Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Garmin Instinct- pool swim accuracy ?
  • iainc

Used my Instinct for first time in pool today. A regular 1.5k swim in local 25m pool, so 60 lengths non stop. I started it when I got in the water, stopped when I finished last length, saved, and it has shown that I did 1950 metres… I had set pool length to 25m before going in.

What did I do wrong ?

iainc

and how do I get it to show in metres on Strava ? My ride settings are in miles… Does Strava allow different units for different activities ?

Edukator
    Free Member

What did I do wrong ?

Used some expensive technology that screws up the British balance of payments, provides a load of data to a nasty corporation… when you could have looked at the free pace clock now and then instead and got a really accurate idea of how you were going.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

Aye 😀

jam-bo

Or set the pool to 33m? 60 laps is 1980m

tuboflard

Did you vary your stroke or just stick to crawl? When I’ve done pool training sessions switching stroke or doing drills tend to throw my watch (a Suunto though). As I’m sure you probably know, it’s the accelerometer which detects you pushing off from the pool wall which denotes the start of a new length so I always make sure I do a bit of a glide to the wall then hard kick off just so the watch knows what it’s looking for.

ebygomm
    Free Member

People use a variety of swim trackers in the club I go to, normally the issue is undercounting though, overcounting is unusual.

crewlie

Strava only lets you stick to a universal set of units for all activities. I’m sure you used to be able to have distance in km and height in ft at one time but that seems to have gone (might have been my imagination anyway)
    Did it count the lengths correctly?

iainc

Thanks all, will have a play with it as must’ve done something weird in settings. Was front crawl the whole way and no rest periods.

Yeah, found some Strava forum that says it can’t do rides in miles and swims in metres..

oikeith

Was front crawl the whole way and no rest periods.

I used to find with my 920xt that if I slowed down during a length as I encourntered lane traffic it would sometimes count this as a length or when Id perform my next turn it wouldnt recognise it. I must have been doing something odd when slowing down but now when I encounter lane traffic I exaggerate my movements and have avoided this.

trail_rat
    Free Member

when you could have looked at the free pace clock now

I tried this for maximum smugness and found that when i got home and tried to retrospectively look at the data the police had arrested me for taking the pace clock off the wall and home with me

cchris2lou

My 910xt is the same. It adds the odd length.

teef
    Free Member

What did I do wrong ?

You miscounted and only really did 58 lengths?

zntrx
    Free Member

My 910xt is the same. It adds the odd length.

Same here. I use this site to fix the miscounts.

claudie

My instinct is also counting lengths incorrectly. Other than manually editing the activity, did anyone find a fix for this? Thanks

claudie

Just bumping this for the evening crowd

Caher

I use a swimovate poolmate and have done for a number of years now. It’s always dead accurate. Can be set to vibrate on laps, time or metres swam.

cchris2lou

Still using my 910xt, but I am more careful with lane traffic and breaks.
    I still get errors but only 1 or 2 lengths.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Instinct- pool swim accuracy ?’ is closed to new replies.