Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Garmin Autopause Can Go Away (or is there something I'm missing) !
  • excitable1
    Free Member

(None sweary version of my earlier (now deleted) post…)

Plotted a route on Bikehike last week, 37.7k up one way & down another off Helvellyn with a few extra bits thrown in.

Rode out Saturday and the Garmin finished up showing 33k and 2000m of climbing.

Checked Garmin Connect & Strava Saturday night and it’s clearly straight lined some of the route, mostly on the hike-a-bike sections.

It’s an 810 and the Autopause was set to ‘when stopped’. I’ve turned it off completely now in anger ! Mate I rode with has a 510 and he had the same straight line issues but his elevation was about right.

So, am I missing something in the settings, is Autopause to blame, is my Garmin broken or is it just disappointing poor performance from Garmin ?

wwaswas

losing gps signal can give the symptoms you’re seeing.

STATO
    Free Member

Not really any need for autopause these days with Strava and Garmin able to calculate riding time after the fact.

excitable1
    Free Member

losing gps signal can give the symptoms you’re seeing.

It was on the climb up Helvellyn from Grasmere and then again from Glenridding, some of the highest open points. I wouldn’t’ve expected to lose GPS signal then and it didn’t beep to say it had.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just leave it off, never seen the point especially if you get the accompanying beeps…

excitable1
    Free Member

Not really any need for autopause these days with Strava and Garmin able to calculate riding time after the fact.

I know what you mean. This route took us nearly 6hrs but it had the riding time down as 3hrs 20mins. I’m not happy with that either. A ride is a ride including the hikeabike in my book. If you’re stopped for a mechanical or cake then that’s a ‘pause’.

I think I’ll go back to the good old days of pausing it myself when I genuinely stop !

jam-bo

I’m not happy

But did you enjoy your ride?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But why bother pausing it? You will only forget to start it again.

excitable1
    Free Member

But did you enjoy your ride?

If you’d have asked us that on the last hikeabike up to the summit in a foot of snow, a biting wind, cold hands, achey shoulders, no visibility and only the Garmin purple line for a guide, I’d have told you to… sorry can’t swear on here anymore….. but at the end of the ride and four of the best descents the Lakes has to offer, cor blimey yes !!!

Drac

Mechanicals and breaks are part of a ride. Through the Garmin in the bin and enjoy the ride.

excitable1
    Free Member

Mechanicals and breaks are part of a ride. Through the Garmin in the bin and enjoy the ride.

…agreed in part about what’s part of the ride etc, but for exploring and life saving with the right maps the Garmin is an essential but of kit.

Following the correct and safe pre plotted line in those conditions at the summit is irreplaceable. It would have been so easy to drift off and end up over an edge up there on Saturday.

MadPierre

Yep Auto pause will do that. It can’t handle going very slow, some tight switchbacks etc…. No need to have it on I can think of so turn it off.

traildog
    Free Member

Stopping is part of the ride, so why do you want to not record it? Turn your Garmin on when the ride starts and off when it finishes. Don’t bother with Auto or even manual stopping. What’s the point of using a data logger, and then only log part of the ride?

Do you have a Ant speed sensor?

excitable1
    Free Member

Stopping is part of the ride, so why do you want to not record it?

traildog… I think you’ve misunderstood… I don’t mind it recording when I’ve stopped, I wish it bloody would record (oops, is that too much swearing ST Towers ?). It seems to be straight lining because it thinks it’s stopped when I’m actually walking. God knows how it thinks I got to where I did without moving for half an hour… Teleport maybe !

Do you have a Ant speed sensor?

…No.

Anyways, autopause is off now and will never again be on again.

gary

You do know that there is a configurable speed threshold for the auto pause?

excitable1
    Free Member

You do know that there is a configurable speed threshold for the auto pause?

Yep, had it set to ‘when stopped’, can’t get any slower than that !

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

never have auto pause on the garmin on the MTB as it kicks in all the time on slow/tight twisty climbs. Have it on road bike by force of habit but yes Strava effectively does the same calculation.

traildog
    Free Member

I think you’ve misunderstood… I don’t mind it recording when I’ve stopped, I wish it bloody would record

Sorry, I have misunderstood. Why have auto pause on at all then? What it does is turn itself off when it thinks you’ve stopped. So if you’re moving slowly probably thinks you’ve stopped therefore won’t record, then picks up again when it thinks you’re moving again, so you get big gaps and straight lines.

I don’t understand any reason for anger towards it 😥

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

put auto pause to zero. If its set higher and your going up something steep it will pause.

njee20
    Free Member

Meh, from a training point of view I want to know how many hours I’ve done, and don’t want to include any cafe/piss/puncture stops in that.

Stopping is part of the ride, so why do you want to not record it?

As above. I’ve actually done about 60 hours riding this week. Well… I’ve done about 2 hours, but there’s been 4 work days intersecting each ride!

traildog
    Free Member

Meh, from a training point of view I want to know how many hours I’ve done, and don’t want to include any cafe/piss/puncture stops in that.

But by not including your resting periods you’re not really tracking your training very well. How many and how long your rests are affects how hard the ride is.
    e.g Race to the cafe nearly emptying W’, sit chilling for an hour, start riding again and if you haven’t recorded the fact that you’ve recovered for an hour and your W’ is back to full.

wilburt
    Free Member

Strava only auto pauses at zero so regardless of whatever you set the Garmin at it will include the slow sections.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Autopause Can Go Away (or is there something I'm missing) !’ is closed to new replies.