I’ve got the garmin scales and they are great… the newer one looks even cooler!
    I like the fact you step on it, and it uploads to connect for both a weight trend, but also FTP/kg and other variables (garmin calorie burn etc) is auto updated.

The trend is interesting.
    The fact I can gain nearly 2kg in a day, and lose 1.6kg overnight is interesting too!!!!

DrP

Haze

Cheers, maybe I’ll look at the MyFitnessPal option again for the Withings…seem to recall a few of issues last time

andybrad

Ive got the withings. They are basic but give you a little graph on the scales. It uploads to myfitnesspal that then syncs with garmin connect.

turboferret

Just realised that there is a new Garmin scale.  My comments were for the original which I’ve had for a few years now, I’m assuming unless Garmin have f*cked up, the new ones will be even better

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Conversely, I’d want to figure out why.

jimdubleyou

I like it but I’m needing to stop weighing myself every day – I appear to have large weight fluctuations (weighed about same time every day)…

Conversely, I’d want to figure out why.

Same…

Check your pee colour – is your hydration level causing the discrepancy?

molgrips
    Free Member

I lose 1kg every night with high regularity. Unless I am under-fuelled, then it’s about 0.5kg.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Scales or cheaper alternative’ is closed to new replies.