Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin – maps to view routes?
  • alanl
    Free Member

I’ve finally come into the 21st Century and bought a Garmin Edge Touring Plus GPS thingy, not really to follow routes, but to see where I’ve been. I did a loop of Ae Forest on Tuesday, then downloaded the route onto my computer yesterday via the Garmin Basecamp App, but, when viewed on the screen, it shows as a loop, but with no features. I was expecting a OS style contour map overlay.

How do I get the detailed contour maps? Another map program, or pay for the extra maps from Garmin?

Thanks, Alan.

dawson

It’s a while since I’ve used Basecamp – is there a ‘layer’ that you can turn that will show contour lines?

Alternatively, I would pull the file from the Garmin then go to http://www.bikehike.co.uk and load the file there, as it will show your route on a traditional OS map

muggomagic

Sounds like it’s just showing the base map. Assuming that model of garmin comes with preloaded garmin topo maps then you may need to go into the activity profile settings, then navigation and select the map. If it doesn’t have the topo maps loaded they may be available for download via garmin express map manager.

If they aren’t available then there are ways to load third party maps to most garmin devices. I have trailforks maps loaded to my fenix 7x watch as the garmin european topo map pack would take up most of the available memory

Edit: I may have misunderstood the issue. If it’s viewing them post ride then I use Garmin Connect which has a few different map layers

ampthill

You could set up a free Strava account and then link that to your Garmin account. Your rides will then pop up on Strava.

I think the Strava base map has contours

andytherocketeer

I think Basecamp you need to buy maps for (sod that, when there’s so much free stuff), else you get a base map that’s basically useless.

It is probably Garmin Connect that you need, which tracks the activities, and lets you load courses etc on to the garmin. I think there’s a Windows/Mac app, as well as an app for the phone, and directly in the browser. That way you see either Google or OpenStreetMap maps, along with terrain view etc. Don’t think there’s OS map though (no use to me being outside UK).

There’s also Garmin Explore, but I have no idea what that is or does, since apparently my Etrex is not compatible. Maybe it’s for watches?

You can also link Garmin Connect to Strava etc. I think? (I have Polar watch too, and sync only that to Strava, and let Garmin Etrex only upload to Garmin Connect, else everything ends up duplicated).

nickjb
    Free Member

Download the route as a gpx then you can open in one of many, many apps or online with plenty of base map options. Or you can open it on your phone with Garmin explore

PJay
    Free Member

If you plug your Edge into the PC with a usb cable Basecamp will read the map file on the Edge, but it can be a bit slow.

If you set up a Garmin Connect account you can view you routes online using Google Maps, Here or Openstreet Maps layers (although I’m not sure whether any of these offer contours).

GPXSee is a gpx viewer (not editor/planner) for the PC that I sometimes use and one of the map layer options does show contours.

GPXSee – GPS log file viewer and analyzer

scotroutes

There are a few Openstreetmap variants you can use. I like this one…

https://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/europe

Just follow the install instructions for the UK area and then you can show it in Basecamp.

FWIW they normally update the UK section annually, around March. 

PJay
    Free Member

As it’s an Edge I’d expect it to include Garmin’s Cycle Map which is Open Street Map based (updates through Garmin Express).

scotroutes

If you plug your Edge into the PC with a usb cable Basecamp will read the map file on the Edge, but it can be a bit slow.

You can also copy the map file from the Edge onto a USB drive and just plug that into a spare port. Basecamp will just treat it as if the Edge was plugged in.

alanl
    Free Member

Thankyou all, some good suggestions there, I’ll be going through them all when I get 30 minutes spare.
    Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.