Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Garmin Edge 800 – worth the upgrade?
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Have an Edge 705 at the mo – had a play this weekend with a friends Edge 800 and the mapping is far superior and user friendly compared to the Edge 705.

I know the 810 has replaced the 800, but I’m looking to sell the 705 and spend as little as possible to get an upgrade replacement – so 800 2nd hand is probably going to be the best bet.

Is it worth the upgrade, or are their better budget options out there?

Key features for me are ANT+ cadence and on road routing (from a GPX/TCX file – the Etrex 30 has tight limitations on road routing and waypoints so not suitable for me!)

riddoch

Yes. Might also be worth considering the mio equivalent as they were cheaper and food routing I think. The Bryton rider 50 might also be an option. For following routes is was fine I don’t remember if it was able to do routing on the fly like the edge 800.

nemesis
    Free Member

I had a 605 and upgraded to the 800 when it was cheap on amazon.

Is the upgrade worth it? Depends? The OS mapping is definitely better than you’ll get on the 705 but the resolution at the standard 50k OS maps isn’t as sharp as I’d like when the scale is set to 300ft which is what I used most of the time on the 605. As such, I end up using it at 800ft which isn’t ideal for me.

I also preferred the talky toaster OSM mapping on the 605.

I don’t use any of the ANT functionality, etc.

I don’t think I’d go back to the 605 but I would say that it was only just worth it for me. YMMV.

njee20
    Free Member

I went from a 705 to a 1000, and that was well worth it, not sure I’d bother with the 800 myself, I’d just keep the 705.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 800 – worth the upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.