Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Garmin Turn By Turn issues
  • mashr

Anyone using this? In theory it’s a great way to create routes and use them without any cables. Unfortunately my first use resulted in it completely shitting itself with 50 yards of leaving the house, then whenever it should have shown instructions an empty black box just appeared accompanied with a lot (wwwaaayyyy more than usual turn by turn) of bleeping.

Anyone had better results, or should I just go back to dragging and dropping? This was on an 820 FWIW

igm

Works on my 820.

Make sure all the firmware is up to date.

mashr

Tried again recently (now wish I had a less specific thread title) with just loading the GPX file onto the 820 the old way (into the NewFiles folder). It barely did any better than through the app!

Anyone have any idea why a Strava Routes generated GPX might struggle? Will try the TCX version next, but the Garmin unit should be able to work fine as is. I could follow a line on a map but it was still very confused by turn-by-turn. This is the route if it helps anyone: https://www.strava.com/routes/19288190

zilog6128

I’d always thought a TCX contained it’s own turn-by-turn data (which is why I’ve always used that format) and GPX doesn’t (instead relying on the nav capabilities of the device to provide it as you’re riding).

mashr

It does, but the 820 is* smart enough to generate its own TBT data if you load in a GPX. What’s especially annoying is that I never had this issue doing the same sort of thing on my old 810

If using the built in App then it would be reasonable to think it would work all this out itself. Then again, it is Garmin soft/firmware we’re talking about here….

*in theory

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Turn By Turn issues’ is closed to new replies.