• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cp.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Garmin 800 mapping software.
  • mactheknife

This year i am currently planning a lot of biking trips, I have a vague plan to plot these onto routes on the OS getamap site then convert them to files to then use on a Garmin 800.

So which version of the OS mapping software do you guys recommend.

I see there are open-source versions out there but i am more than happy to pay for the correct and up to date versions.

scotroutes

On road or off-road?

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

I use Memory Map & use a gpx file to add to Garmin.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mactheknife

Yep, it will be offroad routes. Im extremely happy using map and compass but for ease when riding i thouht this might be a plan, albeit expensive. 😯

composite
    Free Member

On my Garmin Edge 800 I have the full GB 1:50000 scale maps (explorer?)

To plot routes I tend to use getamap to get the route down using the OS maps. At this stage though they are pretty much just lines of coordinates. I then export the TCX and take that into ridewithGPS. From there I then leave the off road bits alone but fix the road parts to “follow the roads”. This then gives you a cue sheet that means you get turn by turn navigation on the road sections, and any of the complicated looking off road bits (bits where you think you might go wrong) I then add custom cue sheet entries that say stuff like turn right, turn left.

Yes this is a pain in the arse and I don’t do it for every route and often I’ll do something in between what I have described.

EDIT: I’m someone who was very happy with map and compass as well, but getting the Edge 800 and not having to stop and do all that with the map is very convenient.

scotroutes

If you buy the 1:50k maps for your Garmin then Basecamp will use them if your Garmin is plugged into your PC. If you don’t need 1:25k mapping, this may be all you need.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I’m contemplating an 800 or something similar but it now sounds rather more complicated than I thought. Isn’t there some simple way that would, for example, let me plan my route by Pc then send it to the GPS which would then display it. Without coneverting and swapping. My current sytem, which doesn’t show maps, but otherwise works fine does just that .I build a route on the maps on the PC, send it as a GPX file to the GPS and its done.
    Must admit to using a less common program, Touratech QV as used to create Dakar rally roadbooks as well.

scotroutes

As I said, get the 1:50k mapping, use Garmin Basecamp for route planning. No conversions or swapping necessary.

Hooter
    Free Member

If you don’t want to pay for the 1:50k is maps, you can use bikehike.co.uk to generate routes using OS maps and then download the GPX file. Also I think some people have sorted free openstreetmap maps to work with Garmin GPS devices, tho not tried it myself.

cp

I build a route on the maps on the PC, send it as a GPX file to the GPS and its done.

That’s all you have to do on the 800

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

1:50,000 OS maps are great for 800. A lot of tracks etc arent where their supposed to be and its ideal to be able to look on garmin and choose the best route. Garmin has free base camp software far better than the online mapping stuff.

jonba
    Free Member

Garmin PC software is a bit rubbish. Or maybe my PC is too slow. I have the UK OS maps which is fine on the unit but so slow as to be unusable on my PC.

I use bikeroutetoaster for most things local. If you get properly out into the country then it becomes a bit limited as it is OSM not OS.

walkthehighlands has full uk 1:25k OS mapping and the ability to plot routes if you log on.

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Is a godsend letting you run multiple maps next to each other. Route bit is a bit rubbish.

On Biketoaster I can export direct to my GPS. On the others I normally save as GPX and put onto my GPS using basecamp.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“That’s all you have to do on the 800”
    Using what software on the PC?

jonba
    Free Member

Garmin communicator I think?

scotroutes

Garmin Basecamp 🙄

http://www.garmin.com/uk/maps/trip-planning-software/basecamp

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B063d0890-ec56-11df-6b4e-000000000000%7D

Will my Edge 800 work with BaseCamp or MapSource?

Garmin’s BaseCamp and MapSource software allows the transfer and receiving of waypoints, routes, and tracks between a Garmin GPS device and computer, as well as the ability to create waypoints, routes, and tracks on these mapping programs.

The Edge 800 is able to receive waypoints, routes, and tracks from both programs, however the device is not able to transfer workouts, courses, and saved locations to BaseCamp or MapSource.

The Edge 800 will display the transferred waypoints in Where To? under Locations, while routes and tracks will show under Courses. Please see Garmin’s glossary for more information on waypoints, routes, and tracks.

cp

Using what software on the PC?

Whatever you’re currently using to generate your GPX.

All the above talk is just variations on the mapping used on the PC or Garmin device. If you’re just generating a GPX and transferring across then none of this will concern you.

If you have the OS mapping on the 800, then the GPX will be overlaid on the map. If you don’t have a map on the 800, then you’ll just get a line to follow, like you currently have.

mattsccm
    Free Member

AH.
    The benefit of TTQV is that I don’t but maps, just capture what I need, calibrate them to the grid system in question , then create a map. It automatically provides a snap shot of the map as well if wanted. Not everyones cup of tea but it works.
    Now to find a cheap 800

mactheknife

Cheers for all the info, gotta go find some OS maps for Scotland and a decent priced 800. Ta.

cp

The best/easiest way of getting os maps displayed on an 800 is to buy new and get the trail package which includes the UK at 1:50k. There are deals around for under 300.

Once you have those, then you can use the free Garmin basecamp software on the pc as described above to do route planning.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 800 mapping software.’ is closed to new replies.