Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Garmin 64 GPS bundle on OS site
  • mlke
    Free Member

I know nothing about GPSs but it seems like time to learn about them so I can do some Highland cycle camping routes in the spring/Summer. There’s an offer on the OS site of a Garmin 64 bundle with full OS maps plus GetaMap for £275.

Is this a decent Garmin for mountinbiking? I want to navigate, load on routes and maybe store my routes on a PC. Decent battery life and may recharge via hub or similar may be good so I don’t end up lost and in the sh1te
    I don’t need to do clever GPS training plans or Geocaching (not quite sure what that is but I don’t think I need to do it.)

njee20
    Free Member

I have the OS 1:50k maps on my Edge 1000 (you can get them for c£20 on ioffer) and whilst they look pretty I’d say navigating is easier and more accurate with the free OSM Maps.

mlke
    Free Member

Thanks njee
    Has any one else helpful thoughts on GPSs?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

That looks to be a decent price for that bundle. You might get cheaper by shopping around though. You’ll have the option of using Garmin Basecamp or OS Getamap for doing route planning too.

FWIW, the OSM maps are pretty shite compared with proper Ordnance Survey stuff once you’re out in the hills like you plan to be so you’d definitely need to factor that in.

The G64 doesn’t (AFAIK) support the likes of cadence/heart rate sensors – that may not bother you.

It’s good that it (optionally) runs off AA batteries as you’ll need that ability for multi-day rides.

I currently use an Oregon 600 as I prefer the touch screen interface and it’s a smaller unit without needing all that space for buttons.

devash
    Free Member

Have a look at the eTrex series (20 or 30, the base model can’t take maps). They’re cheaper than the 64, easier to mount on bars / stems, and as far as I’m aware the only major difference is that the 64 has the large external antenna (better reception).

I have the eTrex 20 and its been fantastic for discovering new trails and planning rides.

njee20
    Free Member

FWIW, the OSM maps are pretty shite compared with proper Ordnance Survey stuff once you’re out in the hills like you plan to be so you’d definitely need to factor that in.

I guess it depends on the coverage – as they’re open source. Down here (where there are more people to populate it) there are loads more paths marked than are official rights of way. So the OS map has you riding through a blank field, whilst the OSM maps have loads of trails marked on, complete with names. Obviously OS has contour lines and amenities and what not, but I find OSM easier in use.

The Garmin OS maps also aren’t that accurate – if you zoom in to a useful scale it nearly always shows me as riding off the road/path – not a problem on the road as junctions are obvious, but off road I’d sooner use OSM I reckons.

1:25k OS may be better, but only available for National Parks IIRC.

scotroutes

njee20 – Member
    I guess it depends on the coverage – as they’re open source. Down here (where there are more people to populate it) there are loads more paths marked than are official rights of way. So the OS map has you riding through a blank field, whilst the OSM maps have loads of trails marked on, complete with names. Obviously OS has contour lines and amenities and what not, but I find OSM easier in use.

That’s exactly the issue. Too much space and not enough folk up here 🙂

TBH, the contours are pretty much essential too, though there are Open Source solutions for that too.

1:25K OS mapping for Garmin is available for the whole of the UK but it’s a bit spendy!

njee20
    Free Member

At the contour lines on a 1:50k (on an Edge 1000 at least) just aren’t adequate resolution to be of use I’m finding.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 64 GPS bundle on OS site’ is closed to new replies.