Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Garmin Edge 530 basic questions
  • coconut
    Free Member

I ordered a Garmin Edge 530 yesterday in the Amazon sale. Do I need to subscibe to an App and pay for GPX files ? or are GPX files readily available for free tp download ? I only want the device for navigating long XC/trail off road routes, Sustrans routes and some use navigating from a starting point to end point (like google maps).

Few questions:

– Where is best to download free GPX files ?
    – Can you change the starting point on a route easily i.e. “The Badger Divide” route GPX files are all Inverness to Glasgow, can it easily be changed to start in Glasgow ?
    – What’s the best way to set up the device so it pretty much only does navigation ? I have no interest in heart rate monitor, calories burnt etc..

si77

The Garmin Connect app is free and does most of what you want it to do. Plenty of websites available where you can download GPX for free, amend routes (including start-point, direction etc). Some demand a subscription, but most are free for basic features and you only have to pay for advanced options.

If you don’t wear a heartrate monitor then it won’t measure heartrate. If you don’t tell it how much you weigh then it won’t be able to calculate calorie consumption. Just load the gpx and tell it to start navigation or navigate to the start of the route. Just ignore the stats that you’re not interested in.

coconut
    Free Member

Thanks si77 – Any sites you recommend for downloading routes ?

si77

Any sites you recommend for downloading routes ?

https://singletrackworld.com/download-category/gpx/

komoot

ridewithgps

but there are loads of others that I’m sure people will be along to recommend

bikehike.co.uk is good for planning your own routes from scratch

butcher

Gpx files… Strava (I think you need a premium account), RideWithGps, Komoot (not sure if you need subscription). They’d be the obvious ones.

si77

On the 530 you can configure the display to just show parameters that you’re interested in, e.g. distance, speed, elevation etc, or just leave it on the map page. Scrolling through the display pages is easy. You may want to turn off the climb feature as it switches to that by default during climbs and is a bit of a distraction from navigation.

chrisdw
    Free Member

You can modify an activity profile to show pretty much just the map.
    My 830 is set to show just the map on one page. Then a couple of basic metrics like time, distance elevation on the 2nd page. That’s it. They’re very customisable to what you want.

I always use RWGPS. Just the free version does everything I need. There’s loads of routes available on there and it’s about the easiest website I’ve used for making your own routes. You can get the IQ app on the Garmin too which makes it really easy to transfer over the routes.

RWGPS will reverse routes for you too. It gets a bit more complicated moving the start point of loops rather than point to point though. Unless anyone else knows an easy way of doing that?

mogrim

Wikiloc is also good for gpx.

You can set up different profiles which you can then use depending on your bike or style of riding. I’ve got one set up for road riding, with all that sensor detail you don’t want; another set to MTB without the powermeter stuff etc; and finally one I’ve called “Nav” which is bare-bones, just the information I need for navigation (time, distance, map, time of day etc). It’s a bit of a faff to set up initially but worth putting in the effort.

Haze

Another vote for RideWithGPS 👌

scotroutes

I’m almost exclusively using Komoot. I use it to plan my own routes or just search within it for suggestions. Either way, by linking Garmin Connect and Komoot, the routes can be synced to the 530 and loaded up there for following.

coconut
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I just downloaded the “Badger Divide route” on RidewithGPS, it’s stored on my Laptop as a “FIT” file. Can I unpack the Garmin device and link it to the laptop and then just drop FIT files onto the device ?

Haze

Download the RideWithGPS app from Connect IQ, run it on your 530 and login you should be able to pick any of your saved routes from there.

Sorry I can’t be more specific but it’s been a while since I’ve used it, it’s pretty straightforward though 👍

asbrooks

You don’t need a premium account to get gpx files from Strava. If you use the chrome browser there is a Strava gpx downloader plugin for free.

nickc

Can I unpack the Garmin device and link it to the laptop

There’s a couple of programmes you’ll need (thanks Garmin) you’ll need Explore first. I will bet money the 530 will want an update and that can only be done through Explore. Then (after the hour or so that’ll take) you need to get onto Connect. You can import files directly into Connect and set it to upload automatically to your 530.

Welcome to Garmin, the tech is quite good, the software that “suppprts” (and I use that word in the loosest possible way) is woeful

Don’t do anything with your 530 – like linking it with an app on your phone for instance, until you’ve checked (using Explore) that it’s up to date. The first use experience will not be a happy one if you don’t.

scotroutes

You mean Express, not Explore.

If you have Connect on your phone then there is no need to have Express or Connect on a PC to transfer routes, that’s just one option.

Of course you can also just transfer files over USB too.

nickc

Sorry yes, you’re right Express….Still need that to update the device though, can’t do that through Connect.

onewheelgood

Install Connect on your phone. Access connect.Garmin.com on your PC. You can import,  create, or edit GPX files on there. When you’re happy with a route, click ‘send to device’, and the next time your phone connects to the 530 the route will be loaded. Its all pretty straightforward.

scotroutes

Still need that to update the device though, can’t do that through Connect.

Are you sure? 😉

ta11pau1

You can create routes on the Garmin connect app too, fairly decent and simple to use.

I’ve got routes on there from connect, RWGPS, Komoot, Strava.

seriousrikk

There are loads of ways to get routes on the device, all of which are made a lot easier by following the initial setup in full. I skipped it on my first 530 and it was tedious to get it working smoothly until I reset it and did it again.

The full setup will
    – Install the app on your phone
    – connect to the 530 on bluetooth
    – set the 530 up to connect to your home wifi
    – update to the latest software

All of which make future use much easier. Once you have done those you can use the various apps in ConnectIq (such as ridewithgps or komoot) to easily transfer courses to your device. Or the easiest option is, on the garmin connect web portal, you can import a GPX file and it will sync automatically to your device.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve used https://www.alltrails.com/

This plugin for Chrome to get stuff from Strava https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/strava-gpx-downloader/pnglhfabfkchkadgnkfacoakincdpeeg?hl=en

I upload to Garmin Connect on the website https://connect.garmin.com/modern/
    Training -> Courses -> Import (small link at the bottom)

Then transfer to Garmin using the app on phone.

Also, if you plug the 530 into your computer with https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/windows/ installed you can update the maps

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Also, probably obvious but just be aware no-ones checking these GPX’s or anything. Something that was ridden a while ago might be impassable now if it’s too overgrown or trees have fallen etc! Be prepared to divert and find your own way.

andyp79
    Free Member

I’m quite chuffed with my new Edge 530. Took a wee while to set it up and figure out the (very) basics, but I used it tonight and it’s pretty good.

I bought a silicone cover for it and that makes the buttons much easier to use and it was no problem with gloves on tonight. I’m not 100% sure how solid the strap on mount is though, but it held perfectly well on some semi rough stuff at a decent speed. I fitted the “out front” clamp but didn’t use it as it seemed a bit too far away. I’ll try that next time. Garmin don’t seem to sell the mtb mount separately, do they? It looks a little bit neater than the out front one.

I couldn’t get the jump thing to work, but maybe I’m not tying hard enough. Overall, pretty pleased with it. I’ve got it hooked up to my Trailforks account, so I’ll try the navigation functions at the weekend and see how that goes as that was something that was very appealing when I ordered it.

Andy

scotroutes

Garmin don’t seem to sell the mtb mount separately, do they?

I bought mine separately.

FWIW the Tusita branded mounts seem to be just as good and are cheaper.

andyp79
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll go and look them up.

Cheers!

luv2ride
    Free Member

I’m a pretty long term user of a 530, and it’s been great so far (upgraded from a 520 for the better mapping). However 8ve been meaning ask this on here for a while…thought it might be helpful to the OP too.
    I was mainly using mine on the road, but I now do much more light offroad/gravel riding these days, but I’ve found that the map doesn’t show a lot of bridleways or trails. I’m not following a pre-loaded GPX route, just exploring so viewing the map occasionally to figure out where I am.
    I’m sure the base map was updated not so long ago by Garmin, which at the time I assumed would provide more detail but still doesn’t show all bridleways, etc
    Anyone else find this? Ideally I wanted to avoid having to download more detailed “map tiles” from a 3rd part site, which is what I needed to do with the previous 520 due to the lack of on-board memory.
    Cheers

Stainypants

I’m not convinced that an out front mount is best got an expensive bike computer.

I had my new 530 on one, went OTB and smashed it to bits. The Garmin crash replacement service was great but it’s staying on my stem from now.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Anyone else find this? Ideally I wanted to avoid having to download more detailed “map tiles” from a 3rd part site, which is what I needed to do with the previous 520 due to the lack of on-board memory.

Why do you want to avoid this? The 530 has TONS of space, unlike the 520…so just go ahead and do it!😉

Also, GPLama did a really useful You Tube video about changing the amount of detail to be shown on the mapping screen fairly recently. Look that up as it may help you

markgraylish
    Free Member

Oh, and for any new 530 users, I’d recommend using the lanyard for the inevitable time where your knee or something else knocks the unit off the mount in a crash. Saves having to look in the undergrowth to find it again…

thepurist

If you’re using it for navigation then find the “auto recalculate” option and turn it off. If you leave it on then whenever you stray off route the garmin will recalculate a route to get you back to the point where you went off track – I’d rather just be told I’ve gone off course and work out how to get back on track myself. Once you’re back on track it re-finds the route pretty quickly.

mogrim

I’m not 100% sure how solid the strap on mount is though, but it held perfectly well on some semi rough stuff at a decent speed.

Don’t forget to use the lanyard to attach it to the bars – it’s quite easy for the Garmin to pop out of the mount in the event of a crash.

clubby

I use a steerer mount for MTB use. Nice and tucked out of the way, but still easy to read. Nukeproof one is cheapest and works well.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nukeproof-garmin-wahoo-top-cap-mount?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=109249349&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKCAjwoMSWBhAdEiwAVJ2ndr2KlEXYG0FPrAY49ByAvQu-4LAJGnC5UL-fVJgjUeUDMHRalL3-iRoCxjkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Changing the screen data on 530 takes a wee bit of time but well worth it to filter out the crap like grit/flow scores. Also makes sure you turn out the notification noise for a “jump” or it’ll drive you mad every time you roll over a decent sized rock. Wish the Garmin was right though, as according to it my biggest jump is 17ft long and 6ft high!

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s the best way to set up the device so it pretty much only does navigation ? I have no interest in heart rate monitor, calories burnt etc..

Still time to return it and get an Edge Explore, which is a much better nav device IMO.

For navigation, I plot my own routes in Strava, then they automatically sync to the Edge (or Explore) via Garmin Connect.

Beagleboy

I got my 530 as a Christmas present to myself when my work gave me a £250 voucher as a team work prize. I’ve basically just been using it as a bike computer (it very handily links to my e-bike and gives me a %age value of battery, rather than just the 5 bars), but yesterday I used it to navigate a GPX route for the first time.

I downloaded the route from my mate, and uploaded it to the gps via Trailforks on my laptop where I’m pretty you can edit the route / start point. I then went to Menu-Navigation-Course where I found a list of all my favourites and selected my mates route. The unit then asked if I wanted to navigate to the start and I said yep. I then ignored the units plaintive bleeping as I ignored it’s chosen route into Stirling, but it quickly reconfigured and quietened down. It got a bit upset again when I didn’t head for the designated start point at my mate’s house, but joined the route where I wanted to, but again it quickly settled itself.

Once on the route I was really impressed. Even with my contacts in, I could still make out the screen well enough to navigate and the mapping detail (I added Talky-Toaster maps that someone on here recommended), was very good. Only thing I wasn’t so impressed with was the Tour de France style profile graph that popped up when I hit the climb. It showed the profile, the colour coded steepest bits and a little Beagleboy dot at the very bottom. Yeah, cheers for that.

I already like my 530 for the way it allows you to customise the display. I’m particularly fond of my ‘Beers Earned’ window, but I was particularly impressed with it yesterday for the turn by turn navigation and mapping accuracy as I followed the GPX route without once having to stop and consult my paper map.

andyp79
    Free Member

I agree about the out front mount. I’d like something that has it back behind the bars somewhere.

I can’t seem to get the jump thing working, it tracks the Grit and Flow (which I am never going to use) but not the jumps. Anyway, I’ll sort it with use I’m sure.

Setting up the data screens did take a wee while but I’ve got them as I want them, for now anyway. I’ll try the maps downloads too, thanks for that tip as well.

scotroutes

My MTB mount is reversed so that the Edge is actually sitting over the stem.

andyp79
    Free Member

That’s the setup I was picturing but the mtb mount seems dear. I’ve just ordered one of the Nukeproof top cap mounts though, after looking at the various options. I may well end up with the mtb mount later, but I’ll see how this goes.

nickc

I’m not convinced that an out front mount is best got an expensive bike computer.

I’ve got a couple of these that sit on the top tube, there’s a choice of curved or flat base so you get good adhesion, haven’t fallen out in a crash yet, and I’ve erm… “tested ” that function pretty comprehensively

scotroutes

@andyp79 – the top cap mount looks like a good option but I sometimes use a top tube bag and it would interfere.

@nickc
    – I was concerned that would mount it too far back to be able to read it easily, but also the top tube bag issue.

clubby

@andyp79 I don’t think the jumps show up on the Garmin unit, but you can find all the data on Garmin Connect once the ride uploads.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.