Garmin or strava error? How to fix.

Home Forum Bike Forum Garmin or strava error? How to fix.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Garmin or strava error? How to fix.
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Over a ten hour duration, it started the timer at 7am I only left the house at 10.30am so as result knocked average speed down to around 10mph from what should have been 15mph roughly not counting any small breaks.

Why did you turn it on 3 1/2 hrs before leaving? If you strted it when you left then it should show the right start time.
    Also do you use auto pause?
    Strava should show your moving average.
    There is a chance the it only holds 30 miles in the mapping cache?
    What does it look like in strava?
    As for distance again GPS will measure where (it thinks) you are strava will then snap you to roads/terrain etc. some roads/angles/elevations can cause the device to think you have moved further than you have.

kirky72

No I switched it on when I started the ride not 3 hours before.
    I don’t use auto pause.
    The average speed is normally accurate in strava it’s just for this ride as it thinks that the duration was three hours longer than actual.

It’s had no problems before with over 30 mile rides, my average ride length for the last few months maybe in the 50s not had a problem until this, hence why I think it’s a glitch that I would like to try and prevent or fix.

Strava showed 101 miles, correct elevation, average based over 10 hours, only elevation profile for the last 30 miles everything before that was flat lined. Only map and segments info for thirty miles.

This may show it better than my description, profile of ride with a pic of the Garmin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1180830599

Premier Icon orangespyderman
    Subscriber

Possible issue with the time being incorrect on teh device when it’s switched on and only re-syncing to GPS-time part way through? And also same with altimeter calibration? Export the file and look at the raw GPX, may tell you more?

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Did you enjoy the ride? If so just forget about what strava says you did. I’ve had whole rides fail to upload in the past but that didn’t change the fact that I’d ridden them.

kirky72

I knocked out a nice long route taking in some new to me parts on Tuesday, eventually clocked up 101 miles according to Garmin but suspected that whilst in navigation mode it stopped recording when I reached a destination and only starred again when stopped the navigation feature.

I rechecked my route on map my ride and indeed it had robbed 7 miles when converted to strava.

However that’s not my main gripe or issue, when checking strava it showed the following.

Over a ten hour duration, it started the timer at 7am I only left the house at 10.30am so as result knocked average speed down to around 10mph from what should have been 15mph roughly not counting any small breaks.

Only showed elevation profile for the last 30 miles but the total feet was roughly in the ball park.

Only showed the mapping for the last 30 miles with the start point 30 miles out from home, the finish at the right place but logged 101miles.

Segments only for the same 30 miles as mapped.

So I can’t explore the segment times or route that I took.

Garmin unit (810), shows the wrong start time even though the clock is correct, but the correct duration of 7 hours and more realistic average speed, will not show any course map just showing a zoomed out world map.

The unit wasn’t due any updates however I found that the memory card was 85% full.

Any suggestions how I may recover the correct information, what may have caused the glitch more importantly so I can prevent for future reference. Feedback appreciated.

Premier Icon orangespyderman
    Subscriber

Did you enjoy the ride? If so just forget about what strava says you did. I’ve had whole rides fail to upload in the past but that didn’t change the fact that I’d ridden them.

Don’t listen to this, it’s crazy talk. If it doesn’t exist on Strava it didn’t happen. The ride isn’t the most important part, the kudos is. 😆

The speed in Strava summary is your moving average, while segment speeds show an average including stops for puncture repairs etc.

My guess is GPS on device is wonky.

If elevation data is dodgy,on the Strava overview page, try clicking the elevation area up the top and taking up the offer of Strava correcting the data.

richardk

Sounds like it didn’t have a GPS fix when you first started, as per comment above.

legend

Probably best uploading the file to here and seeing what advice (or hopefully a fixed file) you get: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/cycling/edge-810-aa/38166-fit-file-corrupt-can-you-repair-it

jonba

A few options. First is ignore idiots. When I asked for help recently I got a few people saying it didn’t matter. NEver really understood why these people bother. I imagine they are the same people who comment on Di2 question suggesting cables or go around telling people they don’t like Facebook, CocaCola or anyother mainstream thing to appear edgy. /Rant

Someone suggested correcting the elevations.

You could try cropping a small amount off the start of the ride. On my Dakota it does wierd things and the first data point always seems to be the end of the previous record giving some wierd outputs.

Download the GPX and upload it to another site to see if Strava is having issues?

Alternatively some site let you upload fit files so you could have a look. Garmin do, naturally but I think bikehike does and ridewithgps.

But ultimately I think the answer to your question might be “because Garmin”. They sometimes screw up.

whitestone

I turn the unit on a few minutes prior to setting off on a ride so that it’s got time to acquire satellites, have a cup of tea, etc.

I’ve had a couple of rides where things have gone a bit awry – stuff like a constant speed up and down hill for the last 10Km of the ride, you couldn’t even drive that accurately.

Occasionally things do go wrong, so long as it’s not every ride I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Jonba – if the primary reason you go for a ride is to put it on strava then yes “it matters” but if thats not the case then surely there are plenty of other things to worry about. I’m sure pretty much every strava user has lost a ride at some point and lived to tell the tale. If it’s a regular thing that’s a different issue.

For the op I noticed your garmin was showing 3 laps on the photo on strava – does the portion uploaded correspond to the last lap? Id try grabbing the Gpx from the garmin and checking the data in there using something else (Google earth) , or try uploading to garmin connect to see what that says, then sync that with strava if it’s worth it.

kirky72

Thanks for the help fellas.

I originally uploaded via Garmin connect as I always do, just quicker via my mobile app. However I also tried uploading directly but alas the same info so it’s squiffy on the unit.

I completely reset the device last night and then Just back from a ride which I cut into two to provide two more tests and all looks well.
    I hear the People who say stravas not critical, Just get out and ride, I did ride for plenty of years before strava and would continue to do so without it, I just prefer to log my rides. once you start logging and analysing to any degree along with using your route to plot further variants and extensions it’s anoying when it’s not properly recorded especially in the case of being one of my longest rides to date.

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

Sounds like it hasn’t had a gps time fix at the start of the ride. 810s rely on gps time sync as there’s no manual way to adjust. Had you taken it abroad recently?

To fix it is pretty difficult. You could export the gpx trace and then crack it open in excel, adjust the time manually (it’s in UTC), save (this will be the real arsey bit) and reload.

Personally (and I fettle large GPX files as part of my own business), I’d put it down to experience and move on.

timba

You’ve reset the unit, hopefully that’ll sort any corrupted settings
    I put mine outside while I get everything together so that it “finds” itself
    Once I’m ready to go I check that the elevation and time readings are about right (OS map should give you elevation) and reset the track and trip data

DickBarton

Go out a ride the route again…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.