Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin Edge question from a numpty…
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

Hi, I’m not getting any joy from the Garmin manual so I’m hoping someone can shed a little light on my problem. I have a Garmin Edge Explore and having selected a circular route, hit “Ride” and hit the start button, off I go thinking my ride is being logged. But halfway through my ride, I notice that the thin blue line is acting like a rubber band. Seemingly tied to the start location and attached to my current location on the ride route! Then I notice the mileage isn’t being recorded. This isn’t the first time it’s happened. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong? Yes, I know I’m a numpty, so flame away…and thanks in advance!

badgerbater
    Free Member

First Post disappeared, so I’m bumping this one in the hope that it posts properly!

fossy

I tend to plot my routes first, and make sure the start/finished is a little appart.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pistonbroke
    Free Member

You have to press the physical button on the bottom right of the unit to start recording your ride, should start the distance recorder.

imnotverygood

^ Wot he said: ‘Ride’ just means calculate the route. To record the ride you have to hit the start button.

StirlingCrispin

You can set up an auto-start prompt for if you forget to press start,

Also useful if you turn the recording off mid-ride with your knee.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Hi all, As posted, after selecting Ride I’ve hit the start button but clearly this has not “started” recording the ride. This is the point of my post, what am I doing or not doing to end up with the GPS not following the route (which it is) and recording the ride?

pembo6
    Free Member

This is of no use to you….. but I’ve had exactly the same thing happen. The one time I tried to follow a route, i selected it, hit the normal start button and just started riding. A while later I looked at the screen and had same issue as you. ANd it didnt record the ride.

pembo6
    Free Member

The problem with the Auto-start or prompt function is that you have to remember to turn the Garmin on in the first place . Somthing I often forget to do. 🙁

cogglepin

Might be relevant, might not, I started a thread about it a while back. Garmin edge 1000, logs rides fine, mapping great but would it follow a route would it bollocks, just kept crashing or giving me wrong turn instructions. Tried factory reset etc with no joy. Two telephone conversations with Garmin they asked me to hook it up to a laptop and they would send me a link to send a zip file to so they could assess the problem. I don’t own a laptop only an iPad so that was a no go, they offered me a replacement for 200 quid which I declined.
    So here’s how I sorted it ( through luck really ). I was using an OS 1:25000 map which I purchased from eBay but I also had a Talky Toaster SIM card which I replaced the OS one with. It now works perfect, turn by turn navigation, never missed a beat since.
    When I have some spare time I’m going to put the OS card back in just to prove it was this. HTH.

singlespeedstu

You’ve not got it set to navigate to start of route have you?
    I made this mistake with an Edge 800.
    It just constantly tries to send you back to the beginning via a straight line.

sowler
    Free Member

New Garmin edge user here and I have some long days planned coming up. I tend to use my watch to ‘record’ rides. Can the Edge (Explorer in my case) just provide route navigation without it ‘recording’ the ride. I’m just thinking of this from a saving battery standpoint.

imnotverygood

Yes it can, but I’m not sure how much extra battery life it would give you.
    Back to the OP. If you are hitting the start button & it’s not recording the ride then the unit has a fault.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge question from a numpty…’ is closed to new replies.