Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin Edge 500 issues
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I went out for a ride yesterday and before leaving I turned on my Garmin Edge 500, which then froze on the start up ‘garmin’ screen. I left it on thinking it would eventually start but it didn’t.

Got home and the garmin then came alive with the ‘movement detected – press start’ screen. Helpful as I’d finished my ride. Switched it off, then on and it froze again so left it on, it shut down automatically after the usual time, switched on again and it worked okay. And again worked fine on this mornings commute.

Plugged it in to my laptop to upload data and its just hanging on the ‘Reading activities from Edge 500 (Unit ID xxxxx…, please wait…’ screen. I did manage to upload this mornings ride manually.

Any idea whats going on with it? I did a master reset yesterday but it’s still misbehaving.

Just turned it on again and it is at least booting up.

Sandwich

Is the firmware up to date? Maybe a reset and then re-install the firmware via web-updater.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes its running the latest firmware. How do you do a reset to wipe everything?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Check the section in the instructions on how to format.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I did a reset yesterday as per the instructions on the garmin site but it kept all ride data and only erased the set up details. I thought a master reset would erase everything then I could do a fresh install. This doesn’t seem to have worked though.

stufive
    Free Member

I had similar problems with a 500 i went through garmin help and they couldnt..so i was offered a fix price replacement for £68 so i took it..i thought it was quite good for a 3 year old machine turned out mine was water damage

Gary_M
    Free Member

mmm its just over a year old and not had any water near it for weeks, lets hope its not totally knackered. I can upload the ride data manually.

Leigh
    Free Member

Have you updated the software lately? I had trouble after I updated mine and it had to go back to Garmin to be fixed

Gary_M
    Free Member

Whenever the last update came out, couple of months ago maybe.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Mine does that when it gets too much data on it. Have you tried removing all the ride data off it manually?

Plug into USB on pooter and open ‘Garmin’ folder and then open ‘Activities’.

Cut all the ride data in there i.e. the *.fit files and copy them to an external hard drive or wherever you want to back up data.

You should now have an empty Activities folder (or perhaps just leave the last few rides in there).

Close the file and unplug. Garmin should boot up and find satellites and upload/download a lot quicker.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 500 issues’ is closed to new replies.