Garmin Fenix 3 HR Altimeter sensor kaput, out of warranty :(

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Garmin Fenix 3 HR Altimeter sensor kaput, out of warranty :(
  • Premier Icon walowiz
    Subscriber

first off this is not meant to be a Garmin bashing.

I’ve really enjoyed the Fenix 3 HR Sapphire, used for swimming, running, mtbing mainly and for over 2 years its worked brilliantly, particularly like the way it records my swimming sessions pretty accurately.

All going well until a few weeks ago, no elevation recorded, quick trawl of the net and clean out sensor, re calibrate. Repeat this a few times and still no elevation. Ring Garmin support, run through the test and oh yes it is showing some screwy results, thinks I’m currently 100m below sea level.

Watch is out of warranty, by 6 months or so.
    So there is no repair option from Garmin, only £120 to supply a refurb unit with a 90 day warranty. Which I can do, but was looking at the new Forerunner 945, but am loath to blow approx £5-600 for a watch that is likely to fail in 2-3 years time.

So anyone been know if it’s possible to fix the altimeter sensor on a Fenix 3 ?

Or suggest an alternative to Garmin smart watches like the forerunner, Fenix 5 plus etc ?

scotroutes

Send it to Garmin. You’ll likely get a new model in exchange. Their support is very good.

Premier Icon walowiz
    Subscriber

Send it to Garmin. You’ll likely get a new model in exchange. Their support is very good.

already spoken to them, as it was bought through Evans and is 2.5 years old, I can only have a “refurbished to as new” Fenix 3 HR Sapphire, with a 90 day warranty.

No “new model in exchange”, which is a shame – but the warranty is 2 years so understandable.

I’m not that keen on a refurb replacement with a month and a half warranty.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

I’ve a refurbished Vivoactice HR+ as a replacement with a months warranty. Still going strong a year later its better than having a broken one. It was a free replacement for me though.

ads678

Fenix 5’s where selling for about £300 a fee weeks ago.

macdubh

I’ve a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and my heart rate sensor failed. Garmin support wanted £120 to replace but as it was just over 2 years old i grudged paying it and bought a £30 strap. I did all the reset / diagnostic stuff to no avail, then one day it started working again. i think it was related to the upgrade to 5.4 but i cant be certain. Are you on the latest software?

Premier Icon walowiz
    Subscriber

I’ve a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and my heart rate sensor failed. Garmin support wanted £120 to replace but as it was just over 2 years old i grudged paying it and bought a £30 strap. I did all the reset / diagnostic stuff to no avail, then one day it started working again. i think it was related to the upgrade to 5.4 but i cant be certain. Are you on the latest software?

interesting, my Fenix 3 is on software version 5.40

macdubh

Have you left it running overnight to drain the battery? I did resets, draining battery and software updates and while after each one it didn’t appear to work, like i said it did start working within a few days. Still going 6 months later.

Premier Icon walowiz
    Subscriber

Have you left it running overnight to drain the battery? I did resets, draining battery and software updates and while after each one it didn’t appear to work, like i said it did start working within a few days. Still going 6 months later.

Nope, but will give that a go, in the absence of any better options.

(I do begrudge paying Garmin £140 for a refurb watch after 2 years use.)

Flaperon

Get a Suunto and send a copy of the receipt to Garmin. As big companies go Garmin is definitely one of the worst when it comes to customer service.

Although might be worth putting pressure on Evans as you’d expect a £500 watch to last longer than a couple of years.

Credit card company potentially also liable in this case.

CraigW

Ignore the altimeter, and just enable elevation corrections on Strava etc?

Or the Garmin Instinct is good value, it would be an upgrade on the Fenix 3 anyway.

scotroutes

As big companies go Garmin is definitely one of the worst when it comes to customer service.

Everything I’ve heard/experienced is contrary to this.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

As big companies go Garmin is definitely one of the worst when it comes to customer service.

Why do you say that? They’re one of the better companies I’ve experienced… And most of what I’ve seen online is generally positive about their service.

Flaperon

I used to own loads of Garmin stuff but crap support and an apathetic approach to software updates kind of sealed it.

I experienced problems with a Forerunner 735XT which wouldn’t measure heart rate properly. They insisted it was me – eventually Cotswold took sympathy and replaced it.

They also refused point blank to supply a replacement Varia radar display unit, saying the only way to get one is to buy a whole new radar kit. Even my LBS gave up on the issue after a 3-way negotiation between Garmin and the distributor.

They do make some good stuff – the GPSmap 64 and Inreach Mini is brilliant. And I like my 735XT now it works. But for all bike stuff I use Wahoo and don’t regret it one bit.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yeah Garnin are renowned for poor customer service.

Garmin customer service.

Premier Icon walowiz
    Subscriber

Ignore the altimeter, and just enable elevation corrections on Strava etc?

Or the Garmin Instinct is good value, it would be an upgrade on the Fenix 3 anyway.

I tried that , but Strava took ages to process the request and never created any elevation. Not a problem for my commute rides, but when out on the trails I do need to see the elevation, as it’s quite a buzz to know I’ve climbed 1000 ft etc.

I’ll give it another go and see.

Premier Icon walowiz
    Subscriber

Get a Suunto and send a copy of the receipt to Garmin. As big companies go Garmin is definitely one of the worst when it comes to customer service.
    Although might be worth putting pressure on Evans as you’d expect a £500 watch to last longer than a couple of years.
    Credit card company potentially also liable in this case.

I’ll contact Evans (Sports Direct) and see what they are willing / able to do.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

“Satisfactory quality,” Consumer Rights Act.

Premier Icon walowiz
    Subscriber

“Satisfactory quality,” Consumer Rights Act.

rung Evans, no dice, “warranty is with Garmin”, etc.

Sod it, looks like I will have to get the refurb unit to stick with Garmin, or look at alternatives.

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

Your contract is with Evans whomever the warranty is with and your consumer rights are with Evans too.

Whether Evans are still the company you bought from and whether those rights mean that they will sort you out are different questions.

As big companies go Garmin is definitely one of the worst when it comes to customer service

I agree with Scotroutes, though what I would say is that garmin seem to operate a kind of mirror images customer service, if you’re a decent sort and ask nicely, they’re great.

If ye act like an entitled bawbag, well……

They’ve replaced 2 products for me now, both out of warranty, both times for free and with brand new in the box products.

macdubh

fēnix 3 is the uncompromising GPS sport watch designed for demanding athletes and outdoor adventurers. Adding Elevate™ wrist heart rate3 to this powerful watch makes it ready for action and competition at any time.

It introduces a tough athletic design with quality materials and smart features.

Serious Style That Stands Up to the Roughest Conditions

These are some of the quotes from the Garmin website about the Fenix 3 HR. Mine lasted just over two years and seems there are similar stories of failures quite early in the life of the watch. If your going to promote a tough watch to use in the roughest conditions i expect it to last longer, or at least backed up with like for like replacement within a longer time frame than 2 years.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

if you’re a decent sort and ask nicely, they’re great

Yeah possibly that as mine was picked up by Garmin UK on twitter by me saying how sad I was it had died sitting in a hot tub after doing ultra hikes.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

rung Evans, no dice, “warranty is with Garmin”, etc.

A warranty is something which is offered in addition to the CRA, not instead of it.

As I’ve said before, I’ve had good mileage from “could you please confirm that you’re refusing to honour my statutory rights?” Though, my past experience with Evans’ customer service is why I no longer buy anything more expensive than an inner tube from Evans.

Don’t suppose you bought it on a credit card?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.