Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin forerunner 305
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Was considering picking one up for ride tracking, HRM, cadence and speed. Anyone used one?

wwaswas

I’ve got the bike specific version (Edge) and it’s great.

Running one has a smaller screen so not so much info whilst you’re ridign but obviously better if you run too.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

I’ve got the Forerunner 205, use it for both running and cycling. If you have 4 bits of data on the screen for cycling the screen size is a bit small but not too bad. The virtual partner is a great feature that I have just started to use, it gives you a profile of a previously recorded course, you can tell where you are on the road in relation to when you rode it before i.e. ahead or behind.

simon_g

Yes, but I’ve never used the HRM bit nor do I have a cadence tracking thing. I mainly use it as a bike computer I can strap to the bars of whichever bike I’m using and log the rides I do. Sometimes I use it for navigation – either plan out a route on the computer or take someone else’s, upload it to the device and have an arrow on a black line to follow. If you’re navigating then it’s a bit of a faff to switch back and forth between the other speed/distance screens though. The data screens themselves can be set up with whichever fields you like, and between one and four fields per screen depending on what you want to see and how big.

You can get a specific bike mount, but I just chopped an old grip along it’s length, then into three bits and stuck them together.

Works great for both tracking and navigating uses, and for tracking my runs too. Have logged a whole day’s Rat Race and the ride home (about 9 hours worth) and still had battery to spare.

wwaswas

I’d say cadence is useless for off-road ridign but HR is quite interesting and if you try and do trainign then ‘zones’ would be useful.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I use one that I use for cycling and running, although mostly the former. I’ve found it excellent, especially at the £100 or so Amazon are knocking them out for. I also bought a pile of cheap bike mounts (also via Amazon from mountguys) which were just a few quid each.

I got one of the bike cadence sensors via Ebay and that works well, as does the shoe mounted cadence sensor for when you’re running on a treadmill.

I find the HR info particularily useful as it helps me pace myself on climbs and also push myself when on the road bike.

atlaz
    Free Member

The cadence is for the road bike really. Sounds like a decent device then

rugbydick

I’ve got one that I use for running and cycling.

The cadence sensor stays on my road bike though.

The virtual training partner is a great feature, but mostly for road training rides and running.

Much of the time when I’m mtb-ing I don’t even bother with the heart rate strap and just use the unit to track where I’ve been.
    (So I can bore the wife with metres climbed, etc when I get home!)

As above, don’t get the Garmin bar mount though.
    It’s 10 quid for a piece of branded rubber. Go to a DIY store and get a small length of foam pipe insulation instead. Works just the same but for pennies.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Best gadget I’ve ever bought.

Had it about a year and still learning new features. I use it for training proposes biking/running. To start with it was very motivation, I just wanted to get out and get new activities in it, to up load. Now it great see what I’ve done over the week/month… over 11 hours training last week (get in… its normally about 4)

I paid about £150 and would buy one tomorrow if I lost it (in fact Id upgrade and the the water proof 310XT, i think its called)

cp

another one here – they are superb, and at £100 they are an absolute steal. So powerful for (relatively) so little money!

DaveRambo

I’ve got one with HRM and just fitted the cadence sensor to the road bike. Got bike mounts which are fine and a wrist strap as well – the unit just clips into either.

Slightly bulky but never bothered me.

Loads of bits to play with – I like the virtual training partner.
    Decent battery life a bit slow on initial satellite location but I just turn it on as I’m getting ready and it’s not been an issue.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin forerunner 305’ is closed to new replies.