Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin edge 800 – race against training help
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so i basically want to do a route i did yesterday, and see if i can beat the time – i pushed it pretty hard, and want to know if i can do it faster!

how do i go about this on the edge800? i dont want to set speeds etc, i literally want to ghost against the ride i did?? is this even possible?

mudshark
    Free Member

Don’t know how to do that though you can set the pacer to your average speed frmo yesterday. BTW, check out Strava on the web for uploading GPS data to, I think you’ll love it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i have the route already saved on the gps itself, so is there a way of using that data/route on the gps, and gosting it against the same ride but starting fresh?

i know i can just compare after by connect etc, but wanted it to tell me if im minutes behind/in front etc??

uplink
    Free Member

You certainly can in other models

Just set the virtual partner to whatever pace/av speed you need to maintain and it’ll display your status as you go

or more what you’re looking for

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=21837

Coleman
    Free Member

Have a look at pages 9 & 10 in the manual;

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge_800_OM_EN.pdf

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers for the links – sort of makes sense, but why do you have to set the speed at the top?? if your following a saved route doesnt that speed at the top change as per your previous ride you are following?

njee20
    Free Member

On the 705 you just save it as a course, and it will automatically overlay your previous ride (assuming virtual partner is turned on). Good fun, do it on my commute a lot, useful for TTs as well.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so as long as i just load the previous ride of my choice, the virtual partner runs it at the speeds i was riding previously? i dont need to set up speeds etc?

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, not on the 705 at least, can’t imagine the 800 is much different. It shows the 2 ‘dots’ on the map as well, so you can see physically that ‘you’ are just over the next hill, or whatever!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thats exactly what i want! it would be cool to race against the exact ride yesterday – more so as the ride yesterday encountered no problems so i was pretty much at full speed all the way! so now i just want to go and compete against it before the muddy weather etc kicks in….

ill take a look at it tonight then! cheers!

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah I really like it, it’s weird how much it can vary I find, some days I think I’m struggling, but actually beat my ‘benchmark’ other days feel good and go slowly! Average speed tells you the same thing, but it’s nice to know during the ride. Good for work – I know if I’ll be late or not!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin edge 800 – race against training help’ is closed to new replies.