Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Garmin, iPhone and Bluetooth. STILL not friends after years.
  • Superficial
    Free Member

My iphone (5s) and Garmin Edge 510 used to have real problems syncing. Anyway, I hit upon a Garmin firmware that seemed to work so I left it alone. Last week I inadvertently updated the Garmin firmware and now the iphone and Garmin are no longer able to pair.

Seriously? This is not just teething troubles. Both devices are 3 years old. This is stupid.

Anyway, I realise my half-baked rant is unlikely to score highly so I shall turn the rant into a question. Anyone got any solutions to my bluetooth woes?!

ricky1
    Free Member

My mate has similar woes,he seems to have 2 accounts,one on the garmin and one on the phone,his wont sync neither,shows two separate accounts when he uploads,is this problem somewhat similar,any ideas what he could do to rectify?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Reading the comments on Google play it sounds like a crap update riddled with problems.. Is there no way to hard reset and install the earlier version?

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s the Garmin at fault. I’ve had loads of problems on Android, and now there’s a Windows Phone app, exactly the same problems. Loads of reports of bluetooth hassles on their forums too.

Loads of other bluetooth devices pair no problem.

Though recently found my 510 pairs more often than not but Garmin Connect claims it can’t see it, however if I hit upload on the 510 it syncs with Connect anyway.

Superficial
    Free Member

The iPhone is different to Android – the pairing is done in the system settings independently of the app.

But as far as I’m aware there’s no way to ‘roll back’ the app updates on iOS. The actual Garmin app was/is working fine before I updated the firmware on the Edge.

My problem is just that I go to pair both devices and they can’t “see” each other. Bloody useless.

Whilst I’m at it – why the bloody hell can’t the app sync with the phone when there’s no signal? My garage is in a wifi / 3g black hole, and (when it used to sync via bluetooth) always fails to sync. Why can’t it sync to the phone and upload when the phone gets signal?

prawny

Yep, mine was the same, up until about 2 weeks ago it was working perfectly, then at some point it packed up syncing automatically and the live track has stopped working all together. iphone’s are crap at background tasks.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Superficial – Member
    The iPhone is different to Android – the pairing is done in the system settings independently of the app.

iOS, Android and even Windows Phone all pair in the system settings. Without even installing the Garmin app I can pair the Edge on both Android and Windows. Or at least attempt to. That’s where the problem lies as half the time it won’t pair. It’s a long known issue and no resolution.

There’s then a second problem where the Edge has paired with the phone but the app can’t see it.

Whilst I’m at it – why the bloody hell can’t the app sync with the phone when there’s no signal?

The app relies on being online to work. The sync doesn’t sync to the device first and then to the server, it just syncs to the server and the app updates. As far as I can tell. So no signal, no sync.

The app is partly intended for live syncing basically, so it will update online as you ride. I’m not even going to go there as have read various issues about it where the ride data can be trashed on lost connection or it’s just plain unstable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Garmin, iPhone and Bluetooth. STILL not friends after years.’ is closed to new replies.