Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Garmin Instinct (Watch) & not pairing it with mobile
  • sirromj

Just got a Garmin Instinct, my first wearable activity/fitness tracker. I’m not keen on having it constantly paired with my mobile, I’d prefer that be kept to a minimum, preferably most of the time infact.

I plan to use it like my Edge 510, plug into PC, grab the .fit files, import into offline software and upload to Strava. Never used Garmin Connect. I’m not a full-fledged tinfoil hat wearer, but I do have a little one that I perch on my head from time to time 😉

Obviously that means I won’t get mobile notifications or weather reports, but what other functionality is impacted by not constantly paired?

Flaperon

You can do as you suggest but there is a certain irony in objecting to your watch’s radio link to your phone, when your phone is with you anyway…

You can access most statistics on the watch directly but the Garmin Connect app works well for uploading directly to Strava.

I also think that you’re putting too much faith in Garmin’s ability to write software up to the standard of slurping your personal details and emailing it to Microsoft or the NSA or whoever is responsible for chemtrails these days.

scotroutes

I also think that you’re putting too much faith in Garmin’s ability to write software up to the standard of slurping your personal details and emailing it to Microsoft or the NSA or whoever is responsible for chemtrails these days.

Aye – Strava do that for you anyway.

Pieface

IME re-pairing the Instinct wasn’t as painless as you’d hope.

nickc

but what other functionality is impacted by not constantly paired?

Constantly having to pair it. Good luck with that.

DrJ

I also think that you’re putting too much faith in Garmin’s ability to write software

Garmin software can just about type “Hello, world”. On a good day.

sirromj

re quality of Garmin software, that’s clearly what they want you to believe 😉

Anyway that wasn’t really the point of the thread.

irony in objecting to your watch’s radio link to your phone, when your phone is with you anyway…

Also that I probably should have spent my money on a new phone with a battery that lasts all day.

You can access most statistics on the watch directly but the Garmin Connect app works well for uploading directly to Strava.

I generally prefer to use my PC over my mobile anyway and also means I have the original fit files without having to download them which I can use in various other prices of desktop software.

I was thinking more along the lines of the continual fitness tracking rather than specific activity tracking.

I’ll guess I’ll find out anyway as I use it, but just wondered what others experience was. Even is it normal usage to have them continually paired?

thanks

nickc

My experience of Garmin devices is that if they’re not paired pretty routinely (at the very least once a week) they get very difficult to pair. You’ll need to delete it’s Bluetooth list of devices from the phone memory, go into the watch settings find your phone, delete that, at the very least, turn the phone on/off and start the whole process of adding a device.

scotroutes

My VivoActive and phone are constantly paired but I don’t have Alerts, Messages etc popping up on the watch. I just didn’t select those options. It only connects to Connect. It’s not even listed as a device in my phones Bluetooth settings.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What he said.

Pairing regularly? Bugger that.

lissotriton
    Free Member

I usually have Bluetooth turned off on my Instinct and my phone. Saves on battery etc.
    Just turn it on when I want to sync them. No need to pair them each time, they should connect automatically. Sometimes takes a few minutes for them to wake up, I just leave them alone while having a shower or whatever.

Or yes, you can just plug it into a computer, and copy the FIT files off. Works fine for the usual running and cycling etc.
    Though if you want the everyday data for steps or heart rate or sleep tracking, would need to sync with Garmin Connect. The watch should have plenty of memory for a few weeks of data, so you don’t need to sync too often.

I think Garmin Connect is handy as a free backup for all of my FIT files. I have it all set as private, with Strava syncing turned off. I can choose what I want to upload to Strava (after editing/cropping if necessary).

sirromj

Thanks @<span class=”bbp-author-name”>lissotriton</span> that was pretty much what I wanted to hear.

sadmadalan

I have a Vivoactive 3 paired with my watch. Can’t see any reason why not. Can’t be security, since my phone knows far more about me than my watch. I can set what alerts I want, so not interrupted. In terms of battery saving, it is GPS that really eats in the battery – normal 4 days between charging if just using it as a watch. No real impact on my phone battery, biggest user of power is the the screen.

Ever get the feeling that you are overthinking this?

jam-bo

just turn bluetooth off on your phone, it’ll have the same effect and if you are that tin hat, you probably have it off anyway…

oldtennisshoes

I can disconnect my Fenix 6 from my phone on the watch – no need to turn bluetooth off on the phone or have to go through the faff of re-paring it. I suspect you’ll be able to do similar on the instinct.

akira

Go into watch settings go to phone and disconnect.

lissotriton
    Free Member

Or hold down the light button for a second. Can switch off Bluetooth from that menu.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Instinct (Watch) & not pairing it with mobile’ is closed to new replies.