Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Garmin Fenix 6X
  • ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I’m considering getting a Fenix 6X Pro watch. On the bike, I have an Edge 810. The Fenix does everything I need but the only thing I’m not sure about is the mapping.

Sometimes I will load a route into the Edge to follow.

Does the Fenix do this?

ta11pau1

Yes you can load routes and follow them on the 6x pro – only the pro has maps though.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Just picked up a 6 Pro and the mapping looks quite usable but very clunky if you want to pan/zoom on the map, currently looking at the options for loading other maps that are better suited to mtb.

Also the the regular 6 pro is pretty hefty, deffo wouldn’t want to go any bigger.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Personal experience tells me the mapping – whilst entirely functional – isn’t much use. The screen lacks the size to really give any usable view – it’s either too small an area or hasn’t enough definition.
    I found it a bit frustrating so just use a bread crumb type tail with no map, that works for me and its available on much lower spec watches (which are also not about the size of a small car)

nickjb
    Free Member

Its very easy to upload routes to follow using the phone app. I find the maps alright for following a pre-set route. It isn’t that clear as standard but I’ve customised the colours and the route is much easier to see. Its no 7″ phone screen but it OK. You get prompts at junctions and a guide to get back on track if you are off. If you are way off its a bit flaky, though. Its a bit hard to pan and zoom using the buttons if you want to look around. Pan/zoom is apparently much better on the 7 with its touchscreen

DickBarton

Map is handy to have but I’ve never really used it other than a quick glance. I’ve never worked out if I can scroll the map and have no idea how to do that on the watch – suspect it isn’t intended to used like that though.

I’ve the 6 Pro, mate has the 6x Pro – I’ve thin wrists and the 6 Pro looks large, the X looks far larger even though it is only a few mm larger overall. He got it as he needed a larger screen for his dodgy eyes and it does appear to be a much clearer screen, but the font is larger which suggests my eyes are starting to fail as well!!!

Aidy
    Free Member

I find navigation on a 6 Pro to be okay. If I really don’t know where I’m going (rather than I need a few prompts), then a dedicated unit is much better, but I’ve used it fairly successfully to navigate around unfamiliar places on city bikes.

nickjb
    Free Member

For me the watch is mostly for the recording and stats but the navigation is a little bonus. It works OK following a line but if actually get lost then I’ll stop, pull my phone out and look at an OS map on the big screen. It does work really well for running though

You do need good eyes. My are going now with age and it is a bit tricky without reading glasses. The watch is nicely customisable so I’ve put some more contrasting colours on and a bolder font to make it more useable.

I’ve never worked out if I can scroll the map and have no idea how to do that on the watch

long press on menu, then you can choose pan or zoom, then use the up/down buttons. Its not very nice use but is there in an emergency to get you back on track. The 7 has a touchscreen and this function is supposedly much better, but not enough for me to buy one

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Thanks for the info!

I think I will go with the 6 Pro instead of the X. The 7 is a bit too spendy for me.

dannybgoode

I have the 6X Pro and find the maps useful and very useable. I have planned long walks and rides on Komoot, loaded them into the watch and bingo, off I go. Not got lost yet and find the resolution and detail on the slightly larger screen the 6X has over the normal 6 just gives it the edge.

Very happy with mine and would just about rely on it over paper maps…

jamesfts
    Free Member

Garmin 6 Pro and 6x Pro are current £315/£330 on Amazon which seems a good price.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

@jamesfts I noticed that earlier in the week. Now I’ve got the cash, they’ve gone backup to £380 for the 6 Pro and it doesn’t say it’s new . Just my luck.

johnnystorm

@chuckmorris

I’ve had two “renewed” Garmins from Amazon, and apart from simpler branded packaging both have had all the bits, paperwork and have looked absolutely brand new.

ta11pau1

It probably won’t be long until the next deal on the fenix 6, keep an eye here and set an alert

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07VZZ3GW5?context=search

lunge

My 6x arrived today and has promptly been sent back. I’m sure it’s great but it’s HUGE. Not just in diameter but also in thickness. Too big for me.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

@ta11pau1 – I didn’t know you could do that. Thanks!

@lunge
    – Are you going to change it for a normal 47mm? How much did you pay?

Do people wear these watches all the time?

mikertroid
    Free Member

@chuckmorris

I have a 47mm F7 and it’s on pretty much all the time unless I’m on a date nite!

I had a full size F3 a few years ago and that was mahoosive on my skinny wrists.

lunge

@ChuckMorris, I pad £280 ish I think, it was a refurbished unit on Amazon.
    Not sure what to buy instead, maybe a Forerunner 955.
    I don’t wear mine all the time, just for running and general outdoor usage. It was too big even for that.

ta11pau1

The forerunner series are much lighter due to being made from plastic rather than metal, and you’ve got size options with the 255 and 255s.

ta11pau1

Had a catch-up with some friends last night, one of who had a fenix 6 so I tried it on – yeah it’s a chunky bigger isn’t it! The weight compared to my forerunner 245 was very noticeable – the size I could probably get used to though. The 6x would be even worse…

intheborders
    Free Member

I bought a s/h 6 via a pal of a pal recently, it doesn’t have maps but my pal’s 6 Pro does. I’ve also an 820 with OS maps.

Maybe you could follow the 6 Pro maps if you were road riding, wouldn’t like to try for anything else and even then I’d need my reading glasses…

No way near as good as the OS maps on my 820, but, I like the 6 for what it does, records everything and has a brilliant battery. I pretty much use the phone app for any form of review or analysis.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.