Garmin Edge 800 – using the cadence but not speed sensor

Home Forum Bike Forum Garmin Edge 800 – using the cadence but not speed sensor

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Garmin Edge 800 – using the cadence but not speed sensor
  • Premier Icon composite
    Subscriber

I’m thinking of getting a Garmin Edge 800. I’m interested in geeking over stats so I was going to go for the heart rate/cadence bundle. It will certainly fit on my hardtail fine but I’m not 100% sure that my full suss is shaped right so that you could get the sensor in a place to read both speed and cadence. It just looks like it will be a bit touch and go if it will work.

So first question: Is any one using the cadence and speed sensor on a Five?

Second question: I know that speed can be detected via the GPS alone, but normally that setup would mean there being no sensor at all. I’m worried that the sensor will override the speed detection on the GPS and register as zero because there is no magnet going past the sensor. Anyone using it to just read cadence in this sort of setup?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I have got the cadence running without speed while I was trying to set it up on my road bike. It was harder to get the crank sensor close enough as the speed one can be angled out. Though not as convinced about the out of line wheel issues.

Premier Icon composite
    Subscriber

Brilliant that’s what I wanted to hear, thanks.

How close does the sensor need to be to the crank arm sensor?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Mine is spaced to 3/4mm (currently a turbo setup with inner tubes so need to sort it for outdoor use)
    TBH I’d fit the speed one up as it’s only a magnet and give it a go.

jota180

I’ve lost the magnet off mine and it never even stuttered when it (obviously) switched to GPS only

CraigW

You could get a cadence only sensor if you wanted. Its a bit neater and cheaper than the combined sensor. eg this one from Bontrager: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/standard-digital-cadence-sensor-ec021207

richardk

The speed sensor is good for tight switchbacks where the GPS reading every 3 seconds may miss small parts of the trail. Never tried to measure this to see if it makes a difference or not…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/garmin-cadencespeed-sensor-on-orange-5

Haze

8mm neodymium magnets, cheap as anything off ebay.

Drop one on the inside of your pedal, no zip tie needed. Nice and neat and going nowhere, sensor will have no problem picking it up.

Premier Icon composite
    Subscriber

So you just those instead of the ones that come with it? Excuse my ignorance.

I guess they are 1mm thick ones like these?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Neodymium-Magnets-8×1-mm-Good-Quality-N40-Grade-Craft-Fridge-Magic-8mm-x-1mm-/150978879453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23270adfdd

Premier Icon composite
    Subscriber

richardk – Member

The speed sensor is good for tight switchbacks where the GPS reading every 3 seconds may miss small parts of the trail. Never tried to measure this to see if it makes a difference or not…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/garmin-cadencespeed-sensor-on-orange-5

I have borrowed my girl friends Fore Runner 205 a bunch of times and it has picked up switch backs when looking at the map afterwards and the GPS speedo has been good enough.

Thanks for the link… the bloody search on this forum is completely useless.

Must remember to go back to using Google site specific search. 😳

Haze

I bought a pack of 10, 5mm thick each…the first one sat just inside the hexagon, the sensor wouldn’t pick it up. Dropped another on top and it’s fine.

Yes they replace the included magnet.

Premier Icon composite
    Subscriber

Thanks Haze. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 800 – using the cadence but not speed sensor’ is closed to new replies.