Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Garmin Forerunner
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Looking at these, I can see little meaningful difference between the £99 10 model and the £180 210 model (bar no HRM on former) – unless I am missing something?

I presume they would record a bike ride in terms of distance/speed, albeit they are not bike-specific?

ciron
    Free Member

I thought it was the way pace was done, but have not checked.

Anyway, the 210 is available for £114 on Handtec without the HRM. Good watch and works well for the bike. Can even be switched to show speed rather than pace.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just get a 310XT, Al.

cynic-al
    Free Member

…and…is there a cheap power meter that’s compatible with the higher end ones?

EDIT – ciron, sheers, I get them trade price.

Jamie – I don’t see it’s worth the £ for me.

Hanky

I’ve got a 310XT paid £157 from Amazon in December- well worth it.

Also got an older 305, newer one picks up signal quicker, waterproof etc. Good for most sports.

drslow
    Free Member

You can compare models Here. Main difference is the 10 cant link to accessories like HRM or foot pod. Ive just sprung for a 610 which (excluding HRM) is only £20 dearer than the 210 and is far superior. bike cadence sensor, wireless syncing, better training feature

sweaman2
    Free Member

DC rainmaker is your friend for some comparisons.

mcnultycop

My 410 was about £130 off Amazon with HRM

cynic-al
    Free Member

As I said, I get trade price, so I can get them cheaper than any retailer sells them.

As I also said, is there any reason why a running one wouldn’t record a bike ride?

Superficial
    Free Member

I believe the running- specific devices have a 3 second GPS sampling rate compared to 1s for the bike ones.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK DC says 110 gives average pace not real time and you get the premium HRM with the 210.

They also work ok on bikes (and planes etc!)

weeksy

The 110 gives segemtn average time, so isn’t quite the same as overall average.

The segments are split into either 1km or 1mile depending on how you’ve set it up. It’s quite useful but not as precise as a continual average i admit.

Sadly mine gave up the ghost after 18 months or so and Garmin wanted to potentially charge me to repair, it’s only the GPS side of things that’s failed. I’ve not got round to getting it repaired or replaced yet.

leffeboy

I seem to remember that the problem with some of them is that the ‘real’ pace can be very erratic due to arms moving, buildings etc. it’s worth taking a good read of the stuff on DC rainmaker (although I think you may have already)

toppers3933
    Free Member

I have a 910 but am irritated that it doesn’t function as a watch. Does eveything else i want like cadence and hrm etc but why the clock doesn’t come up when you turn the main functions off is beyond me. Probably going to sell it.

rockhopperbike

I am looking to get my self a new HRM- I’ve recently smashed my 305 forerunner when I had a OTB moment- It had been fine for 3 years on the bars!

Looking at a Ambit 2 – mounted in one of them top tube gel pouches- to hopefully protect it from another similar incident – Good thing about the Ambit is you can wear it as a normal (big ) watch

Dibbs
    Free Member

My daughter was given a 210 as a present by the parents of the kids she teaches but she’s really getting into her fitness now and thinks she’d be better off with a 610.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Forerunner’ is closed to new replies.